Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #2181
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don’t think freeing up a roster spot is irrelevant. I think another issue not enough of us are taking into account is that a veteran player often doesn’t handle being scratched gracefully. You think Brouwer is going to be happy and cool with being the 13th or 14th forward? It’s possible he might but it’s as likely or moreso that he pouts, complains and becomes a distraction.
If he does that, you send his ass to Stockton. If he's dumb enough not to report, you have grounds to terminate his contract. No distraction.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #2182
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
You can't buy draft picks or prospects for cash.

Yea but you can take assets back with a salary dump.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #2183
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's a bit random but just ran into Chad Johnson at a wedding and had a good chat, says calgary had an offer of 2m for him last year but Murray wouldn't match buffalo's offer and even said last year there was a trade in the works for him from calgary at the deadline. Just found it interesting he kept bringing up Murrays name.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #2184
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
It's a bit random but just ran into Chad Johnson at a wedding and had a good chat, says calgary had an offer of 2m for him last year but Murray wouldn't match buffalo's offer and even said last year there was a trade in the works for him from calgary at the deadline. Just found it interesting he kept bringing up Murrays name.
Interesting. This would probably mean that the Flames (although it wouldn't be surprising as I'm sure all NHL teams do it) made an offer to Johnson during the courting period rather than July 1st because they traded for Eddie Lack June 29th.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #2185
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Interesting. This would probably mean that the Flames (although it wouldn't be surprising as I'm sure all NHL teams do it) made an offer to Johnson during the courting period rather than July 1st because they traded for Eddie Lack June 29th.

I believe Eric Francis was running heavily with the “don’t be surprised to see Johnson back in Calgary” angle after we dealt him as well.

Always cool to hear deals that almost happened.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #2186
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, can you clarify? Murray was already out as GM of the Sabres. When Chad Johnson signed his last contract with the Sabres, Botterill was GM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #2187
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Sorry, can you clarify? Murray was already out as GM of the Sabres. When Chad Johnson signed his last contract with the Sabres, Botterill was GM.
I'm assuming he means Murray Edwards wouldn't allow Brad to go above 2M. Probably means ownership still has heavy influence when it comes to where to spend the money.

That's how I read it. "Murray" could totally be Tim Murray. Or even Matt Murray...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #2188
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe hes referring to Murray Edward's? Only Murray I know in the Flames org.

NM beaten to it
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #2189
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Yea but you can take assets back with a salary dump.
So you want to use assets to dump Brouwer's salary somewhere else, in order to have the cap space to get assets for someone else's salary dump?

Seriously, why not just keep the problem you already have?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #2190
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I'm assuming he means Murray Edwards wouldn't allow Brad to go above 2M. Probably means ownership still has heavy influence when it comes to where to spend the money.

That's how I read it. "Murray" could totally be Tim Murray. Or even Matt Murray...
It’s his money, I think it’s foolish to assume an owner of any sports team doesn’t have a say in how money is spent. Owners meddle and unfortunately it happens to pretty much every team in sports (of course to varying degrees, Melnyk/Katz/Dundon being extreme examples).
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #2191
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Who the hell brings up their income at a social event? That’s freaking weird.

He was gloriously mediocre, glad he’s with another team.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #2192
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
6 months from now we'll all be saying 'dougie who?'

Who here knows me to be a flames rose coloured optimist or cheerleader?

I maintain, right now, Hanifin is a better 3 zone defender than Hamilton. He will not score as many goals, but that's low on my priority for guys charged primarily with prevented them and moving the puck quickly and effectively out of danger areas. I think Hanifin is already better at that than Hamilton is.

Can't believe the Flames were on the positive end of capitalizing on the high water mark for players.
Man I feel bad for Hanifin as this place is going to be hard on him when many here see the reality that he's still work in progress and likely will not live up to early expectations. He's been playing sheltered minutes in Carolina and is still not very good defensively. Posts like this don't help as it's totally incorrect that he's already a better 3 zone defender than Hamilton. He could end up the better defenseman long term but right now he's clearly not and the verdict is out if he will ever be. Obviously the Hurricanes didn't think he was going to be and they have a better handle on him than anyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #2193
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post

I really wish Murray Edwards would find a local buyer and get out. If we live on in another place when we pass from this lifetime I am sure that when Murray goes he will be greeted by Harley Hotchkiss holding a baseball bat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #2194
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Who the hell brings up their income at a social event? That’s freaking weird.

He was gloriously mediocre, glad he’s with another team.
I find the more interesting part is that there was a trade in place to get him back last year. My guess is that was when Smith was hurt, the Flames were trying to get him to run with the starts to try to keep the team afloat.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #2195
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I really wish Murray Edwards would find a local buyer and get out. If we live on in another place when we pass from this lifetime I am sure that when Murray goes he will be greeted by Harley Hotchkiss holding a baseball bat.
Be very careful what you ask for. You only need to look at the Canucks, Oilers, Senators to see that things can be much, much worse.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #2196
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Be very careful what you ask for. You only need to look at the Canucks, Oilers, Senators to see that things can be much, much worse.
Yes, they could be much much worse than even that when the owner clearly does not care to make a deal for a new arena or even cares about the city any more. Those teams you listed are poor teams but a poor team is better than no team.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #2197
theTrumanShow
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed! Step up Shaw Family! Save the Flames. New rink..
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #2198
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #2199
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, they could be much much worse than even that when the owner clearly does not care to make a deal for a new arena or even cares about the city any more. Those teams you listed are poor teams but a poor team is better than no team.
I don't know what to say to you as you are a little disillusioned here. There's not a new ownership group around the corner that is going to want to pay top dollar for the Flames and be stuck playing with one of the oldest arenas in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTrumanShow View Post
Agreed! Step up Shaw Family! Save the Flames. New rink..
Shaw? Have you ever been a Shaw customer? You want them running the Flames?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-19-2018 at 09:55 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #2200
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did he try to catch the bouquet? Was it high glove side?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread