Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #101
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Spent lots & lots of time working in Winnipeg, unfortunately a high amount of people I worked with lost interest with the "Jets" and simply were not "Avalanche" fans.
Nor Coyotes fans I assume.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #102
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe? Obviously being fans we know all the players etc...

I would follow initially but I think that would fall off fairly quickly
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #103
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Nor Coyotes fans I assume.
Oh man.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #104
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

of course I would.

I watch because I love the sport, enjoy watching the players on my team. Im not watching the owners skate around....
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #105
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can already see the classy "Seattle is no good" thread starting...
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #106
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha follow the team to Seattle?

The only reason I cheer for the Flames is because they're the home town team.....I can't understand how anyone else would choose to cheer for this team considering they have been essentially a middling franchise for the last 25 years.

I would assume most people would fall out of the NHL circle altogether or migrate to backing the Oilers. I can see myself moving towards the latter.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #107
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nope. I grew up in Canmore which is why I have always cheered for the Flames, even after moving to Ontario. Since entering my 30's and having children however, I already find I am not as invested as I once was (especially with the games starting so late for me). If the Flames leave Calgary, there's really not much attaching me to the team anymore - other than hoping the individual players I like do well.

I'd likely become a Leafs fan to be honest - I've been out here for as long as I was in Alberta at this point, and it would be far easier to be invested in a team that is local.
Rubicant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #108
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What you are ignoring is that the Flames owners simply will not accept what the city has put forth and as long as Nenshi is mayor that's not going to change. If the plan backfires there is absolutely no way the Flames go back to negotiating with their tails between their legs. They will move to Seattle. I expect the Seattle rumors to begin shortly after Nenshi is re-elected.
If Nenshi is re-elected, they have to wait four more years to try again. While I realize sports fans love to personalize every conflict, their business sense will lead them back to the table even if Nenshi is re-elected.

As far as relocation rumours go, if they decide to double down, absolutely I can see them spreading that as FUD. Except that everyone who matters already knows its an empty threat. Not the least of which because the NHL stands to make a half billion in free expansion money from Seattle. A relocation wouldn't be worth a quarter of that.

Quote:
I just went through this on Raiders forums where for a few years Oakland residents said Mark Davis's threats were 100% empty just like you. When he visited San Antonio they laughed it off as a negotiating tactic. They knew that the NFL didn't want them in LA so they felt once the Rams got that deal that Davis would have to raise the white flag and accept whatever the city would give them. They didn't even believe the Vegas threats.......until it happened and they all flipped out. It was interesting to see as an outsider as the Oakland people really thought the Raiders would never move just like a lot of fans here believe the Flames won't. Mark Davis really, really wanted to stay in Oakland but the mayor of that city was never truly interested in getting a deal done and now the team is moving to Las Vegas. The Flames really want to stay in Calgary but the mayor of this city really isn't interested in getting a deal done. Sounds familiar.
This is irrelevant for a couple reasons. First, the NFL already lost an anti-trust suit in 1982 to Mark Davis' father over an attempt to block the original relocation of the Raiders to Los Angeles, and the NFL has pretty much just rubber stamped an owner's relocation proposal ever since. While that certainly could be argued as a legal precedent against the NHL, the fact that Canadian law also applies muddies the waters here.

More significantly, NHL policy has long been that relocation is a last resort. The NHL has consistently bent over backwards to ensure teams are viable in existing markets. It beggars belief to think that the league would work hard to keep teams viable in Glendale, Atlanta, Newark, Raleigh and Sunrise - and even Winnipeg in 1995 - but just shrug its shoulders on Calgary.

No, the simple reality is that as long as there is a group willing to own and operate a team in Calgary, the Flames are going nowhere. If Edwards really wanted to go to Seattle (where he'd have to fight for control over the local group that already has their arena plan laid out), the league would pressure him to sell Calgary and buy an expansion franchise in Seattle.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #109
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never lived in Calgary so I don't have that same "city loyalty" kind of dynamic that most of you do. That said, I love that they are the CALGARY Flames.

If they moved, and I don't think it will happen, I would likely follow them.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #110
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're not leaving, and I'm not following if they do.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #111
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Spent lots & lots of time working in Winnipeg, unfortunately a high amount of people I worked with lost interest with the "Jets" and simply were not "Avalanche" fans.

I expect the same would occur with the Flames if they relocated

Hard core fans most likely will keep interest, many of the others will not.
I think that the "Jets" became the "Coyotes" if I'm not mistaken.

I would be more casual but still watch.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #112
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's a tough question. I'm a born and raised Vancouverite and been a die hard Flames fan since around 87. I don't have the same loyalty to city as many do on these message boards but it just wouldn't be the same to cheer for the team elsewhere. And besides I'm a getting to be a bitter old C@#$.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #113
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in Vancouver now so it would actually make it easier for me to see them.

But no, I think I'd be pretty bitter about the whole situation if it came to that. Especially if they went on to success.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #114
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I've never lived in Calgary so I don't have that same "city loyalty" kind of dynamic that most of you do. That said, I love that they are the CALGARY Flames.

If they moved, and I don't think it will happen, I would likely follow them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
That's a tough question. I'm a born and raised Vancouverite and been a die hard Flames fan since around 87. I don't have the same loyalty to city as many do on these message boards but it just wouldn't be the same to cheer for the team elsewhere. And besides I'm a getting to be a bitter old C@#$.
You dont have to be loyal to the city on these boards. This is a Flames board, for those that love and support the Flames. This isn't a City of Calgary lover message board.

Ive been a Dallas Cowboys fan since i was a kid, however couldnt care less about Dallas as a city. So you can always still cheer for the Flames no matter where they are! I know i will.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #115
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

God no. If they left it would be such a massive kick in the balls to the fans. How could anyone say yes to cheering for a team that would do that to a great market like Calgary?

I'd probably still follow NHL hockey but I wouldn't have a favourite team. I'd still hate the Oilers but I wouldn't support anyone until Calgary got a new team.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #116
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used to be a huge Montreal Expos fan, but I haven't watched a baseball game since they moved to Washington. I suspect the same would happen if the Flames left.

There is too much money in big sports. If the Flames leave I would be strictly a CFL fan.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #117
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is no scenario where I could imagine cheering for the same team as Seattle Seahawks fans. They are the Canucks fans of the NFL. So if the Flames moved to Seattle I would immediately cheer against them. If that were the case, I can only hope they change their name and jersey.

If they moved elsewhere, I would still be a fan of the team but would move toward the casual fan level. I enjoy the Flames/NHL, NFL, and various soccer leagues equally now, but truthfully the only thing that keeps hockey at the level of the other two sports for me is attending games in person. As a season ticket holder, watching games in person is something I love as watching hockey on TV is awful - the angles used by TV broadcasts do not allow one to properly evaluate players and tactics - but without that in-person experience I would favor NFL/soccer.

But, all that said, the chances of the team leaving are minuscule so I will continue supporting them with extreme dedication and continue buying season tickets as hard as they are making it with their recent arena tactics.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #118
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #119
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure where all this Seattle talk is coming from.

The NHL is cozying up to China, the Flames would move to Beijing first. If Johnny was concerned about living far from home now?

Beijing Flames?

....Hypothetically speaking of course.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #120
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like many have said, it's not going to happen. Why in God's holy name would the BoG approve moving a money making franchise? Remember, all the owners need to approve a move.

If by some miracle they moved, I think there would be a lineup of about 1,000 billionaires across the globe ready to put a new team in Calgary. It's a cash cow.

I'd likely start following/supporting the new professional hockey club in Calgary if it were to happen. I'd obviously be interested to see how the players I've become fond of like Monahan and Tkachuk are doing, and I would cheer for them individually, but not as a club.

The Flames make money. They want the city to subsidize a rink so they can make MORE money by charging us, the fans, more. Not cool.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: