Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #61
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man this one is shocking for sure. Loved him as a goalie and will always remember him for his spark plug attitude. He's got his name on the cup and surely won't be forgotten.

RIP big man.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #62
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
For some people, virtue-signalling is never out of place.
And for others, substituting original thinking for internet memes and code words isn't either. Surprised you didn't call him a c u c k. Womp womp. That #### is instra-ignore.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #63
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm really not saying anything about Emery or XXXTentacion, but it is quite the contrast to XXXTentacion's death thread where he was randomly murdered in a robbery gone wrong. The majority of the posters (of the few posts) were quick to point out his alleged beating of his girlfriend, said "Good riddance," "play stupid games" "they weren't going to lament the loss" etc. etc. He had not been found guilty at the time of his murder either.

My opinion is that Emery, being a hockey player we had all watched, is a bit more close to home than an up and coming rapper and therefore a bit more empathy for us.
Thanks for pointing that out. The response is a bit perplexing.

You also see posters wishing for injury on players just because they had a big hit on one of ours. Or everyone being happy that Burrows had to retire because he's known as a dirty hockey player.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #64
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know a lot of Emery's really close friends. They always said how great of a guy he was. They would go on buddy trips to visit him and he would buy them a suite to watch the game in. Never forgot his old friends from when he grew up. He did have his issues but had a huge heart. Heard from a first responder that guys on the boat had bets on who could swim from the boat to the dock after partying all night and Ray didn't make it. It's to bad, if he wasn't good at hockey he'd be likely alive today and maybe for another 40-50 years. Crazy where life takes you and the good and bad decisions you make.

Last edited by loob job; 07-16-2018 at 09:47 AM.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #65
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My stag ran into Emery and Heatley 5 or 6 years ago one summer in Kelowna. In our beer filled splendor, my bro (who is a HUGE Isles fan) bet him $500 the Flyers wouldn't make the playoffs that year (a lot of dough for my brother, but f-all for Emery). They shook, phone numbers exchanged, and that was the end of it.

Emery almost single handedly got the Flyers in that year with his play down the stretch. When they made it in, almost immediately my brother got a text saying thanks for the bet, but don't worry about paying it. All good.

I'd like to think the Flyers owe my stepbrother a lot of thanks for giving Ray the motivation to play like that. I doubt it had anything to do with it, but hey it's a #coolstorybro for a guy that was pretty cool to hang with a bunch of drunk dudes talking trash about his team, took it all in good fun, and made a friendly bet that he actually remembered 8 months later. Guy seemed like a bit of a hot head on the ice, but that wasn't the impression I got off ice.

Anyway. RIP.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Some report was saying he hit his head while diving into the water.

Presumably got knocked out and drowned. Hopefully it wasn't painful
I read that report and found it strange.

If you're on a boat you're usually not in water that shallow or close to rocks that big.

In which case this would be classified as a freak accident.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #67
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I read that report and found it strange.

If you're on a boat you're usually not in water that shallow or close to rocks that big.

In which case this would be classified as a freak accident.
There are also all sorts of floating/resting objects that could be below the surface and not very visible.

Either way, diving is not advised, feet first is the way to go.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #68
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awful news
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #69
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Who would want to dive into Hamilton harbor though??

Weird.

RIP
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #70
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Who would want to dive into Hamilton harbor though??

Weird.

RIP
This, IMO, is the weird part. People who live in the GTA generally don't swim in Lake Ontario. Pretty nasty water
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #71
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Condolences to him and his family. Such a shame.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #72
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since it's off-season I always like to come to CP in the hopes of reading some kind of hockey-related news and passing the time. But it's super depressing to see this thread in the middle of all the other news threads. Very sad news for a guy who we all watched at some point, rooted for to beat the Ducks in the Finals, and then cursed his name when he had a career night vs the Flames. I'm just glad he got to lift the Cup when he won it with the Hawks.

I always like Emery and thought his personality was good for hockey. During a time when we were flooded with ''boring'' interviews and personalities, Emery brought a bit of bad-ass to the game. I wasn't aware of his off-ice issues with his girlfriend, so won't bother commenting on them as I don't really know any information. But I do know that Emery is close to my age, so it's pretty surreal to think of all my life ahead of me, and how Emery won't get the chance to live his.

There's a lesson to be learned here. Life can be cut short at a moments noticed and lives changed forever. RIP Ray Emery.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-16-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #73
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy i was coaching with was friends with Emery and we all went out the night before the Flyers played the Flames in 2010. Can honestly say what a friendly great guy. Wouldn't let me pay for anything.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #74
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awful news far too young. It always moves me especially when someone young passes especially suddenly. Guess that is what happens when you get older.
He was a real lightning bolt of energy for OTT when he was on the top of his game. Cant forget how he loved to drop the equipment to scrap and he smiled while he was going at it.
Truly sad news.