Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #21
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy and I have had seasons for 12 years. We find the tact taken by the organization to be bush league. Seems like a bunch of ham fisted good old boys who think bluster and threats are the route to negotiations. The twitter nonsense is just more of the same tone deaf defiance by entitled knobs.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Do your posts here represent the views of the firm who employs you?
Does that firm monitor your posts to insure proper messaging? Should they?
Or is it only in certain circumstances that this standard becomes relevant?
Well it is relevant. My firm provides social media training to everyone. I am not saying it should impact anyone's ticket buying decisions, but I do think Flames employees should be sensitive to what they say on the topic in social media. Its just common sense, isn't it?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well it is relevant. My firm provides social media training to everyone. I am not saying it should impact anyone's ticket buying decisions, but I do think Flames employees should be sensitive to what they say on the topic in social media. Its just common sense, isn't it?
I don't know this Kelso guy, and I don't usually relish in someone losing their job, but, in this instance, he'd likely be the guy leading the social media training seminars.

Mistakes happen, but if a firefighter starts a fire or a cop breaks the law, or a chef burns a steak, or a forklift driver crashes their forklift or...I kinda feel like they are maybe not great at their jobs.

It's Calgary, and it's the Flames, so probably nothing comes of it, but short of a dick pic or a richard spencer follow, this is about as big of a professional ####up as a guy in his position can have.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #24
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Nothing at all has affected me about what the Flames are doing.

It's just business.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No surprises here at all. Politics at play all the time. This has no bearing on me purchasing season tickets. I’ll continue to purchase my season tickets without hesitation.
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #26
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the way the arena negotiation has gone. I just really want the deal done but at the same time the 20% increase that is likely to come with the new building and potential ticket tax increase to fund the new rink is going to be costly.

I plan to keep my tickets for the foreseeable future as I have high hopes for deep playoff runs and I want to be in the building for that.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #27
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

dp.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #28
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really didn't care that they blatantly favoured Bill Smith (though there was no formal endorsement to my knowledge). They're a business in the City of Calgary. They have every right to support whoever they want.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of tact, and the threats, from CSEC to this point. However, I still think this is all posturing, and will be water under the bridge once the arena is built (just as the rage and angst dissipated in Edmonton the moment the arena opened).

So, for now at least, I continue to try and keep hockey and the arena debate separate.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #30
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just cheer for the laundry.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #31
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Yeah, after this season I’m out.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #32
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I really didn't care that they blatantly favoured Bill Smith (though there was no formal endorsement to my knowledge). They're a business in the City of Calgary. They have every right to support whoever they want.
I'd like to see if they contributed financially to his campaign.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #33
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, it won't make a difference right away.

But I can't go to every game, and I kept the tickets for a number of years where I was losing money (selling for less than STH price) on a lot of the games I didn't go to. Right now the team is good, so that isn't as much of an issue except for the preseason, but I kept them before out of a sense of loyalty to the team.

They've crushed that loyalty on the business side with the extreme levels of dbaggery, so if it doesn't make sense for me as a strictly rational transaction then I'll cancel them.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #34
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Do your posts here represent the views of the firm who employs you?
Does that firm monitor your posts to insure proper messaging? Should they?
Or is it only in certain circumstances that this standard becomes relevant?
Pretty obvious and significant difference between someone posting mostly anonymously on a fan message board and posting from a verified account in an official capacity on behalf of the team, comparing the mayor to one of the worst worm brains alive. Mind boggling that this isnt immediately apparent to anyone.

Edit- appears it is not a verified account BUT... the guy is the director of communications for the Flames. How can we be so stupid to not think that that dumbass #### wouldn’t get picked up? Incompetence.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-17-2017 at 11:47 PM.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #35
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You may be making a bit too much of of the statements. And as an individual, one's own thoughts and words do not necessarily represent those of their employer. That's pretty straight forward stuff.
The Flames probably need to reconsider their public face, as it has taken a hit during this process. His position is likely one that will be reviewed.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #36
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, what they said.
Quote:
The Flames issued a statement Tuesday morning, saying that was simply Kelso's personal opinion and it didn't reflect the team's position.

"We feel very strongly that our staff are entitled to their own personal opinions on political issues and otherwise, and, in fact, is their democratic right," read the emailed statement from Peter Hanlon, vice-president of communications for the team.

"We would not interfere with that right. Notwithstanding the above, those individuals and opinions are not to be misinterpreted as representing the corporate position of the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC)."
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I honestly can't wait for this whole thing to be behind us, it's right up there with Trump in my twitter feed for things I can no longer read about.

People are far too emotional about this issue.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #38
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Or, what they said.
Every organization is entitled to their own stance on it, Flames are no different.

Most large companies choose to say don't spout off on politics under our banner. I saw the Kelso guy changed his twitter description to remove his reference to his flames job but both he and the VP were identifying as flames employees at the time of their posts.

I think the Flames have POed a few customers by allowing it and personally I think it's a poor choice when you can just steer clear, take a neutral line on politics and keep all your customers happy. Sadly it lines up with how poorly they've handled the PR battle through this whole thing and I'm about as partisan a flames supporter as you'll find who wants them do better and get a new arena.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #39
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me, the issue isn't really with the Flames as it relates to it just being business, but more with Ken King.

Over the past decade I have missed one season ticket holder session and event after event he struts up on stage and blatantly lies to season ticket holders. When Treliving dodges a question there are obvious reasons why, but King has no reason to mislead anyone. Call it dishonesty, call in incompetence, call it whatever you want, but it's not just one or two off the cuff remarks, it's him talking to season ticket holders in the same manner and with the same body language as he showed in that press conference a while back.

Some examples that come immediately to mind:
"We'll have arena news in a couple weeks" - countless times between 2007 and 2014
"We won't do what the guys in Edmonton did"
"We won't use any politics in arena negotiations"
"We won't ask for any public money"
"we won't threaten relocation"
"We won't release anything to the media until the arena deal is signed and approved"
"You guys are going to love this (concept)" - whether Forever a Flame, third jerseys, CalgaryNext, I think they have almost always been poor.

Sean Kelso and Gordon Norrie have always been asshats so I'm not surprised in either of their conduct on social media. Unfortunately it's started to become apparent they aren't just two polarizing individuals but more they are reflections of the organization's attitude in general. Even Candice Goudie, who does incredible work running the Flames Foundation, has had some poor tweets regarding the arena saga - but not even close to the crap coming from the other two.

Given the team is on the cusp of greatness, of course I am going to retain my tickets...but if they were still rebuilding or even worse retooling, I'm not so sure I would.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #40
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly can't wait for this whole thing to be behind us, it's right up there with Trump in my twitter feed for things I can no longer read about.

People are far too emotional about this issue.
Maybe because we, the people, feel they are trying to take money, we contributed, for private, for profit, enterprise?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post: