Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #41
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

What this whole team needs now is some patience. The offseason was less than ideal: new coach and the disruption from the Gaudreau holdout.
Bennett is at Centre until he is no longer one of the two best long term centres in the system. Backlund is perfect at #3, and as for Bennett and Tkachuk chemistry, you are talking about a rookie and another player who is very young also, with a veteran new to the team. Yet they still are this team's best line 3 games in. Patience.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #42
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Bennett as a center, I think he's still learning and he's nowhere near his potential yet so moving him to the wing would delay him reaching that potential even longer. The only reason you move a natural center to the wing is if you have an abundance of high end centers and the Flames don't. If Janko progresses to a top 2 line center on the team then you can address these issues but the Flames don't have that issue at all. Give the team time and let them find their way.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #43
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The ONLY way I'd ever consider moving Bennett back to wing is if and when Jankowski forces his way into the top-9.

Bennett's game works just fine at Centre, but he has the tools to be an excellent Winger as well, whereas Jankowski has a skillset that you would never want to move away from Centre.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see janko as a top 2 line guy but more as a replacement for Backlund, who knows though.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #45
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't see janko as a top 2 line guy but more as a replacement for Backlund, who knows though.
Well currently Backlund gets more minutes than Bennett, so wouldn't that put him in the Top-6?

I know most people consider the Backlund line to be our 3rd line, but it's our top shutdown line so they get lots of minutes.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #46
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is a C. Why play him at wing? It was dumb then, and it would be dumb now.

Mark Giordano as a d-man or a goalie?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #47
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only way I see Bennett moving to the wing is if we draft Nolan Patrick.

Last edited by Niemo; 10-18-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Forgot the sarcasm
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #48
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It says so far (3 game sample size) Monahan's five man unit has been overall outplayed by whomever they've been matched to at 5-on-5. Which, based on something like this:

Sounds like a fair assessment.
Let's just completely ignore how exhausted they must have been out there.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #49
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It says so far (3 game sample size) Monahan's five man unit has been overall outplayed by whomever they've been matched to at 5-on-5. Which, based on something like this:

Sounds like a fair assessment.
The first line has pretty much been one of the biggest problems so far this season.

Generating very little offense, have been poor defensively, and to make it worse other teams are matching their top lines against them on the road knowing they aren't great in their own zone.

Pretty sure they have been on the ice for 1 goal for and 5 goals against at even strength through the 3 games.

Gaudreau and Monahan need to shake off the rust because this team is in trouble when they are getting out played every game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #50
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Let's just completely ignore how exhausted they must have been out there.
It's your own fault if you're tired because you were hemmed in your zone for a 1:40 prior to the goal being scored.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #51
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now I don't want to sound like I am being negative after a win but just wanted to point out the third goal by Foligno.

Bennett was on the ice with Ferland and Brouwer. Ferland forechecks and the puck goes to the left wing where Bennett also fore checks in deep and misses his stick check. leading to Brouwer once again having to cover for a pinching Bennett. One pass and Foligno has blazing speed coming up against one of our slower d-men with absolutely zero support in the neutral zone.

Sure you could say Engelland shouldn't have been beat 1 on 1 but you can also say that Bennett, the center on that line can not be pinching in that deep and miss his stick check leaving the neutral zone so open.

Corsi and all that doesn't record stuff like that.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #52
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that could be put down to a young, confident offensive minded player trying to force some scoring.

He has a tendency to force things and his game could really use some developing in that sense. He tries to do things alone and sometimes will try to retain possession along the boards against 2 d-men all by himself. Skate and stick handle his way into a 1 on 4. Those things worked for him in junior and I'm sure he can make it work once in a while at this level but he needs to stop trying to do that so often.

I think he will make a great center but he needs to mature and learn how to use his strengths without taking too many risks. He is just very passionate and sometimes can be overzealous. Even with his penalties. I see it as someone just trying really hard. Almost too hard (which isnt the worst thing in the world). He needs to relax a bit and play a calmer more calculated game.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Sure you could say Engelland shouldn't have been beat 1 on 1
Well, he shouldn't have. Bennett playing higher up in the O-zone does not change that sequence one iota.

You seem to be confusing Gulutzan's 2-1-2 with poor play based on your analysis though. Watch the Blackhawks next time they're on TV, Jonathan Toews plays the exact same way on the forecheck and cycle.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-18-2016 at 11:24 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Sam Bennett as a center or winger?

Quote:
Well, he shouldn't have.

Sure, you could say that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #55
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he shouldn't have. Bennett playing higher up in the O-zone does not change that sequence one iota.
Uh, yes it does. Respond to my entire post instead of taking out a little part of it.

Does your fancy corsi stats catch that Bennett was in too deep and left the neutral zone completely open. It is one thing if Ferland hadn't already fore checked then maybe he could fore check deep but when the Sabres have the puck under full control you are just asking for trouble.

My OP pointed this out and once again Bennett did it tonight and it led to a goal against.

Centers should not be playing in that deep when there is almost zero chance of retrieving the puck. the Sabres had full control and he went in deep with a weak stick check. One pass later Foligno has speed in the neutral zone with zero support for the defence.

Like I said he's still young and is learning but let's not pretend he's doing a great job playing center. He is making mistakes, and hopefully he learns.

I am sure I am not the only one who noticed that and he will likely get a few pointers from the coaches when they watch the video. I was at the game and noticed it right away. Came home and re-watched the play on my PVR and confirmed my eye test once again. If you want to analyse that goal and pick it apart then feel free to I would love to discuss that further.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #56
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You seem to be confusing Gulutzan's 2-1-2 with poor play based on your analysis though. Watch the Blackhawks next time they're on TV, Jonathan Toews plays the exact same way on the forecheck and cycle.
2-1-2? They're mostly playing a 1-2-2 and were playing 1-4 most of the third.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
2-1-2? They're mostly playing a 1-2-2 and were playing 1-4 most of the third.
That is the other lines, because they lack speed.

Anyways believe what you want to believe. "Engelland getting walked by a fourth liner is all Sam Bennett's fault."

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-19-2016 at 01:02 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:47 AM   #58
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett attempts to continue the forecheck with 3 opposing Sabres below the dot, 2 forwards starting to make their way back. Worst case scenario is there's an outlet pass to the Sabre by the boards with speed and becomes a 2 on 2, which isn't likely.

A couple great passes later and Foligno finds him in a 1v2. Kulak is a little far up thinking of challenging the Sabre who passed to Foligno, and is caught behind. Engelland doesn't compensate for the space between him and his defense partner, Foligno attempts to slip by and walks around an outplayed Engelland.

Things that could have happened differently to have prevented the goal:

* Engelland doesn't get walked around
* Kulak and Engelland are in position
* Brouwer doesn't miss his stick check
* Bennett clogs the neutral zone with his defensmen

I don't know how you can say that the goal is evidence of Bennett's growing pains full time at centre. The play in itself? I don't think it was a bad play in itself to potentially generate more offense.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was basically Engelland a little flat footed and Kulak not in great position either. Plus a great matchup for Sabres with Foligno v. Engelland in a one on one.

To the extent Bennett was a little aggressive and somewhat caught up ice, it happens to everyone, including guys like Backlund, and what, is there no room for any mistakes before we pull guys off of centre? Eventually Bennett is going to have to play and learn, unless you are advocating moving him to wing permanently. And like someone said, unless a better centre is drafted he's the best option.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #60
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know how much time the coach or the video coaches is spending individual with the players but I don't think it is enough, the coach should sit down with the young players and go over some things. Tell Bennett things he is doing wrong, tell Dougie the things he is doing wrong(tell him to be more physical and nasty), spend more time with the with each player. I don't think that is happening. There are some coaches that can get players to play at a elite level, I don't think that Glen Gulutzan is one of those coaches.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote