Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #61
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like the system is too complicated. He has the players overthinking instead of just playing instinctively
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #62
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
its the coaches job to motivate and organize they players. If a collective of 18 is failing its probably the one leader.
They're 4-3 and lost 2-1 last night. The coach can motivate all he wants but if the Flames want to drag their feet and skate around listlessly for 50 minutes that's on the players.

It's not the coaches fault when the Flames can't win a race to the puck or bobble most of their passes in the night.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #63
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I feel like the system is too complicated. He has the players overthinking instead of just playing instinctively
I am typically a supporter of GG but sometimes i find myself wondering about this too.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
When this team is playing the "system", they have been dominant. The problem is when the players deviate from they system or when they get lazy. There is a lot of laziness in the Flames game these days and there is no better evidence of this then in the penalties they take. You hook, slash, hold because it is easier than skating hard and overtaking your opposition. It takes less energy to swing your stick than to push your legs. I can't stand hooking, slashing and holding penalties because it is just pure laziness. Skate hard and push the puck carrier off the puck; that is how you are suppose to defend.
One concern that I have is the system is too rigid and too complex. When they don't play well, when they don't execute, when the other team effectively offsets them, they look terrible.

They seem completely unable to adjust or adapt.

Good teams need to be able to play different styles. If you want to go deep in the playoffs, you need to be able to beat teams at their own game. You need to be able to go into other barns, play their style, and win.

I'm not saying the Flames can't do this, because sometimes they do.

But it does seem like the process falls apart too often.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 10-20-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #65
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would like to see the PK be more aggressive and always keep their feet moving rather than focusing mostly on blocking passing lanes. High pressure tends to make the opposing team make bad passes and will more likely fumble on the puck. Rely on Smith to make the big saves because we have seen that he can handle high risk shots very well.

But when we take 6 or more penalties a night the PK lines are absolutely exhausted and get hemmed in.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #66
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I would like to see the PK be more aggressive and always keep their feet moving rather than focusing mostly on blocking passing lanes. High pressure tends to make the opposing team make bad passes and will more likely fumble on the puck. Rely on Smith to make the big saves because we have seen that he can handle high risk shots very well.

But when we take 6 or more penalties a night the PK lines are absolutely exhausted and get hemmed in.
The Flames penalty kill this season has been almost flawless. Operating at close to 90%. If there’s the one thing that needs to change, it’s certainly Isn’t the PK.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-21-2017 at 12:03 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:51 AM   #67
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Agree if anything special teams is the bright spot in the system. It’s 5 on 5 that they seem to struggle.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:08 AM   #68
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Agree if anything special teams is the bright spot in the system. It’s 5 on 5 that they seem to struggle.
Gulutzan said they had more 5 on 5 chances vs Carolina than Vancouver in his interview. I wonder if that's true, they had 2 shots in the second period.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #69
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

One thing I've noticed is they don't seem to headman the puck very much in neutral zone. You have one guy with the puck in the middle (call him the "centre"), two guys ahead of him on either side (the "wingers"), and the other team's two defensemen between them and the net. The "centre" doesn't pass to a "winger" before they cross the offensive blue line to see if he can beat the defenseman with speed or pass it back to the centre or the other "winger". He skates it in and forces the "wingers" to slow down.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #70
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if Calgary plays a similar system to any other NHL team?
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Does anyone know if Calgary plays a similar system to any other NHL team?
Our system isn't too different from Pittsburgh however their D are much more involved in the cycle, their third D pair can pressure and move the puck, and they have better forward speed and transition skill on every single line down to the fourth (and Sullivan is much better at reading the flow of a game instead of being Willie Desjardins 2.0)

Pitt initially looked pretty terrible under Sullivan too, until they cleaned up the loose ends on their roster and added Schultz, Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, and Kuhnhackl to play one singular identity as a team that transitioned early and quickly. We have a system, but our roster composiion has no identity because our management's roster model appear to be a team like the 2012 Arizona Coyotes instead of contenders like the cup winning Blackhawks and Penguins teams or Tampa Bay. We are a teaam whose most skilled players want to attack wih speed but we drag each of them down with rawrsize and rawrtruculence. Even our skill - guys like Versteeg and Monahan, can't play at the tempo needed to play like Pittsburgh. And two of our players who should be best suited to this system - Ferland and Bennett - have had weak individual starts to the season on top of that. And the rest of the players who are well suited to this system - Kulak, Mangiapane, Jankowski, Dube, Freddie Hamilton (as a winger), Kylington are simply not on the roster.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #72
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wow, are you a mind reader or someone who has been in the dressing room?
Yes. I am a mind reader.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #73
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
No one doubts Bennetts skill, but because he is concentrating so hard on the defensive aspects of being a centre, when he heads to the offensive he is gripping the stick awfully hard.

Some of the thought of putting him on the first line is that is where he can most easily prove himself on his existing skill set. We have always wanted someone to wreak havok for Johnny and Mony, create space and have a little finish. Bennett is already that guy.

Where he is having issues is that he clearly idolizes guys like Bergeron and Backlund, and wants to be a complete player. That's a difficult path.

Is there any analytic evidence that Bennett is becoming better defensively? I’m not sold in analytics but they called Backlund a year or two before he broke out.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #74
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Our system isn't too different from Pittsburgh however their D are much more involved in the cycle, their third D pair can pressure and move the puck, and they have better forward speed and transition skill on every single line down to the fourth (and Sullivan is much better at reading the flow of a game instead of being Willie Desjardins 2.0)

Pitt initially looked pretty terrible under Sullivan too, until they cleaned up the loose ends on their roster and added Schultz, Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, and Kuhnhackl to play one singular identity as a team that transitioned early and quickly. We have a system, but our roster composiion has no identity because our management's roster model appear to be a team like the 2012 Arizona Coyotes instead of contenders like the cup winning Blackhawks and Penguins teams or Tampa Bay. We are a teaam whose most skilled players want to attack wih speed but we drag each of them down with rawrsize and rawrtruculence. Even our skill - guys like Versteeg and Monahan, can't play at the tempo needed to play like Pittsburgh. And two of our players who should be best suited to this system - Ferland and Bennett - have had weak individual starts to the season on top of that. And the rest of the players who are well suited to this system - Kulak, Mangiapane, Jankowski, Dube, Freddie Hamilton (as a winger), Kylington are simply not on the roster.
What are you talking about? Bizarre post and I usually ignore your Gulutzan hate filled posts but wow.

Each line dragged down with "raw size and truculence"?

Let's see.

Line 1? Nope no big useless truculent guys on it

Line 2? Nope.

Line 3? Nope. Unless you consider Brouwer to be truculent which no one believes.

Line 4? Yep, Glass.

Congrats we have one truculent useless big guy on our team.

And our D don't join the cycle? What games are you watching? The D join the cycle too much which is leading to so many odd man rushes against.

Your hate of Gulutzan is clouding your vision.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #75
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
GG said himself today that the problem he’s seeing is guys slipped back into bad habits over the summer. From what I gathered from his scrum, when the team turned it around, everyone “got” it and everyone was clicking, but now guys are making the same mistakes that GG had spent time fixing last season (you could tell it was frustrating). He doesn’t believe the record is comforting, but he does believe they’ll come out of it faster this season than last because it isn’t about learning the basics, it’s about re-committing to the application.

Honestly it’s a little embarrassing seeing people take GG over the goals and revert back to the stupid “he’s looking down!” stuff. We got over it last season when we saw the system working and it was great hockey to watch. Now, it seems like some posters are as lazy as the Flames, we know the that the system works, we’ve seen it, but now we just have to actually trust in it.

Watching fans constantly resort to blaming the coach when there is clear evidence that his plan makes this team successfully is frustrating, but the team will turn it around and threads like this will be full of crows to eat once again.
I blame GG for the entertainment value of his system. Even when we we win, he stifles the creative players creativity. Dumping the puck on Johnny's side is a waste and rarely results in getting any possession.

Why have we not see Smith try a stretch pass to Johnny like we all anticipated... Not part of GG's system. Except for Smith there has not been much to get fans out of their seats.... Win or lose. We need some rookies to bring the fire and hope it carries to the vets. Janko is a no brainer but Mangi would bring grit and electricity.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #76
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have this sinking feeling that when we don't score first that we may not score. When we go down by 2 goals I channel surf just so I can watch good hockey. On the flip side, when we score first I believe we will likely win the game.

What's worse is that Calgary's body language shows this lack of confidence when we are trailing. I firmly believe the correct player usage addresses this power outage.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Yes. I am a mind reader.
Good. Guess what I'm thinking right now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of this team ever taking the next step from promising to contender is the head coach taking the next step. Gulutzan is still finding his was like the Flames still seems to be be an unfinished product. I'm pretty disappointed after an entire offseason the team is just as undisciplined as last season as really the are the Jets west. An undisciplined team that plays below it's talent level. I also feel he's so rigid in his methods and beliefs that he's stifling not only the team but himself from becoming a better head coach. Things are never as simple as having to do things one way all the time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #79
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Paging This Post Is Terrible.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #80
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The Flames penalty kill this season has been almost flawless. Operating at close to 90%. If there’s the one thing that needs to change, it’s certainly Isn’t the PK.
Penalty kill needs to be more aggressive and not passive like the coach.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote