Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #221
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

the denial is sad to watch... embrace the hate and let it flow through you!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:25 PM   #222
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Wat?

I don't think there's much denial that the team is a hot mess to start the year. Not much to hate or cry about though since I can personally do nothing but laugh at it and then go play vidya games to make myself feel better.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #223
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the problem with the Canucks is that Seravelli is an idiot, Taj is a troll and Sekeres is a liar. OK
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

see? no denial
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #225
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
So the problem with the Canucks is that Seravelli is an idiot, Taj is a troll and Sekeres is a liar. OK

You're just too cute.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #226
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So things are the same...ride the coach for a month and dig yourself a hole. Fire coach and ride the new coach bump to 4th or 5th in the Pacific.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #227
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So things are the same...ride the coach for a month and dig yourself a hole. Fire coach and ride the new coach bump to 4th or 5th in the Pacific.

Quite possibly.

The difference this year is you have a coach known as one of the best regular season coaches of all time in NHL history. Is anyone you bring in going to be able to do better? It has to be on the players, punting Bruce doesn't solve the problems

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #228
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the question is if the owner sees it the same way.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #229
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I guess the question is if the owner sees it the same way.

Hopefully the owner is so busy dealing with his kids calling him out on being a sack of #### that he lets the hockey ops deal with hockey ops... for once.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #230
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Hopefully the owner is so busy dealing with his kids calling him out on being a sack of #### that he lets the hockey ops deal with hockey ops... for once.
Or not. I’m happy to hear about Johnny makarov’s garage getting paid for.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #231
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

demko's been slipping . the last thing standing between the Canucks and the abyss
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #232
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks should have traded Demko while his value is high instead of re-signing him. They could've got back a boatload and they can tank without difficulty for their BC boy.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:51 AM   #233
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Cali's analysis is spot-on - ie Petterson being a not-amazing 1st line, and Hughes and Demko being exceptional.

Boeser is overrated. Horvat is a good middle-6 AAV player, but if he's going to command $7M plus on his next contract, then it won't be a good value deal if they want to add other elite talent to the team; at least not if Horvat is paid that much for a middle-6 role.

I don't think Boudreau is getting fired. They just hired him last December and were very pleased with his results last season where they were on pace to make the playoffs before fading.

If the Canucks continue their losing ways in the next month or so, they'll just write off the season and hang on to Boudreau and not renew his contract when it ends after this season.

If the Canucks start winning, it instill optimism that things are turning around, so why fire Boudreau?

The only way I could see Boudreau being fired is if the locker room turns against him and becomes toxic. We saw shades of this last season in Green's last days. This is a team with a locker room culture of being run by the players and turning on the coach (or tuning out the coach) that has cycled through as different players have come and gone. I've seen it over and over again living in Vancouver and listening to the local sports radio on my drive to work for the past 20 years.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #234
USflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Last year the canucks were starting poor and finishing strong. Now they are starting strong and giving up the lead. Excited about 2 winless teams playing each other again tonight. Canucks at Minnesota!! Minnesota wins!!
USflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #235
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Have to believe that Rutherford will start wheeling and dealing soon...he is one of the few guys in a GM chair these days that will try and fix things via trades. Its been his MO where ever he has been.

Beyond Pettersen, Hughes and Demko i cant imagine anyone else is safe....including Miller.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #236
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I agree that what the new regime has done isn't really much of anything, but I think the situation they inherited just didn't have much movement that could be done. Team is cap strapped with very few assets to move to try and improve the situation. The reality is, the team needs to move on from one of their top-9 fan favourite forwards to fix this. Hell, it may even need to be two. Miller was the obvious option, but they turned around and brought him back. Now Horvat is the obvious option. One of Garland or Boeser probably should go too. Will they? Ehh, hard to trade that kind of player. Very hard to trade them and get the value you feel they are worth back when everyone knows you're desperate.

But the only way it gets better is if you excise the tumour. The tumour, in this case, being the roster construction they inherited but are for some reason being reluctant to change.
If I was a Vancouver fan I'd be so choked about that OEL trade. Garland is a good add, but the cap hits that they moved would have expired in a calendar year and they'd be out of jail now with a guy like Guenther or Sillinger in the fold.

Such a head scratcher to go and miss the playoffs anyway.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #237
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Have to believe that Rutherford will start wheeling and dealing soon...he is one of the few guys in a GM chair these days that will try and fix things via trades. Its been his MO where ever he has been.

Beyond Pettersen, Hughes and Demko i cant imagine anyone else is safe....including Miller.
It's funnier because he isn't even in the GM but it certainly seems like it's him and not Allvin running the show
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #238
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I expected him to make moves over the summer but nothing happened which is weird for Rutherford. I don't know if the offers for Millers were that underwhelming or if he was trying too hard to hit a homerun. He should have made the moves in the summer even if they brought with them some short term pain.

Still I feel that the fans and media for whatever reason are getting way too excited about results over the first two weeks of this season. There is absolutely nothing conclusive from a five game sample of an 82 game season. Does anyone really think the Flyers are going to make the playoffs?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #239
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I expected him to make moves over the summer but nothing happened which is weird for Rutherford. I don't know if the offers for Millers were that underwhelming or if he was trying too hard to hit a homerun. He should have made the moves in the summer even if they brought with them some short term pain.

Still I feel that the fans and media for whatever reason are getting way too excited about results over the first two weeks of this season. There is absolutely nothing conclusive from a five game sample of an 82 game season. Does anyone really think the Flyers are going to make the playoffs?
It's a tiny sample size, no doubt. However, when the same problems that you had last year immediately reappear, it doesn't/shouldn't take as long to conclude that you have a problem.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #240
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, the big concern is a report of locker room issues as that isn't a new thing. To me, that's possibly why big changes are necessary there.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote