Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #261
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't believe this is keto related but I saw this article about Mickelson and coffee and thought I would see if anyone here could comment about his coffee additives. Based on the article this regiment of coffee and 36 hour fasting has had a lot of benefits for him. I'd be interested in trying it out if it makes sense.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phi...ee-fasting/amp
It’s 100% keto related, that’s precisely what he’s doing. Bulletproof coffee and their brain supplement mct is widely used by people on low carb diets. I bet Mickelson is on one himself based on his weight loss. That brand is also marketed as a tool to get into ketosis faster, make you smarter, etc etc. Whether or not it does is debatable.

The only calories he’s taking in are fats over 3 days. His calorie count would be INSANELY low, his calorie burn ultra high, and he’s in ketosis. I’m a big fan of fasting but f that. No way I’m going 36 hours with no food.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #262
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
How do you know when you’re in ketosis? I know you can buy the sticks to pee on, but aside from that, are there some kind of telltale signs or things like that?
Sticks to pee on. And another way to tell (and I can vouch lol) is you start having almost no BM’s a day Tuesday and within 12 hours of introducing carbs Saturday night it suddenly feels like you had a laxitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 08:59 PM   #263
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
It’s 100% keto related, that’s precisely what he’s doing. Bulletproof coffee and their brain supplement mct is widely used by people on low carb diets. I bet Mickelson is on one himself based on his weight loss. That brand is also marketed as a tool to get into ketosis faster, make you smarter, etc etc. Whether or not it does is debatable.

The only calories he’s taking in are fats over 3 days. His calorie count would be INSANELY low, his calorie burn ultra high, and he’s in ketosis. I’m a big fan of fasting but f that. No way I’m going 36 hours with no food.
Good to know. I haven't looked into keto or done any research on it. I guess I should start on page 1 here and dig into it to see if I can deal with that lifestyle. I think I can do the fasting as I fairly regularly do intermittent fasting.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #264
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

https://www.bulletproof.com/

Personally I think Bulletproof is overpriced, highly marketed coffee and MCT supplements that you can buy off the shelf at Save On for half the price, but I know lots of people that swear by it.

By putting butter and MCT in your coffee all you are doing is adding calories so you don't waste away while fasting. I have a hard time believing it is doing anything over and above that.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #265
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
https://www.bulletproof.com/

Personally I think Bulletproof is overpriced, highly marketed coffee and MCT supplements that you can buy off the shelf at Save On for half the price, but I know lots of people that swear by it.

By putting butter and MCT in your coffee all you are doing is adding calories so you don't waste away while fasting. I have a hard time believing it is doing anything over and above that.
But are you really fasting when you have things like that? Like the bulletproof coffee is apparently about 440 calories. I get that makes sense when you're doing that 36 hours that Mickelson is doing (or things long in general), but is that actually suitable for a 16/8 intermittent fast?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #266
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But are you really fasting when you have things like that? Like the bulletproof coffee is apparently about 440 calories. I get that makes sense when you're doing that 36 hours that Mickelson is doing (or things long in general), but is that actually suitable for a 16/8 intermittent fast?
True. I guess it isn't fasting, it's just a really, really low calorie diet based on no carbs. None of these fads are new either. They are all just re-marketed "diets" based around the same principles of fasting, low carb and cardio.

If you want to drop a ton of weight really, really quickly fast for 18 hours a day, do morning cardio fasted, and go super low carb/low calorie when eating.

I don't recall the science behind it but by doing this you have no glucose stores in your body (sugar), so doing cardio fasted and while on keto diets forces your body to use bodyfat to fuel your workouts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #267
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update... 6 weeks in, down 14 lbs, though that wasn't the goal. Feeling great. Have really settled nicely into eating eggs, meat, veg, nuts, cheese, bone broth and dark chocolate. Eating a lot of dessert - my wife has found/improvised some great keto desserts, so really enjoying this. I would say the best so far is the raspberry crumble pie that she adapted for keto (almond flour and Swerve instead of regular flour and sugar) with Devonshire cream. Pecan pie was really good too. Cheesecake next on the list. Don't miss carbs at all, aside from an occasional longing look at Montreal Bagels sesame bagels.
Interesting note. My friend is an amateur baker and makes fantastic bread... she dropped off a sourdough baguette yesterday, so I though "ok, I have to cheat a little - just 25 grams (2 slices) and only 10 g of carbs". Delicious, but got a bit of an upset stomach a little while later and then keto flu-like feeling for a couple of hours. I guess I am completely keto adapted now - no more grain for me. OTOH, Sissons was right - if I make some rice and leave it in the fridge overnight, and then add an egg and make fried rice the next day, no ill effects at all, and not filling either. Mind you, I only had it a few times in small quantities - not like I was putting away a whole bowl. But for those looking to be less stringent, this is a nice hack. Same thing applies to RUSSET potatoes, if you want to have them refried or as potato salad the next day, though I have not been doing that yet.
My wife has basically gone to semi-keto, where she eats reduced carbs (mostly just sour dough bread with breakfast) and she seems happy with that. I noticed if she has too many carbs (like a Montreal bagel) or especially later in the day, she doesn't feel well either.
Apparently, if you know you are going to eat some carbs, taking berberine 30 mins beforehand is helpful. I promised to have some risotto with friends this weekend, so I will see if that works. Also, acetyl L carnatine is apparently another good anti-insulin/fat burning supplement. Do your own research (my source is Andrew Huberman, the Stanford neuroscientist/researcher).
Oh, and drinking wine every day throughout. Moderately - 0.5 to a full glass with dinner every day.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Last edited by VladtheImpaler; 06-01-2021 at 03:02 PM.
VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #268
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still going after 8.5 weeks. Just wanted to say, was in Costco this evening and grabbed some keto bread and keto wraps - that's new in the last couple weeks. They also had keto bagels. Have not tried yet, but just in case anyone is interested...

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 04:11 AM   #269
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

To follow on. I like the Costco keto bread (the brand is Carbona0ut - 8 g carbs, 6 g fiber per slice), and, more importantly, so does my wife. Best keto bread product I have tasted.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #270
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looks like Costco has stopped carrying the Lakanto monkfruit sweetener. Does anybody have a place to buy it that isn't over $20 per bag? Although I'm not really doing low carb as much, I feel that taking that out of my routine could push my weight and blood sugar back up.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #271
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Looks like Costco has stopped carrying the Lakanto monkfruit sweetener. Does anybody have a place to buy it that isn't over $20 per bag? Although I'm not really doing low carb as much, I feel that taking that out of my routine could push my weight and blood sugar back up.

Lakanto unfortunately pulled out of Costco because they couldn't keep up with demand. So, until it becomes much more common, you may be out of luck.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #272
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a whole unopened bag of Lakanto sweetener from Costco if you want it. Bought it when I started Keto earlier this year and never found any uses for it.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #273
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
To follow on. I like the Costco keto bread (the brand is Carbona0ut - 8 g carbs, 6 g fiber per slice), and, more importantly, so does my wife. Best keto bread product I have tasted.

Also, check out Save-on and their Keto wraps. Best bread product i've had to date. I find them better than regular wraps!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #274
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you're keto/low carb and also gluten-free, you can get the Carbonaut gluten-free breads and wraps at naturamarket.ca. Quite tasty and great consistency for gluten-free.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #275
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to bump this thread just in case anyone wants to think about keto and to report on the impact it had for me. So.... I started April 10th I believe. Still going. I have "cheated" a bit here and there with some bread and have been drinking red wine steadily. Overall, down 20 lbs. Lost about 10-12 the first week as I got rid of the inflammation/water weight and have basically steadily inched down since then. Have not been trying to lose weight, as I have been eating a LOT of dessert, or at least what I consider dessert, such as 90% chocolate and nuts (or homemade keto clusters - which is basically the same with coconut oil added and melted/frozen). Main thing is, I like the food, I don't miss pasta or sugar and I see no reason to change. Like I said, I will have a wee bit of sourdough bread once in a while and will even occasionally go for a spectacular restaurant dessert (tip of the cap to the Mohr im Hemd at Helna's in Radium and the Pistacchio Passione at Ferraro's in Vegas).
A more interesting indicator is actual testing. Last December I splurged for the Inside Tracker full blood work up along with Inner Age assessment. To my disappointment, as I thought I was in rather good shape, my biological age, based on my tests was 4+ years over my chronological age. This led to some research and eventual decision to try keto, along with reducing my workout intensity/frequency. I did the full workup again in late August, and now I am more than 5 years younger than my bio age. So, I basically lost 9 years in 8 months thanks to the diet change and physical activity alteration. I highly recommend the Andrew Huberman podcast and Mark Sissons books, and in the end am really grateful to Joe Rogan who basically got me started down the health and wellness rabbit hole. Obviously, no need to take everything you hear or read to heart, but selectively and critically looking at things has really changed my outlook. I sleep better, feel better, and weigh what I did at 15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #276
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Sourdough considered "better" than most breads when it comes to a keto diet?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #277
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not sure if it is better per se in terms of macros, but I believe it is better in general because it has much less gluten due to the fermentation process. And it tastes better, at least as a buguette.

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #278
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah I love me some sour dough.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #279
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

haha, sure you can take two sniffs of it before hitting your carb limit.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keto , lose weight , oilers suck , support thread , willpower