Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #2061
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone on Apple Music, I just found out there's an annual subscription option for $99 which basically gives you 2 months a year for free.

Apparently it was added last year with next to nothing for an announcement.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/19/ap...cription-plan/

Also, iTunes/App Store gift cards are on a good deal through Costco right now. Email delivery so pretty much instantly redeemable.

$200 for 165
$100 for 84
$25 for 21.

https://www.costco.ca/itunes-gift-cards.html?langId=-24
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #2062
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Thought this was interesting.

https://gizmodo.com/apple-reportedly...&ICID=ref_fark

Summary: iOS 12 apparently makes the $15000 GrayKey box that law enforcement uses to hack into iPhones an expensive paperweight
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #2063
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Thought this was interesting.

https://gizmodo.com/apple-reportedly...&ICID=ref_fark

Summary: iOS 12 apparently makes the $15000 GrayKey box that law enforcement uses to hack into iPhones an expensive paperweight
I'm a little torn. I understand that privacy is important but if hacking phones helps solve crimes or stop terrorist plots is it a good thing?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #2064
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm a little torn. I understand that privacy is important but if hacking phones helps solve crimes or stop terrorist plots is it a good thing?
It is until they abuse it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #2065
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's pretty much the question that started the never-ending debate on the subject.

On one hand, we want privacy for ourselves, given more and more of our private information is now kept on servers we have precious little control over, and devices that most people generally don't understand the inner workings of.

On the other, the technology keeping our information private is also enabling bad actors to operate under relative darkness. How do you balance that, or can you even?

Personally -- without getting too far into the weeds on the subject -- I want a high degree of privacy for myself where ever possible, and it would be hypocritical to demand it be stripped from others.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #2066
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Either people have privacy or they don't. Either tools for perfect privacy exist, or they're outlawed (and still exist, just not from big corporations).

There's no way to control who will exploit bugs (or exploit government mandated back doors if they ever are established) or for what purpose they'll exploit them, so you have to take the bad with the good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #2067
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yup, its not possible to have a back door that only the “good” side can use.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #2068
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bad guys figure it out before the goods guys, 100% of the time. So Apple is right. You leave a hole for good guys and it will be exploited by bad guys.

There is no easy answer to this.

You could make private p2p messaging illegal though. If everything were forced to pass over normal voice or messaging Cellular networks, that would be no issue for law enforcement to access with a warrant (except local files, but most of law enforcement's need around phones is messages).
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #2069
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Apple Event is on now. New Air and Mac mini announced.

The Air I had was the best laptop I've owned. Just super solid.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #2070
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Apple Event is on now. New Air and Mac mini announced.

The Air I had was the best laptop I've owned. Just super solid.
What design apps are you running on that? Sketch? My 15" Macbook Pro is getting to heavy for my old bones and I'm getting more tempted by the uber slight/slim models... but I've been concerned about performance.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #2071
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I haven't had an Air for a while because they hadn't really updated it. At the time I was running the full Adobe Suite (PS, AI, InDesign and Premiere).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #2072
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

This updated Air looks pretty decent, you could get it basically the same as a 13" MBP.

FINALLY a new mini, I might get one.

Also new iPad Pro, no home button, thin bezels, and... USB-C!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #2073
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ohhhh that new iPad Pro is a beautiful thing. Being able to USB-C it to an external monitor is pretty awesome. I'd say (for me at least) this iPad is what I dreamed they'd become when they were first announced back in the day.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #2074
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Disappointed no AirPods update. I love my AirPods and if I could get Noise canceling upgrade it would be a for sure buy.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #2075
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So my Apple TV remote got tossed one too many times and the glass shattered. Does anyone know if there's such thing as bulk cuttable screen protector type material? I'd like to cover it up and then put a case on it.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #2076
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So my Apple TV remote got tossed one too many times and the glass shattered. Does anyone know if there's such thing as bulk cuttable screen protector type material? I'd like to cover it up and then put a case on it.
Just get a rubber case thing for it..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #2077
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Just get a rubber case thing for it..
Yeah I'm going to get a rubber case for it, but I want to cover up the cracked glass so my son doesn't hurt himself if he grabs it. I don't think the cases come with any kind of film, do they?

I think what I'll likely end up doing is buy a tablet film protector and cut it down to size.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #2078
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

Which remote is it? The old pre-Gen 4 Apple TVs work fine with the normal tv remote.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #2079
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly had no idea that the remotes were glass. I'm going to start being a bit more careful (even though I don't abuse it, either).

As mentioned, the Apple TV plays really nice with other IR remotes. I have my Shaw remote programmed to control my Apple TV (on the DVD source button, since it is unused anyway). You can even program buttons like play, pause, stop, fast-forward, etc. My wife hates all of the finger sliding of the Apple TV remote and uses the old Shaw clunker nearly exclusively with the Apple TV.

To clarify, the remote itself didn't require any programming, but rather then Apple TV can easily "learn" the signals that come from it. I probably could have worded that a little better.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #2080
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I honestly had no idea that the remotes were glass. I'm going to start being a bit more careful (even though I don't abuse it, either).

As mentioned, the Apple TV plays really nice with other IR remotes. I have my Shaw remote programmed to control my Apple TV (on the DVD source button, since it is unused anyway). You can even program buttons like play, pause, stop, fast-forward, etc. My wife hates all of the finger sliding of the Apple TV remote and uses the old Shaw clunker nearly exclusively with the Apple TV.

To clarify, the remote itself didn't require any programming, but rather then Apple TV can easily "learn" the signals that come from it. I probably could have worded that a little better.
I love that feature. It made setting up my parents tv much nicer. The tiny remote didn't work well for them... they need giant, tactile, colourful buttons.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote