Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #81
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Anyone here much of a projector fan? I just noticed this little ditty, though it looks as though it's been around a few months. I have a rec room downstairs I would like to turn into a Video game/Movie room. It's a little tight for a traditional home theater room, but for some phallic reason I'm sure, I want a huge screen. It can give a 90" screen from.....3'!!! seems ridiculous, and apparently has a great picture. Can that actually be true?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm
Projectors are the best kept secret in the industry today. The prices have plummeted and the quality is outstanding.

The only things you really have to concern yourself with is of course ambient light in the room and replacing the bulbs every year or two.

Other than that, don't hesitate to get one, the quality is going to blow you away and it will shock you how cool it is to have a 90" screen to play video games and watch HD TV
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #82
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I bought the Optoma GT720 and ripped my basement apart. I will post some pics of the final product when done. I tested it quickly before I tore the walls down and almost wept that I would now have to wait until the room is done. Should have done it before my 50" plasma!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #83
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
So I bought the Optoma GT720 and ripped my basement apart. I will post some pics of the final product when done. I tested it quickly before I tore the walls down and almost wept that I would now have to wait until the room is done. Should have done it before my 50" plasma!
suweeeeet!!!!!

I look forward to the pics of the final product.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #84
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am excited! I was so glad as everyone saw at the begining of my thread when I got my Projo and its not even a high end or 1080p and yet I still love it! Best investment in my life was my projector and theater chairs! And the mini fridge I just got for a wedding present! Can't wait to see pics!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #85
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone used the mustang motorized screen? Its a cheapy but has pretty solid reviews I believe monoprice used to sell them and now its on tigerdirect.ca 226 shipped for a 106 inch screen seems like a pretty good deal. I am going to get it regardless since I am on a make shift painted canvas screen so it has to be better then it.

On a side note if anyone is still on the fence about harmony remotes I just put in a dimmer switch so now when I turn my projector on my lights turn off and when I turn it off the lights turn back on. These remotes are epic

Nevermind they no longer use the mustang and use this The AccuScreen 106" Electric Screen.

same price going to have to google to find out if it is just as good.

Last edited by fundmark19; 12-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #86
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My basement is finished and projector installed Unfortunately, PS3 pooped out after about 10 hours, so now Future Shop has my player....

Pics to come when my baby returns...

Question: The GT720 has one HDMI input, so I have a single high end 25' HDMI running in the ceiling down the wall and out. If I put a plate there, that adds another 3' and I'm scared of signal loss. The other problem is I have 2 HDMI sources (PS3 and PVR). Do I use a switch?

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 12-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #87
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a switch I could sell you or you could do monoprice thats where I got them. I have one just a standard 1 output 4 input switch and 1 thats 2 output 4 input switch. You shouldnt have to worry about signal loss till after 50 feet. I have a 50 foot hdmi cable that is working great. That one connection as long as its a good component shouldn't cause any problems especially since you are just transfering video and your audio is going to your reciever I assume
Old 12-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #88
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I have a switch I could sell you or you could do monoprice thats where I got them. I have one just a standard 1 output 4 input switch and 1 thats 2 output 4 input switch. You shouldnt have to worry about signal loss till after 50 feet. I have a 50 foot hdmi cable that is working great. That one connection as long as its a good component shouldn't cause any problems especially since you are just transfering video and your audio is going to your reciever I assume
That is correct. I bought a single output from crapmart and it crapped out in 2-3 hours. Is your's used? Cuz if so, I'd almost prefer that to one I have to gamble on...
Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #89
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup I used it the single 2 years ago when I lived in my condo then moved and didn't need it and then got the double output and then decided to move all my components. they look like they sell for 25 bcuks on monoprice I'd let it go for 20 for the single output. I am not sure If I know where the remote is but you can change it manually and if you have a harmony which I highly recommend it will go on it
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #90
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just installed the new screen! and wow what a difference! It looks 10x better then it did on my painted canvas I should have done this months ago. at 230 shipped you cannot go wrong with this motorized screen! Before when I had lights on it was hard to watch the projector but with the screen lights on or off looks great!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #91
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glad to hear it, fundmark.

Any chance of us getting to see those pictures sometime soon?.......
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #92
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wil try and take some good ones tonight since I will be there for the flames game. Basement is kind of a mess since I am doing the electrical but you guys will get the basic idea. There are some bad pictures of my MAME machine in gobsgrahms arcades for sale thread to hold you over!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #93
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey guys - I think you've convinced me to get a projector.

There's this one at Future Shop on sale until the end of the day (Jan 6/11): http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...fcd8208ad6en02. It is showing it as out of stock online, but it may be possible to get it at one of the stores. My only concern is it's 720p...will that suck compared to 1080 for watching blu-rays?

Also, anybody know of any killer deals out there on projectors?

I kinda want to do this today as I'm not very patient once I decide to push the button on this kind of thing lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #94
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's showing out of stock, I doubt it'll be available in the store.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #95
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It says there could be store availability.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #96
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

720p looks fine on my 100+" screen from blu-ray.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #97
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For 400 dolalrs more you can get 1080 if your budget allows. I have no problems with my 720 I am worried that when my buddy gets 1080 I am going to have to upgrade as well.

Heres some links to check out

Projector
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=1&topnav=&s=1

Screen you can choose any screen from tigerdirect good prices fast FREE shipping no duties and the screens work great
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...170&CatId=2434

And roof mount.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Total probably around 1400 after taxes and what not. You can save money by going with a cheaper screen but with the prices projectors are today I would go for 1080

Since you want it today. You can pick up projector at costco. Use just a white wall then your screen and mount will be here within a week.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #98
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It says there could be store availability.
I'm just going on past experience. It only says there could be store availability because they don't update or use the in-store stock lookup until the 7th. So they always put "may be available in store"

By all means, call around or go to the local store, but personally I've never found anything there if it wasn't available online. Your mileage may vary.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #99
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
For 400 dolalrs more you can get 1080 if your budget allows. I have no problems with my 720 I am worried that when my buddy gets 1080 I am going to have to upgrade as well.

Heres some links to check out

Projector
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=1&topnav=&s=1

Screen you can choose any screen from tigerdirect good prices fast FREE shipping no duties and the screens work great
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...170&CatId=2434

And roof mount.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Total probably around 1400 after taxes and what not. You can save money by going with a cheaper screen but with the prices projectors are today I would go for 1080

Since you want it today. You can pick up projector at costco. Use just a white wall then your screen and mount will be here within a week.
O...M...G. I love that Costco one. I've never heard of the brand, but it's price is awesome and the reviews are pretty positive. I think I'll go for that - a friend of mine has a Costco membership so it shouldn't be a problem to pick it up. Thanks man!

I don't need the motorized screen, as cool as it is. This is going to be in my dedicated media room so there will never be a need to retract the screen.

Hopefully I can make all this happen tonight, but it might have to be a weekend project. I'll let you guys know how it goes and what I end up doing. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #100
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I'm just going on past experience. It only says there could be store availability because they don't update or use the in-store stock lookup until the 7th. So they always put "may be available in store"

By all means, call around or go to the local store, but personally I've never found anything there if it wasn't available online. Your mileage may vary.
Ahh, fair enough. Fundmark actually convinced me to go a different route anyway so may never really know whether it was avaialbe or not.