Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #61
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that no real game play video has been made available has me nervous that it's another year of minimal meaningful change.

Annual proclamations of improved skating, hitting, physics yet again...... Not very hopeful.

I understand the economics of why the game doesn't improve much, year over year. What i don't get is how tge management team stays in tact, after basically doing nothing with the overall gameplay in a decade. The intro of the skillstick was innovative 10 years ago, but the game has not really improved at all, in my view, since then. In fact, it's clunkier, and more frustrating today.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #62
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certainly by today's standards.

They actually did make an improvement one year when they tried "realistic skating" or some such - basically, momentum mattered, and you couldn't stop on a dime and go in the other direction arcade style, so if you skated yourself out of position you were absolutely ####ed. Little kids and ####ty casual players complained that this made them suddenly terrible at the game, and so they patched it out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #63
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
The fact that no real game play video has been made available has me nervous that it's another year of minimal meaningful change.

Annual proclamations of improved skating, hitting, physics yet again...... Not very hopeful.

I understand the economics of why the game doesn't improve much, year over year. What i don't get is how tge management team stays in tact, after basically doing nothing with the overall gameplay in a decade. The intro of the skillstick was innovative 10 years ago, but the game has not really improved at all, in my view, since then. In fact, it's clunkier, and more frustrating today.

I think your memory is hurting your here. Go back and try NHL 07 (first game with the skill stick) and you will be surprised by how terribly it has aged.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #64
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I think your memory is hurting your here. Go back and try NHL 07 (first game with the skill stick) and you will be surprised by how terribly it has aged.
That's what I was saying. The game hasn't improved at all in gameplay since tge inception of the skill stick.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #65
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I look back fondly on the games of years past. The early skill stick era and the EASHL. The good times we had with the fatas. And when there would be half a dozen different threads active related to the game and the leagues that people had going. Taking the day off work for release day and playing all day long. Heck I remember one year driving around the Quad Cities looking for the game at midnight so I could go home and play with Joborule who had his copy early since he was an EA mod and part of teh gamechanger program they had.

Now its a smattering of tepid applause as few seem left that care. As many have noted, its amazing how the development team still has jobs.

One thing though about the idea of switching to an alternating year calendar.... Didn't they take an entire extra year off from next gen and then proceed to release a pretty dismal game? Memory may be fuzzy, but my recollection was even with tons of extra time, they still put out a stinker.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #66
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Didn't they take an entire extra year off from next gen and then proceed to release a pretty dismal game?
No
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #67
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
Inferno is correct, at release NHL 15 did not include a bunch of regular features that had been in other games previously. They did however include OTP, EASHL etc in content updates later on.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #68
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember hearing from people I know who work(ed) at EA that they started assembling the team a little earlier in the summer but they started working on it around their normal schedule and released it the next year. I tried hard landing a job there during that summer but it didn't work out.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #69
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
No
Looks like it is mostly how I remember it. They launched with a rather incomplete game despite having nearly the full development calendar. The PS4 release date was in November of 2013, so they didn't miss a year per-say as they always release in early September. So no fault on NHL 14 not being next gen obviously. But that means they had 10 fulls months after commercial release (not to mention any sort of lead time that EA had access before commercial release) And they managed to forget most of the game.

Quote:
Don't let the allure of authentic arenas and improved NBC-branded commentary fool you - NHL 15 is a colossal disappointment. Missing modes like the six-on-six EASHL, GM Connected, and Live the Life, NHL 15 starts the game down a man. When you add the fact that existing modes like Be a Pro and Be A GM have been fundamentally stripped of essential features, it's downright insulting to hockey fans everywhere.
https://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...15-review.aspx
Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #70
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I think happened is they struggled moving it over to next gen and ran out of time and that's why they haven't moved over to the Frostbite engine yet. I can relate a little as I worked on a brand new 3D kids show called The Deep and we had alot of issues with the ocean and fell behind schedule.

But if they weren't going to take a year off to get it right they should have atleast not charged full price.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #71
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Every jump in generation is a bit of a step back because they often have to work with a new engine. If you look at the last couple games in each generation, they're often impressive in how many modes they have available (people may dislike them, but they're there). The first couple of each generation is always pretty bare.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #72
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I get struggles. Who hasn't missed a deadline. But from my point of view, they are going on a decade without much to show. The next gen debacle was really just an example and something I thought of regarding the every other year model some suggested.

They are a small team, but they also get to leverage a lot from the other larger teams.

It's quite possible that I would have moved on regardless, I just miss being excited about the game.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #73
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
That's what I was saying. The game hasn't improved at all in gameplay since tge inception of the skill stick.
Yes and I am disagreeing with you. Compare today's game to NHL 07 and it has come leaps and bounds
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #74
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and I am disagreeing with you. Compare today's game to NHL 07 and it has come leaps and bounds
That's true, but I remember playing NHL 07 with a 1080p projector on a 100 inch screen, thinking to myself "Wow, you can see the stitching on the jerseys, damn..."

The player faces in NHL 07 looked atrocious, though.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #75
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
I look back fondly on the games of years past. The early skill stick era and the EASHL. The good times we had with the fatas. And when there would be half a dozen different threads active related to the game and the leagues that people had going. Taking the day off work for release day and playing all day long. Heck I remember one year driving around the Quad Cities looking for the game at midnight so I could go home and play with Joborule who had his copy early since he was an EA mod and part of teh gamechanger program they had.
Two words: Send me!

Also, I blame yellow.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #76
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given that it has been a decade, i would say the improvements are fairly meh.... I think the game was definitely better in tge last few years on old gen. The current new gen game is worse in game play compared to those, in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #77
TheGingerbeardMan
Draft Pick

Last edited by TheGingerbeardMan; 04-11-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Pocket posted
TheGingerbeardMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #78
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerbeardMan View Post
I'll join nhybvdhx$90= 97aWu not not H be best igvv
What else avyy,,. Bhjjh be best

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Huh?!?!?!?!?!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #79
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I get struggles. Who hasn't missed a deadline. But from my point of view, they are going on a decade without much to show. The next gen debacle was really just an example and something I thought of regarding the every other year model some suggested.

They are a small team, but they also get to leverage a lot from the other larger teams.

It's quite possible that I would have moved on regardless, I just miss being excited about the game.
I miss playing the game with a dedicated group of guys but imo it's been a bad game for 5 years now and I just can't bring myself to spend money on it or devote time to such an inferior quality game experience.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #80
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh?!?!?!?!?!
It's learning.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: