Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1021
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the amount of servers thrown at xbox live I doubt we see a hiccup in the online service on launch day. Now the xbox itself is a different story
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1022
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple things as I wade into the Microsoft slap down thread:

Whether 720p vs 1080p actually makes a difference depends on viewing distance and screen size. For many a gamer it will not make any tangible difference whatsoever. Especially with upscaling.

COD on the PS4 while 1080p native is struggles with frame rate and has noticeable issues in hectic areas. This is a case where a smooth running 720p is a much better experience than an inconsistent 1080p.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #1023
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I don't think you need to get on a waiting list. These consoles seem to be readily available. I was at Target this morning at the fellow there said they have a fair number of them.
I walked into Walmart at 7:30 and left 5 minutes later with my purchase. No reserve or waiting list. There was only one person there, while there were big lineups at both Future Shop and Best Buy.

I don't think there was as much hype as with the PS3 launch.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #1024
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No green glasses. It's pretty apparent in this thread that picking on Microsoft is fair game but any slight against Sony results in the same old posters rebutting with excuses. Why even argue that PSN is as stable and robust as Xbox Live when everyone knows that's never been the case?

My PS4 is out for delivery this morning so no green glasses here. Just want this thread is balanced and fair and its tough when certain posters go out of the way to always highlight the negatives about one side while remaining quiet about negatives of the other side.
Oh hell no, PSN on the PS3 for a long while has been terrible. TERRIBLE. Slow downloads and painful (sweet ass PS+ benefits though.) That stupid search by letter thing is sooooo bad. I'd say XBL has clearly been more . . . smooth/friendly? Is that the word I am looking for? Not sure.

Anyhow, I see what you are saying and understand what you want/are trying to do Erick - and it's cool that you want the thread to be "balanced". I try spam whatever cool/neat news I see about whichever console (and frankly post too much probably).

But I don't think the thread can perfectly end up or should somehow be moderated to say both consoles are "equal" or "balanced" - it is just a function of the news coming out about the consoles, their messaging and how consumers are reacting. Heck, even the poll in the thread isn't remotely equal or balanced - and it cannot be forced that way.

It would be like discussing the current Oilers team and the Ducks right now in the NHL season. You can say good and bad things about both teams, there are blind fans for both sides, but there is no way that the thread/discussion SHOULD conclude or inform people that the teams are equal by any stretch. (Which is not to say that is an equivalent comparison - just a quick reach by me).

I still get what you are saying though. There is certainly good and bad about both consoles (and even the PC!). I just don't think it is anybody's job to spin things to make up a more balanced overall story if one side falls behind or gets ahead. That is Sony/Microsoft's job to put out better products and get the word out - I'm sure it will come up and get discussed.

Regardless of all that, don't forget to enjoy the fun of the console releases people! We get to do this again in a week!!
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #1025
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
I walked into Walmart at 7:30 and left 5 minutes later with my purchase. No reserve or waiting list. There was only one person there, while there were big lineups at both Future Shop and Best Buy.

I don't think there was as much hype as with the PS3 launch.
Way more supply for this launch then the PS3 launch and more pre-orders. Just handled better overall by all the retailers as well. Clear expectations for stock and what to expect at launch.

Hell FutureShop was setting up appointment times for people to pick up their system.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #1026
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Whether 720p vs 1080p actually makes a difference depends on viewing distance and screen size. For many a gamer it will not make any tangible difference whatsoever. Especially with upscaling.

COD on the PS4 while 1080p native is struggles with frame rate and has noticeable issues in hectic areas. This is a case where a smooth running 720p is a much better experience than an inconsistent 1080p.
For me, I'd have to disagree about 720p and 1080p (in isolation/everything else being equal) not being noticeable. It is day and night to me in my setup. But you might be right about other people not noticing/caring. I have co-workers who honestly cannot tell the difference between SD and HD.

Apparently there are Day 1 patches for a lot of the games to bump up the resolutions to full 1080p - including COD. Which makes some website wonder if that is why some reviews thought the difference was minimal and why some review outlets had absolutely no frame rate issues with 1080p and others apparently did.

Regardless, we'll probably have to see these games bake out in the wild for a little while before we find out if they are ultimately 720p, 900p, 1080p, how stable or unstable, if features had to be sacrificed for the higher resolution, etc.

Welcome to the world of after release patches and incomplete games . . . it used to only be a PC issue.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #1027
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone embargos coming up next week:

http://kotaku.com/heads-up-our-xbox-...ght-1465171347

About the console itself - Tuesday
Dead Rising & Crimson Dragon - Monday
Ryse - Thursday
Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #1028
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giantbomb PS4 livestream for launch day. They've got 3 systems on the go.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1029
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In the spirit of THUNDERDOME...

Now that console peasants are entering into HD gaming (well, almost), are there any launch titles that don't have superior PC counterparts? I was debating picking up a PS4, but there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to do so this year.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1030
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 to PS Vita Remote Play over LTE. Not bad, not bad at all. Probably not going to do twitchy/fps though.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #1031
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just received my system.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #1032
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Got mine a bit ago too, but don't care about any of the games so far, too bad it wasn't more scarce I'd put it on Kijiji.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1033
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #1034
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
For me, I'd have to disagree about 720p and 1080p (in isolation/everything else being equal) not being noticeable. It is day and night to me in my setup. But you might be right about other people not noticing/caring. I have co-workers who honestly cannot tell the difference between SD and HD.
As I said it's dependent on tv size and viewing distance. Depends on an individual setup. My one setup it doesn't matter one bit. On my other one it does (but when upscaled to 1080p there is really no difference for me).

Quote:
Welcome to the world of after release patches and incomplete games . . . it used to only be a PC issue.
Yep. And really when it comes down to it the Xbox one is going to be more than capable of running in 1080p. These really are just growing pains with designing a game with a new console. Just as the reported framerate issue for the PS4 is a similar hiccup.

Again...I will likely have both consoles at some point. My guess given the family dynamics we have is that the first likely will the Xbox one (my young kids really love the Wii and Kinnect type games). But neither one will be arriving in our house this year or early next.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #1035
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just for clarity - the difference between 720 and 1080 is the difference between HD broadcast television(720) and Blue-ray(1080) correct?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #1036
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played a game of NBA 2K14 and have to say it looks impressive. Great graphics for a launch game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #1037
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Just for clarity - the difference between 720 and 1080 is the difference between HD broadcast television(720) and Blue-ray(1080) correct?
So broadcasting is 720p and some are 1080i.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #1038
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Played a game of NBA 2K14 and have to say it looks impressive. Great graphics for a launch game.
How much better than that in PS3 graphic wise?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1039
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Any ideas on what they're worth on Kijiji? I can't really keep it, might as well sell it rather than return it.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1040
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Broadcast Television - 1080i (interlaced)
Broadcast sports - 720p
Bluray - 1080p
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote