Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #221
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Ah yes Sony protector of peoples data....oh oops they don't do that very well do they?
The same Sony that installed rootkits on people's computers
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #222
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

I don't understand why they still can't implement this stuff. In fact, if they did but still gave people the choice to opt out of it, I think the sales could still end up skewing in their favour. I think people were more upset on principle than practicality. Microsoft could've said 'Yeah you can still buy the physical game and play it offline if you want, but if you buy a digital copy, you can share it with your "families."' There are a lot of the things to like about the Xbone over the PS4, but they #### the bed by making it sound draconian and then acting like a bunch of pompous ######bags when they got questioned about it.

As for the used game markets, I admitted to wanting to Gamestop get killed in this area. I think they're a bunch of scammers, but Microsoft missed a huge opportunity here as well. Here's an idea, turn Live into a giant interactive marketplace where users can sell the licenses of games they've played to other users, and then chip off a percentage to the developers. I have no idea if the technology exists to do this, but it seems like it would be worth exploring.

EDIT: And I get that Microsoft was offering this, but they made such a mess of outlining it that it barely got noticed.

Last edited by rubecube; 06-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #223
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nintendo at E3: Abridged Version NSFW

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #224
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports continue in the mainstream media:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3

The company has been taking a public berating since it announced restrictions to used games and their requirement for an Internet connection. Consumers have been reacting with anger over the policies, but the tipping point may have been when Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's "Late Night," pointed out that only the PlayStation 4 could freely play used games, which created more confusion.

The flogging became worse when Sony took to the stage at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) trade show and pointedly did not include such restrictions for the new PlayStation 4. A YouTube video produced by Sony made fun of the used-game restriction by showing how people could share games on the PlayStation 4 -- by just handing them to another person.

Whitten said there are no changes surrounding the addition of Kinect with the Xbox One. He said the company believes the motion sensor/controller is critical to building out the next generation experiences gamers are craving.

The Xbox One will cost about $100 more than Sony's PlayStation 4 ($499 versus $399), but officials at the Redmond, Washington-based company believe their console will be worth the value.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #225
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I wouldn't use the Kinect much I don't have a problem with Microsoft making it mandatory. It's nice for developers to know that everyone will have a Kinect available when designing their games/applications.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #226
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The problem i have with the Kinect is why are they making in mandatory for it to be plugged in? What possible reasoning could they have for that? I know they say it can be "switched off" but this all just seem weird to me.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #227
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Even though I wouldn't use the Kinect much I don't have a problem with Microsoft making it mandatory. It's nice for developers to know that everyone will have a Kinect available when designing their games/applications.
Exactly. It's the same beef Gabe Newell of Valve had when Microsoft released the Xbox 360 without making a hard drive standard equipment. How do you build the best possible experience knowing not all the consoles will have the same equipment available for use?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #228
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Exactly. It's the same beef Gabe Newell of Valve had when Microsoft released the Xbox 360 without making a hard drive standard equipment. How do you build the best possible experience knowing not all the consoles will have the same equipment available for use?
Then why wouldn't you be a member of the PC master race and avoid consoles all together?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #229
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is a fair bit of difference between including a hard drive and including a Kinect. One allows the developers to store and retrieve more information faster (which almost every application can use), the other is essentially a specialized input device (which comparatively has fewer uses). Due to the nature of the Kinect as a movement based input device, the need to have it standardized is fairly low.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #230
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chemgear: I have a computer job and I day-trade, I spend enough time on my PC. At least a console I can lie down on the couch and use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
There is a fair bit of difference between including a hard drive and including a Kinect. One allows the developers to store and retrieve more information faster (which almost every application can use), the other is essentially a specialized input device (which comparatively has fewer uses). Due to the nature of the Kinect as a movement based input device, the need to have it standardized is fairly low.
Under the context of the OLD Kinect, I'd agree with you.

Kinect 2.0, no. Developers will be expecting that a Kinect unit will be available for use, and there's a big push to have Kinect involved with gameplay in some way, shape, or form; whether or not the player needs to interact directly with Kinect is a different story and is up to the developers.

I was pretty thrilled as soon as I heard that the new Kinect was able to do things like detect heart-rate. This is me speculating on the potential uses of the technology, but just imagine a zombie game where the game knows how the player is reacting to changes in environment and mood.

Using the Kinect 2.0 to determine physiological effects on the player, they could increase the game's intensity by adjusting the lighting, music, aggression of attackers, background noises, etc. The potential to make games that adapt to the player on this kind of level, making them more immersive, is huge.

"We want this part of the game to scare the hell out of someone... oh, they're not responding... let's just unexpectedly kill the lighting over here and add some blood-curdling noise to make their hair stand on end, oh and make the zombies movements more aggressive, I want the player to pee themselves in fear"... and it can be done dynamically. That's what excites me about this. The potential is there to make the game respond to you, no two playthroughs would be identical.

As someone who always wanted to be a game developer, I would kill for that kind of ability.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #231
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That sounds like it is the wrong way around. The game should be designed to do those things at the correct moments without the need for extra sensors. And I can just IMAGINE the issues with ramping up or changing things dynamically using sensor readings...I can see things like that being a royal pain to code. Wonder what the game reaction to throwing a controller at the floor would be...

Honestly, I see more uses using the Kinect with the stuff I'm coding now than games...but the specs on the XBox are kinda weak for this stuff.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #232
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have the Kinect sensors for Windows, even though they're only Kinect 1.0.

What do you code now?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #233
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further to the whole relationship Microsoft is (probably not?) building with developers apparently - these two are just from today and the latest in a long series unfortunately. Kinect usage and integration might have to come from EA and Activision.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/20/sk...stitutionally/

"They came across as though they were institutionally incompetent," Pfeifer said. "I think they're not really set up to be a decent publisher. I do feel slightly bad saying that, because there were people there who worked hard on our behalf, but at the same time there are systemic problems with the way that division is set up and run."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/20/fe...g-to-not-xbox/

Fez fans won't be able to continue the dimension-twisting adventure on Microsoft's consoles. When Polygon recently inquired about potential release platforms for Fez 2, creator Phil Fish's response was, "Not Xbox."

Fish hasn't yet revealed which platforms he has in mind for Fez 2, but notes that the PlayStation 4 is a tempting prospect, due to its indie-friendly approach to publishing. "PS4 seems to be doing everything right," Fish said. "It's too early to tell how everything is going to unfold but their heart definitely seems to be in the right place."

Fish continued: "Whether or not I would develop for it comes down to how the platform holder treats me. With Microsoft they've made it painfully clear they don't want my ilk on their platform. I can't even self-publish there. Whereas on PS4, I can. It's that simple. Microsoft won't let me develop for their console. But Sony will."
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #234
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All right, shamelessly stolen from reddit. And I'm not shrinking it because it going to be the most on-topic part of this thread.

gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #235
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What do you code now?
Interactive simulation software.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #236
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Internal Gamestop memo, taking unlimited PS4 pre-orders chain wide - "the floodgates are open for PS4 reserves". Xbone 180 still locked allocations.

Spoiler!

Last edited by chemgear; 06-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #237
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
MS's reasonable alternative
How is this guy using twitter?
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #238
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasSundblad View Post
How is this guy using twitter?
His computer
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #239
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

or could just be saying stuff to prove a point about how stupid the concept is...
flamesfan6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #240
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know of ethernet over hdmi 1.6 is going to work with these new consoles? I feel like I got real excited for being able to have one cord do both and now I can't use it anywhere.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote