Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #221
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Instead of guessing, download this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en
Not sure if there is an iPhone equivalent.

It will show you channels and signal strength, and you can see overlaps. Then you can try an empty band. Walk around your house and see where the signal is better/worse. Super handy.
Thanks for the advice. But I don't think it applies in my scenario.

I don't use that program you listed as it's an android product. But I'm using one on win 10 which seems to be offering the same thing as that app you linked.

I don't need to walk around my home to test. I can get drops even sitting 5-15 feet away from my modem nothing but air between modem and device. That's why I'm annoyed (but this attribute makes it hella easier to test). It's not a signal strength issue I can resolve with repeaters etc. It's either a interference issue or a modem issue (likely the latter, but I have to prove/pretend to prove to Shaw it's not the former).

My modem isn't inside anything and I'm an arms length away and getting crap performance. It sits about 6 feet high in open space. Wired works fine. It's wifi that's being a bung hole.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #222
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, but the app will show you overlapping bands, say from a neighbour so you can try to find a vacant band to use, instead of guessing. I know there are windows apps that can do a similar thing, I assume yours does? I just suggested the Android one as that is what I have on my phone, and it seamed better than telling you to search for one.

The other thing with routers is they are very directional from the antenna, so you can be right next to it and have terrible signal. Aiming the antenna can fix this, or re-positioning the router if the antenna is internal. That's why I suggested moving around a bit to test.
http://lifehacker.com/the-best-way-t...rpe-1605924745
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #223
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
OK, but the app will show you overlapping bands, say from a neighbour so you can try to find a vacant band to use, instead of guessing. I know there are windows apps that can do a similar thing, I assume yours does? I just suggested the Android one as that is what I have on my phone, and it seamed better than telling you to search for one.

The other thing with routers is they are very directional from the antenna, so you can be right next to it and have terrible signal. Aiming the antenna can fix this, or re-positioning the router if the antenna is internal. That's why I suggested moving around a bit to test.
http://lifehacker.com/the-best-way-t...rpe-1605924745
Yeah the app I'm using shows me that. Probably similar apps.

My cable modem doesn't have antennas. The only way I'd be able to aim signals probably would be making something out of foil and aim that at where I sit.

So I started doing the channel testing after the modem reset. My issues got worse, so I'll be contacting Shaw for that. The overall wifi speed is faster, but the crashing is longer too. Pretty sure the cable modem is the faulty point.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #224
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So setting up internet in new house I am cutting cords. Who has the best option now. I don't want to be charged for downloading since I will probably do that a lot now. I noticed on Teksavvy you have to buy a modem.

Any recommendations? I am currently a shaw customer
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #225
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So setting up internet in new house I am cutting cords. Who has the best option now. I don't want to be charged for downloading since I will probably do that a lot now. I noticed on Teksavvy you have to buy a modem.

Any recommendations? I am currently a shaw customer
I jumped ship from Shaw to TS and I don't regret it. TS's $45 30Mbs plan suits me well and it's defacto unlimited bandwidth. Modem plus install is about $160 but I think you can resell the TS modem on kijiji if you don't like it. Let's say you get $60 for the used TS modem, you initial outlay is a net $100 which I can make it back in 2-3 month with the savings from TS.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #226
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just looking at the websites for TekSavvy and Shaw as I was considering moving based upon the advice in this thread. Unless I am missing something, TekSaavvy comes out to being $120 cheaper per year** but you lose Shaw Go Wifi and you would have to purchase your own wifi router.

Here is my math:

TS

$45 per month (300GB limit) +$110 for modem and shipping + $80 activation = $730 per year.

Shaw:

$45 for three months and $73 month thereafter (300GB limit)+ $60 installation = $852 per year.

** It doesn't appear to be a simple apples to apples comparison as Shaw seems to waive installation fees or lower prices to compete with TS. Purchasing a wifi router is also debatable as many people do that with Shaw as well. TS offers no download limit internet for $5 per month extra, but Shaw doesn't seem to be enforcing their limits currently.

I am honestly interested in looking at alternatives, but it doesn't appear that you save a lot of money by moving. Am I maybe missing something?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #227
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I am honestly interested in looking at alternatives, but it doesn't appear that you save a lot of money by moving. Am I maybe missing something?
Your math is generally correct in that you don't save a lot of money going to TS from Shaw.

What you gain from TS predominantly is their unlimited download. If you don't need unlimited bandwidth and can stay within 300GB a month, then you might as well stay with Shaw.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #228
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else's Shaw internet been acting weird lately? I recently got the New Hitron modem as well as a whole new internet plan and modem, so isolating it will be impossible.

Basically sometimes, things like Youtube videos, some web pages, wont start loading or will load a bit and then stop buffering all together. Even when that happens I'll run a speedtest which always nets me ~34Mbps (internet 30) with fine ping.

I've got the Hitron modem on their equivalent of bridge mode, an Archer C7 router, and the computer in question is hard-wired.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #229
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Your math is generally correct in that you don't save a lot of money going to TS from Shaw.

What you gain from TS predominantly is their unlimited download. If you don't need unlimited bandwidth and can stay within 300GB a month, then you might as well stay with Shaw.
Well, no, I can't. Like I said, Shaw hasn't been enforcing the limits yet, but I appreciate that you can actually pay for an "documented" unlimited service with TS.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #230
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone else's Shaw internet been acting weird lately? I recently got the New Hitron modem as well as a whole new internet plan and modem, so isolating it will be impossible.

Basically sometimes, things like Youtube videos, some web pages, wont start loading or will load a bit and then stop buffering all together. Even when that happens I'll run a speedtest which always nets me ~34Mbps (internet 30) with fine ping.

I've got the Hitron modem on their equivalent of bridge mode, an Archer C7 router, and the computer in question is hard-wired.
Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing but on an older Motorola cable modem. My internet will randomly freeze/disconnect. But after it recovers, speed test will show a 18-22 Mbit speed test. (I'm on internet 20 so these are reasonable). Wired is no problem. It's wifi that's all funky.

Shaw believes it's channel interference, but booked an appointment for me to send a repair guy over to look at the modem.

Shaw told me to reset the modem by poking the reset button on the back then monitoring the radio channels for interference until I find a channel that works ok. They can look at the radio channel info so I'd actually try tweaking those channels before asking someone to show up and take a look. You can probably BS checking all the channels if your radio channel isn't on "auto" as I believe they don't have the history of changes on your modem, just can pull up settings info in real time.

I'll chat with the repair guy on Saturday (appointment) and try to get more info and hints about what might be going on.

How old is your cable modem? Mine is 3.5 ish years old.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #231
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Sounds similar to what I'm experiencing but on an older Motorola cable modem. My internet will randomly freeze/disconnect. But after it recovers, speed test will show a 18-22 Mbit speed test. (I'm on internet 20 so these are reasonable). Wired is no problem. It's wifi that's all funky.

Shaw believes it's channel interference, but booked an appointment for me to send a repair guy over to look at the modem.

Shaw told me to reset the modem by poking the reset button on the back then monitoring the radio channels for interference until I find a channel that works ok. They can look at the radio channel info so I'd actually try tweaking those channels before asking someone to show up and take a look. You can probably BS checking all the channels if your radio channel isn't on "auto" as I believe they don't have the history of changes on your modem, just can pull up settings info in real time.

I'll chat with the repair guy on Saturday (appointment) and try to get more info and hints about what might be going on.

How old is your cable modem? Mine is 3.5 ish years old.
Mine is brand new; its a Hitron modem they just installed a month ago, with Wifi disabled on the modem itself. Everything is hardwired
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #232
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

Are you using windows 10 and are the issues with webpages/youtube due to flash content? I recall some users complaining about something like that. Another thing I recall is that old ethernet cables with crappy connectors can do this. But I don't think this would be your issue.

Hmm... if your issues are hard wired, I don't believe they're the same as mine then. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #233
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was just looking at the websites for TekSavvy and Shaw as I was considering moving based upon the advice in this thread. Unless I am missing something, TekSaavvy comes out to being $120 cheaper per year** but you lose Shaw Go Wifi and you would have to purchase your own wifi router.

Here is my math:

TS

$45 per month (300GB limit) +$110 for modem and shipping + $80 activation = $730 per year.

Shaw:

$45 for three months and $73 month thereafter (300GB limit)+ $60 installation = $852 per year.

** It doesn't appear to be a simple apples to apples comparison as Shaw seems to waive installation fees or lower prices to compete with TS. Purchasing a wifi router is also debatable as many people do that with Shaw as well. TS offers no download limit internet for $5 per month extra, but Shaw doesn't seem to be enforcing their limits currently.

You should be considering the costs beyond the first year's non-recurring expenses. You saved $120 the first year after switching, but after that you are saving $336 per year.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #234
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You should be considering the costs beyond the first year's non-recurring expenses. You saved $120 the first year after switching, but after that you are saving $336 per year.
Yeah, great point. A 5 year comparison isn't even close. Plus, you just know Shaw is going to clamp down on download limits eventually.

Does Shaw let you setup an email forwarder or anything? I have had a @shaw email forever and it would be a bit of a pain to switch.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #235
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Here is my math:

TS

Shaw:

Why would you include a modem purchase and set-up fee in the annual cost of Teksavvy?

Once you take out that $190 a year, the savings are much more pronounced.

In the second year, Teksavvy is $540 and Shaw is $876.

** So uhhh yeah, what Wormius said! **
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #236
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

New internet provider in Calgary, VmediaTV.

vmedia.ca/internet/

Spoiler!

And in case you're wondering, seems as though they're piggybacking off Shaw and Telus for the Cable/DSL options.

Interesting, not sure if it's worth giving up shaw wifi hotspots over though.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #237
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Get the 5GB Koodo SK/MB plan and forget Shaw Wifi
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #238
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so I just finished my service call with Shaw and I learned a few interesting things.

1. The nodes in Calgary area mostly aren't over saturated. The service guy said he doesn't know too much about it as it's more related to maintenance group than service group but he's unaware of over saturated nodes in the city. He said maybe burbs and small town might be nearing, but he's not sure.
2. You can purchase a Hitron for a $50 one time fee ONLY IF you acquire it from the service guy on a service call. Shaw customer support is only able to offer it at $120 under special circumstances. Regular price for the modem is about $250. I am unsure if it's an actual purchase or upgrade buy the service rep said I shouldn't be billed monthly rental fees... I'll have to check later invoices.
2B. You have to prove heavily that you're not screwing yourself in terms of wifi (not central location, placing modem behind walls and doors, using bad channel etc) to get the $50 deal. He says some customers go through 3-4 service calls before the service rep can offer the deal.
3. 2.4 GHz wifi is over saturated. Not only Shaw, but Telus and many other providers are needing to put out 5 GHz modems. Rep fears 5Ghz will be saturated in a few years, but expects a new band to increase the wireless traffic lanes so to speak.
3B testing node saturation is a crapshoot. They really only know if a whole group of shaw customers in an area get poor speeds. Then they'll upgrade the node to relieve the bottleneck
4. Not all devices compatible with 5 GHz. Crappy electric, power and cable lines affect speed. Reasonable assumption for decent (not amazing) speeds is 5Mbit per device using consistent bandwidth (ie streaming). So Shaw 15 is good for 3 such devices, Shaw 30 = 6 etc.

That's all I remember off the top of my head. Heading out now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 02:59 AM   #239
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have switched already but don't want to change my email address
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #240
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Its awesome that a terrible email address is keeping people overpaying with Shaw.

Gmail or die.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote