Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #4341
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the same thread:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#228ed8b56128

Quote:
Non-Partisan Watchdog Accuses Trump Campaign Of ‘Laundering’ $170 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #4342
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just catching up and have not read all of the posts in this thread but as troubling as is the tax and financial fraud, it’s terrifying that Trump is indebted (not just financially but in terms of influence) to his corporate and foreign masters.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #4343
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Certainly helps explains Parscale's current tailspin.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1310605108854611972
https://twitter.com/user/status/1310643342926131200
Old 09-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #4344
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

White guy so the body cameras were on. Nice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #4345
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #4346
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Hey Lanny, remember when Trump was in power and created all the tax loopholes he has used to exploit the taxpayer for the last 30 years?

Oh right.
Great Azure logic here folks. Don't blame the person breaking the law, blame the laws that the person is breaking because they were not strong enough to prevent the person from breaking them in the first place. Don't worry about the millions of people who have followed the laws as written, celebrate the criminal who broke the laws and defend them as they are only now finally getting caught.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #4347
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If Trump broke the law by evading income taxes, he should be punished to the full extent of the law. But did he write the laws? No. So unless he actually broke a law, and is punished by the justice system, your rants of how corrupt he is are a moot point.

Because Trump, like thousands of other elites are able to employ high-priced tax accountants to minimize the amount of income taxes because of laws supported and written into place by the same Democrats you claim will change the system.

The only one celebrating anyone here is you when you ignorantly champion the Democrats as the saviors of a system they helped create.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #4348
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If Trump broke the law by evading income taxes, he should be punished to the full extent of the law. But did he write the laws? No. So unless he actually broke a law, and is punished by the justice system, your rants of how corrupt he is are a moot point.

Because Trump, like thousands of other elites are able to employ high-priced tax accountants to minimize the amount of income taxes because of laws supported and written into place by the same Democrats you claim will change the system.

The only one celebrating anyone here is you when you ignorantly champion the Democrats as the saviors of a system they helped create.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but isn't the "rant" directly related to potential tax evasion? As in, there may be evidence that Trump broke the law? The question regarding the loopholes available to the rich are an entirely different, and important, discussion.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #4349
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I read the post, the first tweet, then saw the pictured tweet. Before reading the text of the quoted tweet I thought: "Holy crap, this has 'Florida Man" written all over it, I wonder where he was arrested?" Then looked to the first tweet's quote and sure enough!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 09-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #4350
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump supporters think not paying taxes makes him a smart business man
Old 09-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #4351
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the bigger deal that he's hundreds of millions of dollars in debt?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #4352
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They think whatever he tells them to think. He really should have brought back Trump steaks, he would have made a killing. Perhaps literally.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #4353
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the US is Germany circa, what, 1923? So that means we'll see Trump and cohorts arrested after he loses the election, but that also means in 2028 the GOP will sweep all elections and subsequently outlaw all opposition.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #4354
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Perhaps I am mistaken, but isn't the "rant" directly related to potential tax evasion? As in, there may be evidence that Trump broke the law? The question regarding the loopholes available to the rich are an entirely different, and important, discussion.
Sure, and like I said if Trump broke the law he should be punished.

But part of the rant is the suggestion that Joe Biden, someone who has been part of the US government for over 30 years, and has supported and helped create the system where people like Trump can manipulate US tax law to avoid paying income tax, is actually going be a savior of that system.

If we're not going to admit that there are many, many people at fault for this system, then we are never going to fix the system.

And instead of admitting that, we parrot out the 'other side' as being better because they are 'my' side and Trump is evil.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #4355
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
But doesn't it?

Ignore that it is Trump.

Almost everyone in the business world tries to minimize their tax impact, and you are considered 'smart' for doing so. We all hire tax accountants to accomplish exactly that, and spend thousands or millions of dollars maximizing our write offs, business expenses, etc, etc. It has long been a big issue considering governments are missing out on billions of dollars in revenue, and the more money a company or individual makes, the more they can spend trying to avoid income taxes.

I disagree with the policies around taxation, but I wouldn't get hung up over the fact that Trump paid no income taxes. Amazon doesn't pay any income taxes either.

The bigger issue here is the the supposed idea that he is losing millions of dollars and has for a long time, and how dumb of a business operator that makes him, not to mention the obvious exposure to blackmail.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #4356
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of course the Democrats are guilty of supporting the system. However, the step changes that have occurred within that system to bring it to it's current state has been largely done by Republicans. Massive unnecessary tax breaks to the wealthy, Citizens United and Trickle-down economics are a few examples of this.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #4357
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I sure don't see many on here complaining about Citizen's United when Bloomberg plows $100 million into Florida for the upcoming elections.

Just another example of 'it is okay when my side does it, but not okay when your side does.'

If you want to really get into the details of the screwed up system, go back to many of the things Bill Clinton signed into law, including the crime reform bill that is directly responsible for many of the things black Americans are suffering from today.

Both sides suck and play off the emotional attachment that people have towards them and against the other side.

But I forgot, if we say that, the moderates won't vote for Biden. My bad.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #4358
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In 1977, President Jimmy Carter had a problem, according to presidential tax historian Joseph Thorndike. Carter’s federal tax burden for 1976 had been zeroed out by a massive investment tax credit he earned for purchasing equipment and buildings related to his peanut farm.

Carter was upset, as he told The Washington Post at the time, because he had a “strong feeling” that wealthy people like him should pay at least some taxes. So he voluntarily paid the Treasury Department $6,000, the equivalent to 15 percent of his adjusted gross income and slightly more than the 14 percent paid by average taxpayers that year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...re-presidents/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #4359
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a ####ing stupid comment. Someone is only responsible if they write the law themselves? Well, no need to worry about anyone shooting someone on the street, as they didn't write the gun laws nor the laws related to murder, so the law does not apply to them! And since Trump didn't write the laws, you can't comment on how corrupt he is by breaking those laws, because he didn't write them and so they don't apply to him. More Azure logic on display folks. This comment brought to by Freeman on the Land and the Sovereign Citizen Movement. Azure, you are now free to travel.

Quote:
You're right. Vote for Trump, because those evil Democrats are the ones who set the tax code up and built all the loopholes in the system! All by them little selves. The Republicans have had nothing to do with it and have not been about gaming the tax system for decades. It's all the evil Demoncrats!
Trump and the Republicans are certain to solve the problem if we just give them more time! Oh wait, they just created a tax law with more loop holes for the rich and then eliminated much of the tax that is being paid by the uber rich in the first place. So I guess they already did solve the problem! If they aren't paying in the first place there's no need to use those loopholes. Amiright?

Quote:
Ah yes, more of Azure's greatest hits. I'm responsible for all ills in the world.
I am his boogeyman! Make sure you check your closet and underneath your bed Azure, I'm coming to get you!

Hey smart guy, what's the other option here? In a two party system, what is the other option to Trump? You have to work within the system you have. Since the options are vote for the guy driving the country into the ####ter, or vote for the other guy who has been digging in the glovebox looking for a map, what is the right one? I'm championing the one that has a chance to try and turn this thing around. That's the reasonable and responsible thing to do. In Azureland, what is the right thing to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #4360
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
I sure don't see many on here complaining about Citizen's United when Bloomberg plows $100 million into Florida for the upcoming elections.

Just another example of 'it is okay when my side does it, but not okay when your side does.'

If you want to really get into the details of the screwed up system, go back to many of the things Bill Clinton signed into law, including the crime reform bill that is directly responsible for many of the things black Americans are suffering from today.

Both sides suck and play off the emotional attachment that people have towards them and against the other side.

But I forgot, if we say that, the moderates won't vote for Biden. My bad.
False equivalency...just because both sides suck doesn't mean they suck equally.

And I think you are making a solid point that tax avoidance is not the same thing as tax evasion.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Closed Thread