Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #221
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Radley does make a point when he brings up the new buying products that were offered in Canada for the first time and how it also coincided with the hot economy, and lower interest rates. It was pretty much the perfect storm to create a real estate spike and it did lead to the crazy growth rate of the last two years. There is a limit as to what people can afford and with the new buying products people didn't waste anytime to run up to that limit. And like anything else...there were people who got to the party a minute late and followed their friend or connections advice to invest and got burned. Isn't the first time people made an uninformed investment and got burned on it either.
This is absolutely right. The floodgates of new products opened at pretty much the same time as the economy was red-hot and interest rates were low, which created a bit of a firestorm which was simply not sustainable.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #222
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I just wish that the market would explode in Calgary and crash in BC. That way I can sell one of my houses here in the city, buy lakefront in the Okanagan, and build my winter home in Nicaragua.

Aaaaaahhhhhh dare to dream

In the meantime I'll probably just keep renting it out, building equity while someone else pays the mortgage.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #223
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I just wish that the market would explode in Calgary and crash in BC. That way I can sell one of my houses here in the city, buy lakefront in the Okanagan, and build my winter home in Nicaragua.

Aaaaaahhhhhh dare to dream

In the meantime I'll probably just keep renting it out, building equity while someone else pays the mortgage.

Have you ever thought of buying in Montana? Or anywhere in the NW USA? Some great (lake front and mountain side) buys out there and you are balancing your currency exposure?

Plus the drive is often shorter or at least comparable to a drive into the Okanagan?

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 02-14-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #224
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
Have you ever thought of buying in Montana? Or anywhere in the NW USA? Some great (lake front and mountain side) buys out there and you are balancing your currency exposure?

Plus the drive is often shorter or at least comparable to a drive into the Okanagan?

Claeren.
Yeah, I looked. Sorta. I also heard that Whitefish was being bought up by rich Californians, which would sort of explain the insane prices there. What Lakes are you referring to? I have no problem looking there, seeing as our family used to own a cabin on St Marys lake until the local native band repo'd it.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #225
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noticed today that in the new condo guide Beattie Homes is now offering Toyota Corolla's with home purchase. You can always tell the 'market is definitely about to explode come spring' when you get a car with purchase!!! lol...

http://www.beattiehomes.com/calgary/...e/2008-toyota/

(Lots of similar incentives dollar-wise in the market too...)

(As for the Montana/USA thing above, i just meant in general. Things are not cheap but compared to Canmore, the Okanagan and/or the Shuswap it is all cheap and you get roughly the same things if you look for them.)

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 02-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #226
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the stats.

Median sale price for December 07 was 406,788.
Median sale price for January 08 was over 410,000
Median sale price for last 30 days(jan 24 to current) is 420,000

Still far off the highs of last year, but pretty much made up for the Winter slump already.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #227
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Noticed today that in the new condo guide Beattie Homes is now offering Toyota Corolla's with home purchase. You can always tell the 'market is definitely about to explode come spring' when you get a car with purchase!!! lol...

(As for the Montana/USA thing above, i just meant in general. Things are not cheap but compared to Canmore, the Okanagan and/or the Shuswap it is all cheap and you get roughly the same things if you look for them.)

Claeren.
That offer expired December 1 2007
Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #228
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That offer expired December 1 2007
indeed a inspection of the fine print does reveal this. Nice catch.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #229
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Looking at the stats.

Median sale price for December 07 was 406,788.
Median sale price for January 08 was over 410,000
Median sale price for last 30 days(jan 24 to current) is 420,000

Still far off the highs of last year, but pretty much made up for the Winter slump already.
My neighbour has dropped his asking price for his hilltop chateau, with a tennis court and 46 acres from $3.2 million to $1.8 million. That's been over the course of a full year. Right now a realtor hell-bent on subdividing (four new 10 acre lots) is trying to lowball him from there. The house isn't anything great at that price, which I assume is why he's not getting much action except on the land. Drop dead view though.

Acreages are always tougher to sell and take some time but I think his story is becoming increasingly common.

Cowperson
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #230
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

don't know if a guy trying to sell a multi million dollar 40+ acre hilltop lot is exactly what i would consider common
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #231
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
don't know if a guy trying to sell a multi million dollar 40+ acre hilltop lot is exactly what i would consider common
It's common enough where I live.

The guys with the money are the last ones to stop spending . . . . if they do, you should watch out below.

Cowperson
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #232
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

3.2 to 1.8 is a hell of a drop, makes one wonder how opotomistically it was priced in the first place. Judging market value for rather unique properties such as a that isn't a easy thing to do.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #233
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

He should subdivide himself, you'd think that they'd sell a bit easier as smaller lots at a smaller price.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #234
MacDougalbry
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Claeren.
Beattie has run that promotion in years past. Not sure about 2005-2006, but I know for sure they ran it in 2004 and years prior to that.

I still wouldn't buy a Beattie home.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #235
MacDougalbry
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
It's common enough where I live.

The guys with the money are the last ones to stop spending . . . . if they do, you should watch out below.

Cowperson
Around where I am, it seems the hottest market right now is low-end detached homes between $350K and $500K. The higher end stuff doesn't seem to be moving.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #236
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

New MLS listings, prices both rise
Average single-family house sells for $471,696
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...7-c1089de5ef9e

Data released by the Calgary Real Estate Board on Monday showed the average sale price of a single-family home in Calgary metro for February was $471,696, up 5.16 per cent from February 2007's $448,557. The average sale price for a condominium for the month was $311,812, an increase of 3.31 per cent compared with last year's $301,812.

The average sale price of a single-family home peaked last July at $505,920 then dropped for several months. But prices in the past few months have started to increase again. The average sale price of a single-family home in December was $444,769. In January, it had increased to $455,297.

For condos, the average sale price in December was $304,719, then increased to $311,232 in January.

"It appears as though things are picking up as we move into the final month of this quarter," said Ed Jensen, CREB's president. "I don't anticipate we'll see the blistering market that we experienced in the early parts of 2006 and 2007, but I do anticipate stability in this now corrected market. Calgary is a very desirable place to live at the moment, with our strong economy, low unemployment rates, strength in the oil and gas industry. People are still moving here and that's great for real estate."
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #237
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hard to believe that he didn't mention sales are down 34.89% from Feb 2007.

Oh and he forgot to mention the 148.41% increase in inventory over last year too...

I've said it all along, it will be an interesting spring
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #238
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sold our condo in early Feb for 97% of list price, but above the average condo price from the herald article.

Bought our new house in late Feb. for 96% of the list price, again above the average home price in the herald article.

Just a single person's experience, but seems stable to me, at least in the above avergae price ranges. Anyone have a different experience?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #239
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Those numbers could be slightly skewed depending on what kinds of houses are selling. For example I live in what many would call a "starter home" type of area. I've noticed houses are staying on MLS for a very long time, with pricing drops, and they still stay there. However if a lot of the $1M and up homes are being sold, the average price will move upwards. It could be a trend that on average the more expensive houses are selling; whereas many of us here on CP are in the "starter home" kind of market, and see our house prices going the other direction.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #240
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wooohoooo...

Reading the condo guide that just came out for MArch-April is hilarious!

The best offer i have seen so far (not even half way in yet) amongst all the 'free' 50 inch plasmas, 37 inch LCDs, 'we pay your mortgage AND condo fees AND property taxes for a year' offers (like this: http://www.birchwoodproperties.ca/current_projects/77/), Battistella has gone outdone them all (so far)!

With a condo purchase you get ALL of:
Smart Car
Mountain Bike
Home Entertainment System (?)
Interior Designer for a day
Maid Service for a year
Natural Gas BBQ
Murphy Bed
Ticketmaster & Hotel Arts Entertainment Package (?)
1 year Talisman Centre Membership

AAAAANNNND to top it off:

Starbucks for year!

LINK: http://battistella.ca/promo/promo2.html

hahahaha...

Of course i would rather have $150k off the price of one of their overpriced, outwardly asthetically pleasing but inwardly questionable, speculation driven condos... and even that would be about $150k more then what it should be! haha

Lucky spring is here though, so they can raise prices for all the desperate poor non-home owners needing to spend near half a million on 600sq-ft... pfff...

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 03-17-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Tags
housing , real estate