Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #7641
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think there’s a big difference in the two circumstances. Likely due to age and health of the parents.

My mother or father would be wonderful guests. They’re healthy, active and have almost no detrimental issues that many elderly face. One or both would be amazing caregivers for the children and would be helpful around the house and a definite net positive to the home.

My grandmother on the other hand is in terrible health, is senile and would be a massive drag, requiring constant attention. She’d be a massive net negative and would divert scarce resources away from the children.
Yeah, there’s no question that age/health/personality are going to be huge factors. The thing about the age and health factors though, is that things can change pretty fast. Literally, one day you have someone who is healthy and fine, and the next day they have a life changing event.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #7642
Geraldsh
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When I was about 10 years old my grandmother’s house was moved to our farmyard. Keeping her supplied with wood & water became my daily chore and I was welcomed with fresh baked bread and cookies. Good times.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:55 PM   #7643
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Howard from the Office, is like a modern Bud Bundy from Married with Children.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:53 AM   #7644
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Small house stuff
See, that reads like nightmare fuel to me. I hate living in claustrophobic places like that. I need some space.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:41 AM   #7645
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Have you had elderly parents live with you? From my rather limited experience, I’d proceed with caution. Maybe it’s cultural, or maybe I’m just not as nice as I think. Currently, my father-in-law is living with me and he’s a wonderful person. But, old people are like toddlers with opinions. They can only do a few things for themselves, and at the same time they have things that they like certain ways. It’s exhausting. I’m happy that this is a limited time engagement.

And it’s not because it’s an in-law. Last year my mom lived with me for 4-5 months and it felt like a decade. I love these people, and I’m happy I can help, but it’s an enormous amount of work.
It really has more to do with financial necessity for all parties involved than anything else. My dads been a toddler with an opinion my whole life, I’m definitely weighing the negatives but they don’t measure up to all the positives for everyone.

Quote:
Guess my point is your plan to have an acreage is outstanding and regardless of all of the things that could be holding you back on that, don't let concern over living in a tiny home be one of them. Small rules.
Yeah our place is a 900 sqft bungalow and we could happily stay here forever. Could also be smaller no problem. I just need to be able to escape to outside and garden really. I’d be a hard no on a shared house of a larger size, but I’m all about 2 tiny homes (legit tiny) on an acre.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #7646
GordonBlue
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

how did I not hear of this until today? It's happening here in Canada, too.

Parents call for the removal of Iron Maiden-loving school principal for displays of “satanic imagery

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paren...magery-3066404

Parents at a Canadian school have launched a petition calling for the removal of its principal, an ardent Iron Maiden fan, who allegedly shared photos of herself paying homage to the group using the school’s social handle. The “concerned parents” say the post’s affiliation to Iron Maiden demonstrates “satanic imagery”.

the best part of the article

An update from the group insisted they were not targeting Burns’ admiration of the band, but the “satanic” visuals affiliated with Iron Maiden. “If she had not posted a picture of her own handmade 666 sign, this petition WOULD NOT EXIST. Nobody cares what band she likes and this is not about her choice in what she listens to. That would be petty and nonsensical.”

https://etcanada.com/news/827101/par...on-maiden-fan/
According to a Change.org petition, parents of the students at Eden High School are calling for Sharon Burns’ removal after discovering she’s an Iron Maiden fan.
Over 500 people have signed the petition in agreement.

Following the first petition, another in support of Burns emerged, titled “We need Mrs. Burns”, and has received over 21,000 signatures.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #7647
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Religious zealots have done many a stupid thing over the years. This just shows they are still around. If they get her fired, I hope she sues them all into oblivion.

It's 2021, and I can't believe we are still having having witch trials.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #7648
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

"That would be petty and nonsensical" ha

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #7649
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That reminds me of the hostel we had in Japan. We had a private room to ourselves with 2 bunks across from each other, curtains, outlets, lights, it was pretty sweet.
I enjoy micro living spaces and the efficiencies they have, but they need to be built for taller people as well. I was in a townhouse in Kyoto, one morning I groggily walked into the kitchen tried to duck the beam above my head and unhesitatingly cranked the top of head into the floor joist I had been trying to avoid. Worst wake up call ever. I had a mark on my head for the rest of the trip. Luckily it was in my hairline so it wasn't very apparent. I'm 6' and I basically bowed while in that house. That place was definitely designed for someone 5'9" or shorter.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #7650
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Here is the bunk pod thing I made. It's 8' tall x 42" wide x 7' long, so good for tall people. I have a twin mattress in each of the pods, which leaves about 12" at the foot of the bed. At the foot, I have these shoe cupboards from Ikea so the kids can put their stuff in there like a dresser. The pics are a bit outdated now (I took them when we first moved in), but now I have fans mounted in the beds, LED strip lights (of course), and they've decorated them inside to look really cool. I even have some old hill-used signs from Lake Louise that look totally awesome in there.

Curtains are black-outs from Ikea that I just punched grommets in on the length and mounted them sideways on a track and trolley system inside the frame. Good storage under the bed. The frame is made from an old pallet rack I painted white, then made the walls and doors out of knotty pine I white washed then varathaned with like 10 coats so it should be indestructible. I mounted overlapping barn doors (made the doors from raw wood, too) on the front so the pods can be enclosed. The kids actually sleep with the wood doors and the black out curtains closed, which looks kind of funny at night as though we put them away in a cupboard.

I have charging stations in there and many electrical outlets for their stuff. They really are private spaces the kids can retreat to or even bring their friends inside to hang out. The "ladder" is made from folding metal foot holds used in the trucking industry to climb onto trailers. They're cool because they're insanely strong (lag bolted onto a 2x6 piece of maple) and they fold away out of sight when not in use.

It's way beyond a bunk bed for space, look and functionality. It can probably hold like 10,000 lbs or something crazy, so is beyond overkill in this application, but that's part of what makes it kind of cool.

I'm not a wood worker...just a normal dude that couldn't find what he wanted off the shelf so had to get creative. Learned some lessons and would do things differently on the next one, but overall happy. The finished product looks better with some trim pieces here and there to really finish it off, but I don't have pictures of it complete.

Last edited by Sliver; 10-14-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #7651
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stayed in a Japanese sleeping pod in San Francisco a few years ago. Would definitely do it again and might even put one in my next house with a fridge and a childproof lock.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #7652
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for advice on charcuterie board:
- best DIY website and/or place to buy bits and pieces
OR
- best place in Nw YYC to buy one

Is it reasonable to think I could do or buy one for less than $50?
RichieRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #7653
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
OR

Best place to buy one is from our own Surferguy:

https://www.comodesigns.ca/charcuteri-boards
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #7654
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Best place to buy one is from our own Surferguy:

https://www.comodesigns.ca/charcuteri-boards
Nice work on that site.
I see I wasn’t specific enough… it’s not the BOARD but what food is going to be put ON the board!
RichieRich is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #7655
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Beef jerky and cheezies dude.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #7656
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice work on that site.
I see I wasn’t specific enough… it’s not the BOARD but what food is going to be put ON the board!
I'd go to your local Italian store and/or European store and just buy some meats and cheeses you think you might like. Can't go wrong with things like mortadella (not overly expensive) and Spanish prosciutto (pretty expensive). Some people like to add veggie spread or something, but I keep it simple. Meat, cheese, bread, and sometimes olives.

Don't listen to this guy, at all costs.

Quote:
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #7657
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
how did I not hear of this until today? It's happening here in Canada, too.

Parents call for the removal of Iron Maiden-loving school principal for displays of “satanic imagery

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paren...magery-3066404

Parents at a Canadian school have launched a petition calling for the removal of its principal, an ardent Iron Maiden fan, who allegedly shared photos of herself paying homage to the group using the school’s social handle. The “concerned parents” say the post’s affiliation to Iron Maiden demonstrates “satanic imagery”.

the best part of the article

An update from the group insisted they were not targeting Burns’ admiration of the band, but the “satanic” visuals affiliated with Iron Maiden. “If she had not posted a picture of her own handmade 666 sign, this petition WOULD NOT EXIST. Nobody cares what band she likes and this is not about her choice in what she listens to. That would be petty and nonsensical.”

https://etcanada.com/news/827101/par...on-maiden-fan/
According to a Change.org petition, parents of the students at Eden High School are calling for Sharon Burns’ removal after discovering she’s an Iron Maiden fan.
Over 500 people have signed the petition in agreement.

Following the first petition, another in support of Burns emerged, titled “We need Mrs. Burns”, and has received over 21,000 signatures.
This probably belongs in the RGMG thread but it drives me nuts whenever I see a group (any group) portraying themselves as 'concerned' about somethings. It doesn't mean concerned in any way, shape, or form. They are always opposed to whatever is being discussed if it goes against their particular views.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #7658
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
OR

For $50 you should be able to get enough food for 2 basic charcuterie board. Adding variety would cost you more, but most times that added cost means you have enough towards a 2nd or 3rd board.

A board could basically be:
- Sliced fruit (plum, granny smith apple etc.)
- Sliced pickles (Polski ogorki, dill)
- Olives (Garlic stuffed, Kalmata etc.)
- Assorted dried fruits (Apricot, apple etc.)
- Crackers
- Fresh basil
- 2-3 cheeses at like $10 per block at Costco.
- 2-3 types of smoked meats or prosciutto which I think you can do for less than $20 at Costco in those combo packages.

Cheeses and meats are around $10 per add. The other items are around $5 per add (crackers, basil, pickles/olives, fruits etc.). My friends and I used to do this and basically split the stuff between two boards for a separate guys/girls night (Guys often doing a whiskey night, the girls a wine and movie night).

Not NW, but to give you an idea...

https://peasantcheese.com/catering/mixed-boards/

A premade $50 board is 3 cheeses and 2 meats for 4-6 people. You get half that for $35.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #7659
81MC
First Line Centre

Exp:

W.A.S.P. >>>>>Motley Crüe.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #7660
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'd wonder what Sliver on Cannabis would look like with a $50 alternate board.

Munchies board:
Cheezies, jerkies, candies (gushers, warheads, sours, gummies etc.), chocolates, popcorn etc. ...and just for him, black licorice cigars.

Orange board:
Cheezies, cheese balls, crunchy, kumquats, mandarins/satsumas, oranges, orange candy/sours, orange fizz, orange crush moat etc.