Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #141
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

damn...I forgot to pvr this tonight. I'm mostly interested in the musical acts....worth it?
hmmhmmcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thank god Wig is gone, she was one of the reason why the show was unfunny again. Her characters are annoying and grating and repetitive.

I would put this season up as similarly bad to the season with Robert Downey Jr and Anthoney Michael Hall where Lorne Michaels killed off the cast at the start of the next year.

I don't get what's funny about Wig, she's not funny on SNL and she was brutally unfunny and unsympathetic in Bridesmaids and in most of her other roles in moves.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #143
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My opinion on Wiig has always been that she seems to have a lot of talent, it's just rarely used for good effect.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #144
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Wiig schtick lost it's lustre long ago. I thought she was hilarious in Knocked Up and some of the SNL sketches were funny the first time.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #145
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wiig is going to be a huge star in the next few years. She's got a ton of talent. If her schtick on SNL wore off, that's on the producers and writers for recycling the same skits, not on her for her talent.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #146
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Wiig is going to be a huge star in the next few years. She's got a ton of talent. If her schtick on SNL wore off, that's on the producers and writers for recycling the same skits, not on her for her talent.
Except that for the most part each actor on SNL writes and produces their own skits.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #147
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping they'd do the 2 A-Holes sketch one last time since Sudekis is also rumoured to be leaving. They haven't done that one since October 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_A-Holes

That was my favourite Wiig character: "He looks like a rabbit."

Samberg also pretty much confirmed that he's leaving too by doing Lazy Sunday 2 for the Digital Short.

"That's how it began." "And that's how I'm gonna finish it."
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #148
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Except that for the most part each actor on SNL writes and produces their own skits.
Yeah, but I think if Lorne Michaels says "I want a Gilly sketch" they go and write one, even if he wants 7.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #149
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
She might make a couple fairly successful second-rate comedies but she will never return to Bridesmaids territory. Wiig was certainly a part of that movie's success but it was by committee (Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Jon Hamm, etc.) that it became as big as it did. Audiences will be looking for that charm in the next Wiig project but will more than likely not find it. IMO of course.
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #150
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wiig has the same problems a lot of SNL people have. She can only really play one character because she doesn't have a lot of range.

Will Arnett, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler had/have the same issue. No matter what character they play, it is pretty much the exact same angle each and every time.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #151
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but I don't think they call the shots on how many skits each of their characters gets per show. And that seems to be a main issue with SNL these days is that everything is recycled to death. That's on Lorne an Co., not on the talent.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #152
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but I don't think they call the shots on how many skits each of their characters gets per show. And that seems to be a main issue with SNL these days is that everything is recycled to death. That's on Lorne an Co., not on the talent.
There was an excellent documentary on a week in the life of SNL about a week ago, where all the actors sit in a office with Lorne Michaels and pitch their ideas for the show, and if he agrees with the ideas then they spend the next 2 or three days writing the skit, then they come back and run through the skit in front of the rest of the cast. Lorne Michaels most of the time was rejecting staple characters because he wanted to push new people and new ideas.

The reason why they went to so many repetitive characters is because the cast couldn't come up with ideas for new acts or characters.

A few years ago when the show had guys like Chris Katarn they kept running the same terrible skits over and over again because the cast sucked at getting out of their comfort zone and moving beyond their main characters. Its like its the same thing with this cast.

Kristen Wig's characters are all pretty much based around low self esteem girl, and she's getting boring, its even spread to Bridesmaid which was hugely over rated.

As much as we take heavy shots at Sandler for re running the same socially awkward character, the guy has shown range that someone like Wig isn't capable of doing. He was amazing in Punch Drunk Love, and I think he did a very good job in the movie about the remote control.

Sandler's problem is very much like some others though they panic and get desperate and go back to what's worked for them in the past to bad results.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #153
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

As much as we take heavy shots at Sandler for re running the same socially awkward character, the guy has shown range that someone like Wig isn't capable of doing. He was amazing in Punch Drunk Love, and I think he did a very good job in the movie about the remote control.

Sandler's problem is very much like some others though they panic and get desperate and go back to what's worked for them in the past to bad results.
Amazing? Wow, I loved the movie and I liked Sandler but to me that was just another one of his meek and mumbly characters with a raging Happy Gilmore making cameos. He was well cast but his performance was typical Sandler but with good writing, for once.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #154
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If anyone is interested in the behind the scenes SNL stuff listen to the Jon Lovitz podcast the ABC's of SNL.

Kevin Smith interviews him episode by episode, year by year and he tells the story from how he first got on the show to the stresses of being on the show to how skits were chosen etc.

It is fascinating stuff and Lovitz is funny. I think there are 4 or 5 episodes. New ones come out sporadically.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #155
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how you draw that conclusion. What skits tonight featured her as her similar to her Bridesmaids character? What skits this season are you referring to? If anything, she's widened the type and amount of characters she's played this season.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/04/07/k...usly-annoying/

Here is an article from Mcleans from a few years ago that I think holds true even more today. I remember ths article because it is almost spot on for my assessment of her.

What I should have said is all her other charcacters were molded into her Bridesmaid character and better executed. I havent watched last nights episode but the worst of her work is on weekend update. The singers that dont prepare, the aunt doing movie reviews, the one were she is a gossip columinist or something like that.

All of that said I will say i do enjoy her work in ensamble skits and i used to enjoy her stuff but i think its run its course
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #156
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/04/07/k...usly-annoying/

Here is an article from Mcleans from a few years ago that I think holds true even more today. I remember ths article because it is almost spot on for my assessment of her.

What I should have said is all her other charcacters were molded into her Bridesmaid character and better executed. I havent watched last nights episode but the worst of her work is on weekend update. The singers that dont prepare, the aunt doing movie reviews, the one were she is a gossip columinist or something like that.
Oh disagree. Her and Armisen nail that skit. And that character is a prime example of being totally different than her Bridesmaid character that everyone is referring to.

For the record, I didn't love Bridesmaids, didn't hate it though. A slightly above average comedy. Loved Jon Hamm's character.

I thought she was well liked, but according to this thread, she's not liked at all.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 05-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #157
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotroth View Post
The Wiig schtick lost it's lustre long ago. I thought she was hilarious in Knocked Up and some of the SNL sketches were funny the first time.
Yeah, I agree with pretty much everyone here. She was funny, (even so much as being the reason to watch SNL for awhile), but she's kind of run her course, and it's time for some other women to take over.

I think VANFLAMESFAN does have a point about a lot of the blame going to Lorne Micheals and co, for overusing her. Because in the last year, I found her to be very predictable and worn out, but also just a little too "there" all the time. If there was a skit with a woman playing a major role, there was like an 85% chance it'd be Wiig, and she'd just do her regular thing, and it kind of wears on you as a viewer after awhile.

It'll actually be kind of exciting to see what they do with woman roles next season, without Kristin Wiig being involved in virtually everything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #158
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
I thought she was well liked, but according to this thread, she's not liked at all.
I adore her, but I'm also female. I notice a lot of my girlfriends love her too, but the guys find her overbearing. On the other hand, I find Fred Armisen to be one-note, while others love him.

I saw Friends with Kids not long ago. Kristen Wiig had a supporting role and I thought she nailed it.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #159
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

After Poehler left the show, I think Wiig was the only female cast member (not "featured performer") for at least one season. That's where she really got overexposed.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #160
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I was a fan of hers from back in 2003 with Joe Schmoe Show. I did watch her a lot her first few seasons on SNL. But I agree there has been a lot of over exposure the last two seasons.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post: