Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #1801
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
They need to improve all of F, D and G
Unless I missed where the team said this is the starting lineup for next year, I'm not sure what you're upset about. I personally expect some trades and/or a cheap third liner signing after the big name UFA wingers go
Let me help you.

1. The poster I quoted said the only 2 X-factors will be goaltending and defense. They failed to acknowledge that forwards getting going in the playoffs is another huge factor.

2. In my post, I said IF the Flames management thinks only defense and goaltending need to be changed (consistent with the post I was quoting), that's pretty dumb. I did not imply that they are done and won't be making any more moves. Simply said, if the management group only thinks defense and goaltending needed improvement, that's not good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #1802
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regardless Flames have a group of 8 forwards that can compete. They need 1 more to add to the mix. I kind of want to see matthew phillips on rw on top 9.

Last edited by Husky; 10-11-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #1803
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Let me help you.

1. The poster I quoted said the only 2 X-factors will be goaltending and defense. They failed to acknowledge that forwards getting going in the playoffs is another huge factor.

2. In my post, I said IF the Flames management thinks only defense and goaltending need to be changed (consistent with the post I was quoting), that's pretty dumb. I did not imply that they are done and won't be making any more moves. Simply said, if the management group only thinks defense and goaltending needed improvement, that's not good enough.
Ah, missed most of that, maybe you're talking to people on my ignore list
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #1804
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Flames management needs to improve the team in any way they can.

On paper they've improved the goaltending by leaps and bounds. Hopefully that translates to real results.

On D, they added a strong modern day defensive defenseman type. It remains to be seen if it is an improvement, but they needed to bring in a top 4 right shot Dman and they did it.

As for the forward core, I believe it needs a shake up too. But I don't want change just for the sake of change. There is still lots of time to get those changes made, but it's hard to criticize when you don't know exactly what is being offered from teams around the league. It's easy for us to sit here and armchair GM like we do and trade Gaudreau & Kylington for Konecny and Frost, but what if in reality that deal just isn't being even remotely considered by the Philly GM. Or what if Hall/Toffolli/whoever has shown no interest in signing with the Flames.

I want change to the forward core, but not if it makes the team worse. If that's the case then Treliving has no choice but to stand pat until something better is being offered.
I keep hearing people say they don't want change for the sake of change because it's bad. It wouldn't just be change for the sake of change, it would be change because the team isn't good enough. Isn't staying average the worst possible outcome? You get mediocre draft picks, your not good enough to go deep in the playoffs and not bad enough to warrant a full rebuild.

So its not change for the sake of change, it's change because this team has been spinning it's wheels for 30 years and not changing ensures they stay that way.

Being a fan of this team is like being stuck in purgatory; can be a lot worse but can be a lot better too.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #1805
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel Philly is sitting on acquiring Johnny. They’ve done nothing. Except add poulliot for 700k. Strange they’ve done nothing else. You’d think they’d make changes and not be content. Sitting on 8.6 mil in cap space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #1806
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
I feel Philly is sitting on acquiring Johnny. They’ve done nothing. Except add poulliot for 700k. Strange they’ve done nothing else. You’d think they’d make changes and not be content. Sitting on 8.6 mil in cap space.
Probably waiting to see what happens with Hall first would be my guess. Why give up assets for an elite LW while one is available on the free agent market
Old 10-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #1807
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is the league office open today (Sunday) to record trades and free agent signings?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #1808
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Is the league office open today (Sunday) to record trades and free agent signings?
I believe so unless Chick Fil A bought them out.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #1809
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund for 5th Round Pick
Backlund is our Alternate Captain and one of the best shut-down centres in the league man.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #1810
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Backlund is our Alternate Captain and one of the best shut-down centres in the league man.
Backlund for a 5th round pick may be one of the funniest trade proposals I have ever seen on this forum.

Last edited by dieHARDflameZ; 10-11-2020 at 08:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #1811
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund is overpaid and getting older. The Flames need to try and get out of thst contract while they can.

Tyler Johnson just went unclaimed.. what makes you think Backlund has much more value? I want to see Lindholm playing center which means Backlund is going to get paid too much money as a third line center.

We are in danger of keeping some guys too long. Some teams make trades all the time but we seem to be hanging on to core pieces. Surprised we didn't have more options for Hall considering we have known for sometime that this might be a desired destination.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #1812
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really don't see a fit for Toffoli outside of the 3rd line. He needs to be on a line where the other two players can carry the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. He is basically the RW version of Monahan.

The first line already has Monahan, and if you go with two guys who can't carry the puck, then teams will be able to key on Gaudreau even more.

The second line has Tkachuk isn't able to create speed through the neutral zone, so there isn't a fit on that line.

Now a line of Dube-Bennett-Toffoli has merits, but he isn't going to sign to 3rd line level money.

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/tyler-toffoli-future-hab

Here is a good article breaking down how Toffoli plays.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #1813
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

5th? At this point thats over-valuing Backlund. With that contract he'd clear waiver just like others like him are doing.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #1814
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A falacy that has little support to the claim. If Backlund was an elite shutdown man we wouldn't have our heads caved in by the opposition's top line game-after-game. Backlund is a middling second to third line center and is overpaid for what he provides. If we can move him and get out from underneath his cap hit, we would be wise to do so.

The argument will be made that Backlund is slightly overpaid, and that is true. On its own, Backlund is slightly overpaid. But in the context of the team, there are too many salaries that add up to being overpaid and for this team to attract the top end talent it needs we need to dump those salaries. Milan Lucic's salary is a massive anchor, dragging this team down when it needs more air to breathe. Unfortunately that contract is immovable. Which means you have to start looking elsewhere. Backlund and Ryan are the next in the crosshairs because they are both overpaid for the roles they are cast into or the value they provide. So they are the ones that have to go. If there was a way to rid ourselves of Lucic, then things would be different and Backlund would be a salary you could live with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #1815
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Backlund for a 5th round pick may be one of the funniest trade proposals I have ever seen on this forum.
We must be tanking.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #1816
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
5th? At this point thats over-valuing Backlund. With that contract he'd clear waiver just like others like him are doing.
Now Backlund isn't even worth a 5th. Lol
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #1817
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now Backlund isn't even worth a 5th. Lol
Well, you can feel warm and fuzzy about Backlund as a Flames fan all you want and think he has a lot of value.

Truth is, players like him (e.g. Tyler Johnson) are getting waived and clearing. Is that set in stone for Backlund? no. However, he doesn't have the value some seem to believe on here imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #1818
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Sidney Crosby would probably clear waivers too

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #1819
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sidney Crosby would probably clear waivers too
Sidney Crosby and his contract are equivalent to a good 3rd line center being paid over $5 MM?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #1820
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, you can feel warm and fuzzy about Backlund as a Flames fan all you want and think he has a lot of value.

Truth is, players like him (e.g. Tyler Johnson) are getting waived and clearing. Is that set in stone for Backlund? no. However, he doesn't have the value some seem to believe on here imo.
So it happened with Tyler Johnson who are the other players of this ilk that have cleared waivers this year?? Johnson cleared simply because teams are seeing the predicament Tbay is in with their cap situation and they are trying to take advantage. Backlund is almost assuredly worth more than a 5th and would most likely be part of a ‘hockey trade’ opposed to a single 5th round pick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread