Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #2261
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just going to come down to which one, if either, bounces back the most.

Neal has the higher bounce-back potential IMO, but Lucic's floor is at least useful to the Flames. Neal's floor is an abomination.

I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I hated the deal at first, but now I can't wait to see how it unfolds on the ice. Lucic is saying all the right things so he won me over.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #2262
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem is that, if neither improves, the oilers are in a better spot, in terms of trading or buying the player out.

The oilers also have the player more likely to improve after a single down years after 10 years of at least 10 goals.

The only thing the Flames can go out and do is GO OUT AND WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #2263
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never liked the trade off the bat, thought we would get more coming back. But read some posts and heard about underlying stats, thought it wasn’t as bad as I originally thought.
The one thing I don’t like is the conditional 3rd. It just says ya, we lost the trade, but now we get a consolation prize.
I trust BT, obviously knows what he is doing, but I wish he would have just maximized the value of the trade right away. No conditions, just get the most that you can, and move on with what we get.
Now, we can feel better if Neal does great because we get a pick. I don’t like it.
I would have rather taken a 5th rounder with no conditions.

Other then that, Lucic is an upgrade to our bottom 6. So looking forward to that.
Doctorfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #2264
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames desperately needed a player of Lucic’ ilk. We are paying a lot of money for it but Neal was dead money anyways. I don’t like it, but am willing to give it a chance.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #2265
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
The problem is that, if neither improves, the oilers are in a better spot, in terms of trading or buying the player out.

The oilers also have the player more likely to improve after a single down years after 10 years of at least 10 goals.

The only thing the Flames can go out and do is GO OUT AND WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING!
If they both suck next season Lucic is easier to trade IMO...He will only be owed just over 3M a season in real money...that was just brought to my attention today and is a big factor IMO
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #2266
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If they both suck next season Lucic is easier to trade IMO...He will only be owed just over 3M a season in real money...that was just brought to my attention today and is a big factor IMO
Yup. Helps a budget team make it to the cap floor.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #2267
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Give him another year?????? What a joke he was sat in the playoffs what makes you think peters is going to do anything for neal or that neal wanted anything with calgary after that?
He was an outcast in the locker room an outcast with the coach and had the worst metrics if anyone in the team including the rookies and had a bad attitude. He couldnt be traded unless an ugly contract came back and hes obviously not getting bought out so what exactly do you do that would he good assett management at this point?????

Super curious.
fair enough but then who are the monkeys that assessed his value and decided to spend 25 million to bring him here? I mean something doesn’t add up. Either he underperformed or the flames brass is &@$&&&ing clueless
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #2268
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
fair enough but then who are the monkeys that assessed his value and decided to spend 25 million to bring him here? I mean something doesn’t add up. Either he underperformed or the flames brass is &@$&&&ing clueless
Oh, I know this one. He underperformed.

Didn’t seem to give a crap either, right up to his very last seconds played for the team.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #2269
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He underperformed, seemingly pouted and now I’m wondering what exactly the whole mid season injury was. Good riddance to the guy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 AM   #2270
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Probably been answered already but didn't Elliott Friedman call this exact trade a few months ago and get roasted for it?????????.
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bucksmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #2271
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post

This has been mentioned a few times, but it's actually 100 percent false.

If the Oilers buy out Neal, they actually end up spending more money and having more count against the cap (for longer) than if Calgary traded Lucic up to 50 percent retained. (I mentioned this already, but I keep seeing it repeated).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #2272
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Yup. Helps a budget team make it to the cap floor.
But he has a NTC, that likely has every budget team on it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #2273
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to see any positives on this deal for the Flames. Head scratcher. If you want to just get rid of James Neal, than do it and bring in some young brute to patrol the wings on a minimum salary. I don't buy the argument that there wasn't a deal out there for Neal whereby the Flames pretty much just give away a perennial 20 goal scorer for a pick or two.

Concerning that his worst NHL year was here. Its easy to blame it all on him, but that is unlikely to be the whole story.

I really can’t believe anyone seriously believes that Neal could be traded for a few draft picks.

Are you not following what’s been going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #2274
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what is crazy about giving Neal another season to prove his worth before taking garbage off the oilers hands. There had to be a better deal here somewhere.

Most likely Neal forced this somehow but I don’t have a clue how that came to be. Clearly he told the flames he was not playing for them again after being sat by peters in the playoffs.

No matter how you shake it this is poor asset management and treliving wears this. And to let your arch rival dump their albatross contract on you? Now that is crazy
The crazy logic is saying that surely Neal could have been traded for picks...
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #2275
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ya im sure treliving was turning down offers left and right fir an overpriced 30 plus year old who didnt have just a bad year but was the worst player on the team and was scratched in the playoffs.
Do you really think other gm's were out to lunch or busy that day and somehow missed it??? This narrative is old and ridiculous. If a better deal was out there it would have been taken but here we are.

As far as the original signing please show me a team in the league that doesn't have an overpiced vet or a skunk contract that they regret signing. Ill wait.

Last edited by Fan69; 07-23-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #2276
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
This has been mentioned a few times, but it's actually 100 percent false.

If the Oilers buy out Neal, they actually end up spending more money and having more count against the cap (for longer) than if Calgary traded Lucic up to 50 percent retained. (I mentioned this already, but I keep seeing it repeated).
Oiler 12.5 percent retention also persists in a second trade. Flames then only have to cover the remaining 37.5 percent (2.25 m) for the remaining contract years to maximize retention.

A 3m per year Lucic may be movable to a cap floor team for a pick/prospect if it comes to that for the last years of the contract.

50% retention seems much more likely than buyout.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #2277
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I probably shouldn't be surprised at over reactions after 6 years on CP but I guess I'm a little surprised at the over reactions. The trade is junk for junk and there is no clear winner. Both teams are happy to be rid of a player and are hoping their acquisition will rebound and be a better fit.

Maybe it comes down to expectations. The Oilers were 2nd worst in the conference. James Neal being a season removed from a top 6 scoring role gives their fans some reason to hope. The Flames winning the conference despite Neal leaves our fans wondering why a deal was even needed at all, especially one for a rival's worst contract.

Let's wait and see. At the worst the Flames traded their 13th forward for a 13th forward.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #2278
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Oiler 12.5 percent retention also persists in a second trade. Flames then only have to cover the remaining 37.5 percent (2.25 m) for the remaining contract years to maximize retention.

A 3m per year Lucic may be movable to a cap floor team for a pick/prospect if it comes to that for the last years of the contract.

50% retention seems much more likely than buyout.
But remember Lucic has a NMC/NTC clause. That makes him harder to move especially to a bottom feeder.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #2279
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bt talking about trade on 960 now
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #2280
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
The crazy logic is saying that surely Neal could have been traded for picks...
He maybe could have been traded for picks....

Flames picks
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: