Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default (SPOILERS) X-Men: Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

This thread is for people who have seen the movie and want to discuss it.

I will return in a few days :P

Last edited by GreenLantern; 05-27-2014 at 06:09 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Apocalypse now!

I am totally flabbergasted they managed to get so many cast members from previous movies into this one. Kelsey Grammar for 1 second lol! I don't think I saw Nightcrawler though.

Fantastic way to save the mess of X3, by retconning it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-23-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was really good, only second to X2 for my favorite in the series. The performances were all great, and I like how they resolved or connected some of the elements in the universe.

For example how Stryker works for Trask, and learns about mutants from him, and then finds Wolverine in the end. Then I also like how they explain Xavier's depression, and that he's only able to walk through use of that serum (but can't use his powers).

Once again they did an effective job of using them as a backdrop of history, although saying JFK was a mutant was kind of lame.

The future scenes were good for the most part, although initially it was kind of confusing, without explaining what was happening. I much preferred the look of the future sentinels, as they were more like Vindicator from the comics. Also it was kind of lame how Magneto was so easily able to control them in the past. Kind of a cop out really that Trask didn't even consider that.

Loved Quicksilver too, but it was disappointing when they just leave him behind for no particular reason. Hopefully he shows up in future movies, but I could see how too much of him could be a bad thing.

They sort of downplay Wolverine in this movie, which I didn't mind. It's a shame we didn't get to see his real claws, or see him tear up a few sentinels. But at least they explained why he was the one chosen to be sent back.

There are a few problems I have though. There weren't really any major action set pieces. Not like I need that many, but there could have been a mutant battle, or something other than the sentinels decimating the future X-Men. X2 didn't have a ton of action in it either, but the Nightcrawler in the Whitehouse and Wolverine vs. Deathstrike were stellar. Then I also don't like how Jean and Scott just randomly show up at the end. I realize that Wolverine going back "changed" the future, but it was too convenient for me without further explanation.

Overall they did a great job of cramming in so much material into 140 minutes. All the major players got the proper amount of screentime, and fans of any of the characters shouldn't be too disappointed.

Definitely looking forward to Age of Apocalypse, but which cast will they use for future movies? People still love the original cast, but Fassbender, McAvoy, and Lawrence are such huge stars that it's hard to envision them not being used in future movies. I wouldn't mind at all if they were split into two different universes, and that a new movie comes out every year. Heck they could even make movies of "future" X-Men as there is so much territory full of rich characters they could potentially explore.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Patrick Stewart did a MUCH better job of passing the torch to McAvoy than Shatner did with Stewart lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was very ho hum about first class, so I went into this movie with very tempered expectations. The 1st part of the flick with the sentinels in the future was probably the perfect way to start the movie., I had a genuine sense of dread for the future mutants; the peril they faced was very real and it felt like it.

I got a little concerned when wolverine showed up and they almost re-created the terminator 2 scene when he, very nearly, asked for his motorcycle and boots and stole sunglasses off the guy a la arny. The movie was great tho, I really enjoyed it. A little bit of terminator 2, a little x-men, and even a little homeland season 1 with the assassin being in the bunker with the president.

I'd say it was a solid comic book movie and was almost as enjoyable as the original X-Men movie. Fassbender=awesome btw. Such a great Magneto.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
There are a few problems I have though. There weren't really any major action set pieces. Not like I need that many, but there could have been a mutant battle, or something other than the sentinels decimating the future X-Men. X2 didn't have a ton of action in it either, but the Nightcrawler in the Whitehouse and Wolverine vs. Deathstrike were stellar. Then I also don't like how Jean and Scott just randomly show up at the end. I realize that Wolverine going back "changed" the future, but it was too convenient for me without further explanation.
This is precisely the reason why I like this movie so much. It's character driven and not action driven. Most superhero movies are action driven and it's just relentless scenes of destruction, mayhem, and people flying around and shooting things. I loved that the three "good guys" were just a helpless man in a wheelchair, a timid and reluctant Beast, and a Wolverine without adamantium. It grounded the film and made threats feel much more real whereas the characters sometimes have too many ridiculous powers (as in the future sequences).

Jean and Scott showing up is wonderful and wasn't random. Wolverine indicated to young Xavier to watch out and protect those people. Wolverine's intervention in the past resulted in Xavier coming out of his funk much, much earlier than in the original timeline. In the original timeline, Xavier might have been in depression and reliant on his drugs for another decade before getting his act together. This results in him being much more capable, mature, and being able to intervene in the lives of mutants at a much earlier stage.

The return of that cast is a nice bookend to the series and a nice send-off because the series is going to focus on McAvoy and Fassbender now. Age of Apocalypse will take place in the 80s.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anybody seen it in 3D? I despise 3D, but if the movie lends itself more to 3D, I can tolerate it.

More specifically are the action set pieces shaky cam/ quick cuts in and out?
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Arbitor
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Has anybody seen it in 3D? I despise 3D, but if the movie lends itself more to 3D, I can tolerate it.

I saw it in 3D. There are some neat effects with it, but like all movies where 3D is shoehorned in, it's still pretty pointless.

The action isn't shaky cam and only a few quick cuts.
Arbitor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arbitor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

It's another 3D converted film. It's not a big action piece. Most of the action is in the future where it's constantly dark so there isn't any depth to be seen anyway. It's another movie where your brain forgets it's 3D after awhile. It's more or less filmed traditionally and a character driven piece like I said. No jumpy/shaky cam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is precisely the reason why I like this movie so much. It's character driven and not action driven. Most superhero movies are action driven and it's just relentless scenes of destruction, mayhem, and people flying around and shooting things. I loved that the three "good guys" were just a helpless man in a wheelchair, a timid and reluctant Beast, and a Wolverine without adamantium. It grounded the film and made threats feel much more real whereas the characters sometimes have too many ridiculous powers (as in the future sequences).

Jean and Scott showing up is wonderful and wasn't random. Wolverine indicated to young Xavier to watch out and protect those people. Wolverine's intervention in the past resulted in Xavier coming out of his funk much, much earlier than in the original timeline. In the original timeline, Xavier might have been in depression and reliant on his drugs for another decade before getting his act together. This results in him being much more capable, mature, and being able to intervene in the lives of mutants at a much earlier stage.

The return of that cast is a nice bookend to the series and a nice send-off because the series is going to focus on McAvoy and Fassbender now. Age of Apocalypse will take place in the 80s.
I do agree with you that it works better as a character piece, and doesn't need to be driven by action scenes. Like in Winter Solider I loved pretty much everything but the last massive action set piece, because it was overly relentless, and kept going for half an hour, and lost me at some point. But take a movie like X2 where there were a couple memorable shorter action scenes, that didn't go on for too long, and helped elevate the movie to the top in my view. This was a great character piece, but nothing quite as memorable as say Nightcrawler in the Whitehouse or Wolverine in the mansion. Even First Class has the scene with Magneto and the submarine, which was pretty awesome (same with Magneto in Argentina). This one didn't really have that, although him lifting the stadium was pretty amazing. It's great that the franchise is grounded in reality, but they could have given us say a Wolverine vs. Magneto fight, especially when Wolvie doesn't have adamantium fused to his skeleton.

I do think it was too easy for them to "fix" The Last Stand. They didn't bother explaining away how Xavier was "revived", or really how Magneto got all of his powers back. The same goes with Jean and Scott just being there in the end. It all seems like is was too easy for them to resolve, especially when you consider all the stuff involving Jean in "The Wolverine", and how her death took such a toll on him. Now she's just back without any real consequence. Is it better this way? I suppose so, but in the right setting they could have resolved it better.

As for which cast they will use in the future, Singer did state that it will be set in the 80s, so it does make sense they will use the Fassbender/McAvoy group. But with Apocalypse being the time hopper that he is, they really could play around with that once again, and include whoever they like. Jackman is still a huge draw, and who knows if the inclusion of Gambit will make up for his absence. Also I know many people still have an affinity for the first group, so can they just leave it the way this ended? I hope they have Lawrence/Mystique work for Apocalypse though. I know Singer is a huge fan of the cartoon, so I could see her working for him (possibly being one of his Four Horsemen even).
Old 05-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
they could have given us say a Wolverine vs. Magneto fight, especially when Wolvie doesn't have adamantium fused to his skeleton.
They did, Wolverine had it handed to him completely since Magneto could just manipulate all the metal debris in the environment to take him out. I don't see any way Wolverine could actually stand toe to toe with Magneto unless there were a lot fewer objects for Magneto to use.

This explains it:

Quote:
I do think it was too easy for them to "fix" The Last Stand. They didn't bother explaining away how Xavier was "revived", or really how Magneto got all of his powers back. The same goes with Jean and Scott just being there in the end. It all seems like is was too easy for them to resolve, especially when you consider all the stuff involving Jean in "The Wolverine", and how her death took such a toll on him. Now she's just back without any real consequence. Is it better this way? I suppose so, but in the right setting they could have resolved it better.
Xavier was revived at the end of Last Stand. He transferred his mind into another body. They could have explained why he still appears as Patrick Stewart and why he's still in a wheelchair but they never did that. Maybe it's just mental manipulation of everybody's perception of his appearance. He was already in this state in the end of The Wolverine in the post credits sequence.

Jean and Cyclops being back doesn't mean it is without consequences or that things never happened.. The events of The Wolverine and Origins probably didn't happen that way in the new timeline, but for Logan, he still remembers all of that as this is now just an alternate timeline (multiverse as Singer said). He still experienced all that trauma and still has all those memories, only his reality is a little rosier now to his relief. It's kind of like waking up from a horrible nightmare.

Ultimately, everybody being back erases some troubled spots in the franchise history and opens more doors for future films instead of just having everybody dead in a bizarre way (thanks Ratner) which I think is a good thing.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-24-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

So a thing, just cause the damage is done for me. I clicked on this thread from the main board screen showing the last thread posted in and read Trackercrowe's post before realizing what was going on.

Anyway we can move the spoiler tag to the front of the thread name? The two thread's title reads the same and the board cuts off the spoilers aspect. For idiots like me, ofcourse.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
They did, Wolverine had it handed to him completely since Magneto could just manipulate all the metal debris in the environment to take him out. I don't see any way Wolverine could actually stand toe to toe with Magneto unless there were a lot fewer objects for Magneto to use.
Well that's exactly it, they could have had a fight without the metal debris. Beast and Magneto got into a tiff, in which Beast kinda had the victory (almost killing him), until Magneto restrained him. It's all beside the point really, as a memorable action scene can involve anyone really.

Why not have Wolverine tear up a few sentinels? Say at the beginning of the movie where all the future X-Men are killed off, they could have had Wolverine go toe-to-toe with a few sentinels before being the last one to perish. One issue people have always had is that Wolverine needs to hold back, as he's not allowed to kill (at least innocents). But here he had the opportunity to take on an enemy where he could show how ruthless he could really be without remorse. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me.

As for the rest, like I said others probably won't have a problem with it. I would have been fine if they had overlooked Last Stand altogether, any maybe they would have if they didn't bring back Ellen Page. I just think it's too easy for them to overlook it all if they intend on keeping it as part of the continuity.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for the rest, like I said others probably won't have a problem with it. I would have been fine if they had overlooked Last Stand altogether, any maybe they would have if they didn't bring back Ellen Page. I just think it's too easy for them to overlook it all if they intend on keeping it as part of the continuity.
Well, it is part of continuity - just like the original star trek movies are part of the continuity of the new star trek movies.

That POS X3 is still in continuity, but thanks to this time travel reboot - no characters outside of Wolverine ever actually experienced it. I think they handled it as well as they could have.

...!@#$in Ratner.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking forward to this movie for a long time, followed all the viral campaigns and panels and what not. ANd I honestly went in with very lofty excitement and expectations.

I am completely satisfied. Loved every minute of it. The end was great. As said above, investing in the characters rather than the action pieces paid huge dividends. Seeing all those characters back you could feel Logan's happiness.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #16
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

They're dealing with secondary mutations but completely ignore Iceman's? Pffft, he's been turned to steam and still reconstituted himself.

Was shocked with how many people had no idea who En Sabbah Nur is. Pretty good chance we see more time travel with the next film. Expect Cable and when there's Cable....

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #17
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

X-men cannot do a movie without Cable being introduced at some point. One of my favorite Marvel Characters. So badass.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
X-men cannot do a movie without Cable being introduced at some point. One of my favorite Marvel Characters. So badass.
And with Cable comes...

One of the best things about this movie is that hopefully they use it to wipe Origins.

Also, Famke Janssen hasn't aged since Perfect Mate, jesus. Was she given the CGI treatment or is she just like Patrick Stewart and totally unaging.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 05-25-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well they are doing an X-Force movie, but it's being directed by the guy who did Kick-Ass 2, so it will likely suck.

Stephen Lang (Colonel Miles Quaritch) is rumored to be playing Cable, which I suppose is an acceptable choice. Although he's over 60 years old, so maybe they should look for someone a bit younger?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they are doing an X-Force movie, but it's being directed by the guy who did Kick-Ass 2, so it will likely suck.

Stephen Lang (Colonel Miles Quaritch) is rumored to be playing Cable, which I suppose is an acceptable choice. Although he's over 60 years old, so maybe they should look for someone a bit younger?
Maybe I am out to lunch, but someone who I feel is capable of pulling off Cable....is Mel Gibson.

Lang's acting schtick does play well to Cable though. Just not sure I an get the Avatar role out of my head when watching him play Cable.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote