Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #381
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well those bullet smokers are what guys use in competitions, so I would imagine its pretty solid?

I don't find it hard to keep the temperature under 300, but you do have to watch it because once you go too high its hard to get it back down. Once its rolling at 225-250 though it maintains it really well. Same goes for whatever temperature I've wanted to maintain.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #382
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I'm too cheap to spend all the money that a Weber costs.

I went to Walmart and spent $498 on this...

Its solid.
Looks like a decent BBQ, but that Photoshop job...
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #383
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well those bullet smokers are what guys use in competitions, so I would imagine its pretty solid?

I don't find it hard to keep the temperature under 300, but you do have to watch it because once you go too high its hard to get it back down. Once its rolling at 225-250 though it maintains it really well. Same goes for whatever temperature I've wanted to maintain.
ya its fine, and it works well. But I do like the versatility that the keg has around a wider range of temperature. I simply asked the big expert guy a simple question about the temps that keg can keep and it sounds like he did a good job of down selling me with false info
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #384
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
jeez the guy at bbq galore who was the big smoking expert said its very tough to keep a temp below 300 so I passed on the broil king keg and got this thing instead. Its decent but I'm disappointed to hear I got steered away from what I wanted for a false reason.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/...in-cooker-22-1.

I must say over the years, I have had just gawd awful service from BBQ galore.
Since you don't like it, want to sell it?
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #385
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mods, should this be moved to the food thread?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #386
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Since you don't like it, want to sell it?
Ha no it's fine, thx, I'll probably keep it for now, but maybe next year if I get a Keg I'll PM you.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #387
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have any good ribs BBQ sauce recommendations? I tried this for the first time recently and its the best one I have used yet.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...rus-bbq-sauce/

It has the consistency of honey and if you leave it on for about 90 min at 225 or so it burns nicely and creates a pretty good coating. It stays pretty sticky so it can make a mess but it taste's pretty good.

Any other suggestions out there?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #388
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Got a weber a few years ago from BBQ's galore. The interior top piece has paint that is all peeling. Kind of freaks me out because I assume that paint is some pretty industrial strength stuff and it probably falls into the food.

I have this thing in the back of my mind that in 10 years all the studies are going to show that grilling is to be cancer causing because we are charring all this stuff and the cheapass coating on these barbeques is falling into th3e food and we are eating it.
If it's in the inside of the lid on the top that's not paint. It looks like paint but it's goop buildup that flakes off, the intense heat retention (a good thing) causes all that build up and after a year or so it builds up and the kiln like conditions cause it to crystallize at the top. just scrape or pressure wash it off every year or so. I know too much about this carcinogenic meat flammage. I googled it a while ago.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #389
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hello,
I just picked up a Char-Broil 2 burner infra-red BBQ from Lowe's this week & aside from getting smaller, I also converted to cooking with NG instead of propane.
The switch has been interesting so far to say the least so I was wondering if any of you had some tips for successful grilling with NG?

Also, can any of you recommend any accessories? I have a stainless steel grill & grate now so the wire brush I used on my old grill doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Cheers!
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #390
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
Hello,
I just picked up a Char-Broil 2 burner infra-red BBQ from Lowe's this week & aside from getting smaller, I also converted to cooking with NG instead of propane.
The switch has been interesting so far to say the least so I was wondering if any of you had some tips for successful grilling with NG?

Also, can any of you recommend any accessories? I have a stainless steel grill & grate now so the wire brush I used on my old grill doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Cheers!
I have the larger version of this and love it! There is a specialized brush that Lowe's sell for 10 bucks...works fine for me. I for one am SO glad to be out of those lame "porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates" that I had with my previous Broil King P.O.S. Apparently your old wire brush will be just fine on the stainless, Heck they even told me I can pop them out and fire them through my dishwasher! Can't see how I'll ever need to though as everything seems pretty easy to clean so far.
BigBCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBCalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #391
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So Rona is having one of their 15% off any single item on saturday (according to the ads on HNIC) and I was thinking this guy might be a good one.

Thoughts from the CP hive mind?
http://www.rona.ca/en/barbecue---45-...ct_store=62850
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #392
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Anyone have any good ribs BBQ sauce recommendations? I tried this for the first time recently and its the best one I have used yet.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...rus-bbq-sauce/

It has the consistency of honey and if you leave it on for about 90 min at 225 or so it burns nicely and creates a pretty good coating. It stays pretty sticky so it can make a mess but it taste's pretty good.

Any other suggestions out there?
I have a very good recipe that I will share with you:

1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced garlic (can use more)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
5 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (do not use the fine black pepper!)
1 pinch cayenne pepper (or adjust to taste)
2 cups ketchup
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup cider vinegar or 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup prepared french's yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons liquid smoke

Heat oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes, then add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add in chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper; stir for 1 minute.
Add in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon to combine.
Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 1 to 1.5 hours over low heat (do not cover the pot or the texture and flavor will be affected, if you have a splatter screen then use it to cover the pot).
Cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more before using.

It's slightly labor intensive, but once you smell it, and taste it (after the 24 hour refrigeration period) you'll never buy bbq sauce again. I call it "The Nectar of the Gods". This recipe is good for about 2.5 cups of sauce.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #393
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You lost me at liquid smoke.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #394
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
You lost me at liquid smoke.
Liquid smoke is radical and serves its purpose. But by all means, feel free to naturally smoke the A-SAW-WASS!!!
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #395
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had a choice between Cuisinart MasterChef and a Broil-mate - what would you choose? Both are natural gas with side burners.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #396
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
Hello,

Cheers!
I found when I switched to bbqing with NG that cook times went up. I think it cooks at a slightly lower temperature. It seems to be a good thing as I find a lot of the meat I bbq now to be juicier. I like it but it did take a bit to get used to.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #397
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
I found when I switched to bbqing with NG that cook times went up. I think it cooks at a slightly lower temperature. It seems to be a good thing as I find a lot of the meat I bbq now to be juicier. I like it but it did take a bit to get used to.
I find the same thing, it takes longer to heat up and cook but controlling the temperature is a lot easier with NG
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linecook For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #398
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the tips everyone - the whole NG thing is definitely an adjustment....I hate to admit it but I almost miss my old (occasional) flare ups but the upside is that everything has been delish so far with no accidental lumps of charcoal that used to be meat showing up on my plate.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #399
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Picked up the Napoleon this weekend, what an excellent BBQ, this thing is so amazing.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #400
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Once your hose from the grill is hooked up to the gas line, get some dish soap/water mix and cover the coupled area. Turn on gas and grill. If the soap mixture bubbles you have a leak. Probably won't happen.

make sure you use the proper tape on the threads.
Thanks gents - Weber Genesis 320 setup & ready for action!

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber