Blackgate is super laggy for me, switching to yaks im thinking
Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #122
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Blackgate is super laggy for me, switching to yaks im thinking
I played an hour tonight and it was pretty laggy too.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #123
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah i switched over and yaks is considerably better
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #124
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone know if you can still pre-purchase, right now, and get access now?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #125
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I first fired it up I thought the launcher was downloading the whole friggen game again. Thankfully its just updating a bunch of the files.

On my way to Yak's Bend!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #126
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Log-in servers aren't working. >=(
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #127
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Taking me forever to patch, but when I do look out world..
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #128
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was finally able to log in. Seems every name in the world is already taken... >_<
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #129
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

How about dirkdiggler?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #130
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finally got my character made on Yaks.

Anyone got a guild going on there? I won't be back online until Sunday. Going out of town.

Later.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #131
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
Was finally able to log in. Seems every name in the world is already taken... >_<
Every name is taken because those that had GW1 could save their name in GW2
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #132
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So far I have had fun on my Elementalist. I went out to the Borderlands for a little, but we are getting destroyed out there.

I find the leveling to be tedious, like any game. The events are pretty fun but just like RIFT and WAR they are just a big clusterfudge and I find it hard to target enemy bars. I don't like the overhead name system in this game, I wonder if there is a way to make it look more like DAoC's.

I have a lot to learn still.. which is cool.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #133
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is something about the combat in this game that just feels off to me. It's slow and muggy. I do one thing and then I have to wait 2 seconds for that thing to happen.

I realize they're trying to use the collision detection system, not auto target... but man, I don't know if this game is for me. Maybe it's just my profession.

I also hate the lack of class roles in the game.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #134
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is your profession? I feel compared to wow this combat system is years ahead.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #135
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a thief. I really just feel like I'm doing nothing. I'll use my elite skill and get a kill, but then I'm useless until it cools down.

I'm just not seeing enough from my character.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #136
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm a thief. I really just feel like I'm doing nothing. I'll use my elite skill and get a kill, but then I'm useless until it cools down.

I'm just not seeing enough from my character.
In the beta events I didn't like the thief. If you like melee toons roll a guardian for pure pwnage.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #137
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy the thief when I tried it in the beta events.

I played a few classes until at least level 6 this weekend, and now I don't know what ones to continue (11 Guardian, 10 Necro, 8 Ele, 8 Ranger, 6 Eng). I think I might have to level them all up - no monthly fee means I'm in no rush!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #138
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The lack of class roles is a bit annoying, I also find this healing system annoying as well.

I am used to playing healing classes, it is a role I enjoy.. also my comp must be classified as "wooden" now because I lag really bad in the frontiers. Game froze for me last night after about 20 minutes at a tower battle. It was fun while it lasted though. Might need to update my memory.

I also am not sure what to do, I have done all of the hearts in my area that I can and my personal quest is too high level/difficult.

So I have nothing left for good EXP.. this game is starting to lose my interest.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #139
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've found myself really enjoying the WvW so far (minus the butt load of running).

Been enjoying my Ele so far but I may try out a Necro soon (anyone whose played one got any insight?).

The lack of class roles does throw me a bit as in other games I would usually go for the healers first. Now I just throw out my aoe's and try and burn down anyone who gets close.

So I guess the friends list works with account names so here's mine: muffins.1064
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #140
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Playing a "pure healer" class is almost impossible in GW2. Honestly, they've focused on damage mitigation moreso than pure healing.

For example, there are Earth Spells which provide 66% less damage reduction and 4 seconds of invulernability.

The Guardian would probably be the closest to damage reduction / healer type class. One of their elite skills has a spell that heals 5 people to 100%. They also have a lot of aura types to mitigate damage.

Thevies are meant to be played as assassins. Get in, Kill, get out. They also have one of the best Crowd Control skills in Scorpion Wire (yes, just like Scorpion) as it pulls a foe to you and can pull people off walls. Repositioning is power, which enables your group to kill them. Thevies are probably the one class above all else that will benefit from having a full build with items, enabling you to spec high burst damage and your elite. Most other classes won't be stacking burst potential.

Elementalists are your utility casters - they have very long range, have a couple decent damage AoEs and lots of CC.

For example, when chasing a fleeing group, you want an Ele with you. Basically you get a rotation going of your Water spells (Frozen Ground - 66% slow), Air Spells (Swiftness boost and 1.5 second stun), Earth Spells (Cripple - 50% slow, and and Immobilize).

Just keep in mind that the PvP is different from your normal MMO - a good, organized group can take on a PUG group 2-3x its size. Our guild did it a couple times where 30 people took over 80.

There is a point where numbers can overwhelm, but with the right compositions, you can stand your ground.

A couple things they need to fix is load times. One of the things we've used to our advantage is mesmer portaling into the middle of a group and wrecking them. Partly because the load times aren't that good and sometimes, a person can be right up on you before they appear on your screen. It works both ways though, as when you portal in, you need to blindly drop AoEs because you can't see anyone.

I think they'll fix this eventually. I know the WvW wait times were crazy last night too - they should be working at fixing that I hope, considering this is the prepurchase portion. I can't imagine how crazy it will be once it goes live to retail.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote