Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #1701
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They tried a lot a Tkachuk-Bennett a couple years ago. I was actually surprised when I looked and saw how much.

In answer to a bunch of other stuff - yes, it’s easy to say they could have traded Monahan and used Bennett, or played Bennett on the second line (instead of Backlund I guess). But that’s ignoring what was going on with those guys at the same time. Monahan has only dipped last year and this one, and Backlund has always been good. Coaches want to win, and developing guys, giving them room, isn;t exactly second nature.

The fact Fla is doing it is, still IMO, is because it’s natural to do it with a new guy. And it worked, like it sometimes does. It’s sort of what happened with Lindholm (when I’m sure he was acquired to be a centre). It’s not the first time, nor is it the last. It may last, it may not. What’s definite is that it wasn’t working here, there was going to be an issue at the expansion draft, and at the bargaining table, and he asked for a trade. So it’s still the best outcome that could be expected. The rest is in the past.

I agree with most of the above but Hartley talked about playing stars when they were raw, letting them use their skills. I believe coach Q knows this from coaching Kane and Toews. I don't believe this is something done by habit in Bennett's case, I believe this coach knows exactly what he is doing which is something our previous coaches failed.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #1702
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How many times did Bennett ever see the ice in overtime for the Flames? If he continues to light things up into the playoffs I think things will look pretty grim for Trelving returning. As if the performance if the team isn't enough there's mounting evidence of asset mismanagement.
We should all be pulling for Sam to heap as much egg on Treliving’s face as is humanly possible.

No better way to secure his exit.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #1703
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I agree with most of the above but Hartley talked about playing stars when they were raw, letting them use their skills. I believe coach Q knows this from coaching Kane and Toews. I don't believe this is something done by habit in Bennett's case, I believe this coach knows exactly what he is doing which is something our previous coaches failed.
I'm not trying to turn Sean Monahan into a checker - Bob Hartley
I'm trying to turn Sam Bennett into a checker - Glen Gulutzan, Bill Peters, Geoff Ward

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #1704
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Watch Mtl and Van collapse, Flames back in to the playoffs, and Tre have his job saved

Just kidding. Even if Sutter gets them in, my opinion is that Tre should go.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #1705
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Watch Mtl and Van collapse, Flames back in to the playoffs, and Tre have his job saved

Just kidding. Even if Sutter gets them in, my opinion is that Tre should go.
My opinion is that as long as ownership refuses to rebuild the right way, it doesn't matter who is GM as the onus will always be low risk, low reward moves.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #1706
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'm not trying to turn Sean Monahan into a checker - Bob Hartley
I'm trying to turn Sam Bennett into a checker - Glen Gulutzan, Bill Peters, Geoff Ward

Florida does not want Sam Bennett as a checker, they want him scoring goals and are making sure they do everything possible to make that happen. They see Sam as exactly what he was drafted for.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #1707
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Florida does not want Sam Bennett as a checker, they want him scoring goals and are making sure they do everything possible to make that happen. They see Sam as exactly what he was drafted for.
Unfortunately his talent level does not live up to that expectation. It just doesn't. He made a decent shot on the OT winner, but it is beyond obvious that is one the goaltender wanted back. He knew he blew that one immediately and reacted accordingly. Sam is hot right now, and everything he touches turns into something positive. We saw this before. What happens when Sam returns to Sam level player? That is what needs to be considered. I hope Coach Q believes he's tapped into something special and sells the GM on that, because the contract mistake they make will make Treliving look like a genius. Anyone actually watching the games knows what Bennett is. He's the guy at the right time on a line where everything is working. The only thing missing is the purple drink.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #1708
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

"amazing return for Brad"

2 weeks later

"he should be fired for this deal alone"

ah CP
Old 04-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #1709
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Here's the scouts:
Pro Scout: Steve Pleau
Head European Pro Scout: Hakan Loob
Amateur Scouts: Jim Cummins (USHL), Terry Doran (OHL), Ari Haanpaa (Europe), Bobbie Hagelin (Europe), Bob MacMillan (QMJHL),Allister MacNeil, Eric Soltys (New England), Reid Jackson, Robert Neuhauser, Billy Powers, Darren Kruger, Patrick Lachance

Do we start to blame Steve Pleau for everything? Pro scouting has seemingly been terrible.
Is That Bob MacMillan that used to play for the franchise?

I've been surprised before at big name players that do scouting work to earn some bucks. Ran into Brad Park, one of my all time favorite players, after a Houston Aeros game few years ago. He was scouting.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #1710
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know who is happy right now? Sam Bennett's agent.

Florida still has some hockey to play this year, but given his current hot streak, I have to think that Sam will be expecting a substantial raise on his current $2.55M AAV. On a long term deal I think that number starts with a 4 at the very least, maybe even higher.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #1711
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve beat this horse before but I think the flames ruined Bennett. By all accounts he was a skilled player in his draft year where he was touted. Whatever they did killed his confidence and development. Some would point to multiple coaches coming in and having the same results and I think that speaks to the culture of the organization more than anything. Certainly he did himself a disservice for giving up at times but if your boss doesn’t have confidence in you or isn’t giving you enough rope don’t tell me you’re coming into work and giving 100% every day. It weighs on you and it festers. Frankly he should’ve asked for a trade early in his career.

In Florida they’re giving him a chance. Skills are mediocre after letting it wane over the years but he’s making the best of it. I frankly hope he gets better to rub it in the Treliving era about something not being right. Execs say all the right things but something is clearly off organizationally and I think it starts with Treliving and wiping the surrounding chums.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #1712
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Florida still has some hockey to play this year, but given his current hot streak, I have to think that Sam will be expecting a substantial raise on his current $2.55M AAV. On a long term deal I think that number starts with a 4 at the very least, maybe even higher.
Of course his agent would be happy but nobody is going to give Bennett a long term deal at that price. That is especially true in this day and age. If he continued at this pace for a year he’d get more but nobody is giving him an immovable contract based on 10 GP. With the stagnant cap I’d argue he’s likely to get $2.5 for 2 years at best at seasons end. From there he could cash in if he proves himself.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #1713
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which is going to be a mistake. Bennett is the third wheel on his line. He is not a line driver and should Huberdeau disappear so will this production bump. He's in a great situation and they should pay him accordingly. Anything more than his qualifier will be a mistake they will rue going forward. Give him a prove me two year contract, because as soon as he gets moved, that scoring dries up quicker than the Gila River.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #1714
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Unfortunately his talent level does not live up to that expectation. It just doesn't. He made a decent shot on the OT winner, but it is beyond obvious that is one the goaltender wanted back. He knew he blew that one immediately and reacted accordingly. Sam is hot right now, and everything he touches turns into something positive. We saw this before. What happens when Sam returns to Sam level player? That is what needs to be considered. I hope Coach Q believes he's tapped into something special and sells the GM on that, because the contract mistake they make will make Treliving look like a genius. Anyone actually watching the games knows what Bennett is. He's the guy at the right time on a line where everything is working. The only thing missing is the purple drink.

You realize coach Q has won 3 cups right, the same guy who just recently said he hit a home run with Sam Bennett? So how do you know more than coach Q? You realize that if Sam keeps this up people are not going to put much stalk in what you have been trying to feed them. You admit Sam is hot right now, Sam the replacement level player?

Sorry bud, but you already ate crow on this one, now your going back and forth!

I think you missed the boat on this one!
Old 04-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #1715
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? I love Bennett and am happy to see him do well so far in Florida, but I'm willing to bet money on Sam not getting any contract close to this number on a longterm deal. I mean, unless he wins the Conn Smythe I guess.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #1716
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Really? I love Bennett and am happy to see him do well so far in Florida, but I'm willing to bet money on Sam not getting any contract close to this number on a longterm deal. I mean, unless he wins the Conn Smythe I guess.
I might be heavy on the numbers, but it will be an interesting situation to say the least. Does Florida try to lock him in long term? Or are they willing to sign him to a shorter deal that walks him to UFA? Would Sam even be willing to sign that? I don’t think he has Arb rights either, but a good playoff run would definitely help in negotiating his next deal.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #1717
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You realize coach Q has won 3 cups right, the same guy who just recently said he hit a home run with Sam Bennett? So how do you know more than coach Q? You realize that if Sam keeps this up people are not going to put much stalk in what you have been trying to feed them. You admit Sam is hot right now, Sam the replacement level player?

Sorry bud, but you already ate crow on this one, now your going back and forth!

I think you missed the boat on this one!
I think folks that have watched Sam and hated him for years know a bit more about hockey than Coach Q. And definitely Gulutzan, Ward and Peters know more than coach Q, and Brad definitely knows more than coach Q.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #1718
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Which is going to be a mistake. Bennett is the third wheel on his line.
Are you implying Owen Tippett is the second wheel?

Old 04-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #1719
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Are you implying Owen Tippett is the second wheel?
I thought Duclair was on that line? Did they switch it up? Having said that I doubt Duclair stirs the drink more than Sam
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #1720
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I thought Duclair was on that line? Did they switch it up? Having said that I doubt Duclair stirs the drink more than Sam
Tippett has played on that line for the last two games. Something someone who, as New Era said "Anyone actually watching the games knows"

The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: