Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #1441
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think Bennett's biggest obstical to putting up huge numbers will be staying healthy playing the style he needs to play to be effective.
Bennett isn’t playing some unsustainable style right now from a physicality perspective.

I think so many of us look at Bennett’s play as unsustainable in the playoffs only because in comparison to other players on this team it looked crazy.

Reality is most of the league plays at the pace and with the physicality Bennett plays with.

This team has just created a culture of soft, slow, perimeter play being the standard. It’s why they have no success. It’s not that Bennett’s play was ever unsustainable when he was on - it was that everyone else’s performances were indefensible.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-28-2021 at 04:19 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #1442
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Try Kyle Turris, who Brad Treliving might be familiar with
Turris' numbers didn't look very different since he played 49 and 48 games his first two years in OTT, but you're right; turns out he jumped from 30ish pt pace to 50pt pace immediately.

Of course, Dylan Strome, too.

All 4 of those guys (with Wheeler, Ladd) were traded at age 22 and with a lot fewer NHL gp than Sam, which is a pretty meaningful difference.

I wonder if there is a 24 yo and/or 400gp player who has changed so dramatically?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #1443
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bennett isn’t playing some unsustainable style right now from physicality perspective.

I think so many of us look at Bennett’s play as unsustainable in the playoffs only because in comparison to other players on this team it looked crazy.

Reality is most of the league players at the pace and with the physicality Bennett plays with.

This team has just created a culture of soft, slow, perimeter play being the standard. It’s why they have no success. It’s not that Bennett’s play was ever unsustainable when he was on - it was that everyone else’s performances were indefensible.

This isn’t helping with the denial!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #1444
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems the Panthers are an improved team in terms of shot metrics since adding Bennett, even though they've lost Ekblad and Verhaege

Pre-Bennett
2094:52 5v5 TOI
52.54% CF
53.00% xGF

Post-Bennett
335:12 5v5 TOI
59.98% CF
60.26% xGF

You gotta think they're a contender, especially if their second best winger and best defenseman return.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #1445
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im extremely happy for Sam but everyone who is losing their crap and calling for Treliving’s head, keep in mind a) Huberdeau is a world class talent, playing with him is a huge boost b) sample size is quite small.

Even if he keeps this pace up revert to point a)

I wanted Sam to succeed here but it just was never going to happen. Be happy he is being successful on a team that is easy to cheer for and we got a solid return for him.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #1446
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Turris' numbers didn't look very different since he played 49 and 48 games his first two years in OTT, but you're right; turns out he jumped from 30ish pt pace to 50pt pace immediately.

All 4 of those guys (with Wheeler, Ladd) were traded at age 22 and with a lot fewer NHL gp than Sam, which is a pretty meaningful difference.

I wonder if there is a 24 yo and/or 400gp player who has changed so dramatically?
William Karlsson, our own Lindholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Im extremely happy for Sam but everyone who is losing their crap and calling for Treliving’s head, keep in mind a) Huberdeau is a world class talent, playing with him is a huge boost b) sample size is quite small.

I wanted Sam to succeed here but it just was never going to happen. Be happy he is being successful on a team that is easy to cheer for and we got a solid return for him.
And why was it never going to happen? Could it be because of the team constructed around him by the GM and because of horrific usage by the coaches the GM hired?
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #1447
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Perhaps this is payback for Kristian Huselius.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #1448
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I kind of agree with the angle that just being happy is good enough. You can't go backwards. I'm excited for Bennett and it's fun to watch, but I don't get any joy from thinking about what could've been, why it wasn't, and which head should or shouldn't roll because of it.

Just enjoy the ride that is the highest drafted Calgary Flame finally doing well on an exciting team! It's a nice break from thinking about our team.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #1449
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
our own Lindholm
I'd say Lindholm got legitimate top six opportunity in Carolina. Which allowed their return for him to not be a B prospect and a second rounder.

Though I do get a chuckle out of "Even if Bennett keeps this pace up Huberdeau is a world class talent, playing with him is a huge boost" as if Gaudreau, Tkachuk circa 2019, Mangiapane etc are not a huge boost to a guy like Lindholm.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #1450
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don't think Bennett will ever be anything close to a true #1C, I am looking wrong about him being a solid #2 basis early returns in Florida.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #1451
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Sam Bennett is not the reason why the Flames should fire Brad and hire a real NHL General Manager.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #1452
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just don't get some of the mentalities that this "is what it is" and "we can't look back". This is the mindset that was taken with Savard, St.Louis, Byron. As fans, we can call out our teams management and decision making and stop accepting this mediocrity. If we let these continue to slide and "just accept" them, no kidding it will continue to happen. Someone will see and do something about it if enough call for it as fans. If we have the "oh well" attitude, they will keep on beating that dead horse. Who's next?
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #1453
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really happy for Sam, I'll always like him...but watching Sportscentre and seeing Sam Bennett tearing it up, and Adam Fox dangling on people, is not an ideal way to fall asleep. The bitterness is real...what a nightmare season for a Flames fan.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #1454
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm of the opinion that he's just on a lucky streak and will fall off big time next season.
If not, This org sucks more then I could possibly imagine.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #1455
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Dylan Strome's points jumped because he got the chance to play with Patrick Kane.

Once he played himself off that line, he's been pretty pedestrian ever since.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #1456
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think it's a stretch he could produce at a 40-50 point level for a season or two... but, even then, he wouldn't be living up to his draft pedigree and I'd still say Calgary made the right call moving him for the return they got.
Everyone talks about the trade for two 2nds being good, I just want to point out that odds are that two 2nd round picks combined will play less NHL games combined that Bennett already has played.

Former NHL general manager Doug MacLean said his math over the last decade showed that only 15% of second round picks ever become impact players.

https://guelphstorm.com/odds-not-gre...hl-draft-picks
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #1457
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
This isn’t helping with the denial!
Sorry that anything but pom poms is denial... Bennett got hurt after 3 games last playoffs didn't he? He still played but was certainly hurtin'

You can shame me when Bennett plays 20 mins a game for 82 next season and puts up 60+.

I wasn't even saying he can't just that that is what might hold him back IMO

Last edited by dino7c; 04-28-2021 at 04:10 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #1458
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Everyone talks about the trade for two 2nds being good, I just want to point out that odds are that two 2nd round picks combined will play less NHL games combined that Bennett already has played.

Former NHL general manager Doug MacLean said his math over the last decade showed that only 15% of second round picks ever become impact players.

https://guelphstorm.com/odds-not-gre...hl-draft-picks
To an extent yes. Unless you have got elite scouting... just consider Tampa drafting Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Cernak, Killorn with their 2nd and 3rds

Old 04-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #1459
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
To an extent yes. Unless you have got elite scouting... just consider Tampa drafting Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Cernak, Killorn with their 2nd and 3rds

I hope we draft a Kucherov (or even an Andersson), I just want certain people to understand the odds are slim.

Odds are, as bad as Bennett was here, that we lost the trade (but it was still a risk we probably needed to take).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #1460
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Odds are, as bad as Bennett was here, that we lost the trade
Honestly, I've been resigned to losing any Bennett trade for years. Maybe that's why I'm numb to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: