Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #3001
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
- Do you believe the insane spending is a wise move?
Our debt and debt servicing costs per capita when compared to other provinces are both middle of the pack and low respectively. As a result of the recession caused by the collapse in the price of oil Alberta was bound to bring on additional debt unless we made significant cuts to our spending but since in my opinion Alberta was already well behind where we needed to be in regards to services I think cuts during the recession would have been more devastating to most Albertans than the additional debt burden will be in the long run. A lot of that debt has gone to keeping people working, not just in the public sector but also in the trades.

Quote:
- Do you believe that the carbon tax is doing anything on the world stage?
No. But I think it’s also unrealistic to assume the implementation of a tax in a province with a population of under 5 million people was ever going to have a major impact on a planet inhabited by over 7 billion people. I do believe it does have an impact on our province’s carbon use, it can be seen in how many businesses have taken steps to reduce energy consumption. It was also effective in generating additional revenue to offset the losses caused by the recession.

Quote:
- Do you believe that hiring anti oil minds to support our O&G sector is a wise move?
This one really depends on the intent. If the intent is to sabotage the industry then obviously no, however I haven’t seen anything that suggests this has been the case. If the intent is for them to use their knowledge of the opposition to help our industry I think it is a good thing for the industry. A good comparison for this tactic is how large corporations hire former trade unionists to handle their labour relations.

Quote:
- Do you think Notley reacted quick enough to the trans mtn thing (she didn't really speak out until Kenney did)?
I think it’s better to wait before reacting rather than to say something in reaction only to backpeddle on it at a later time, which Kenney has done on a few occasions. To be honest this gripe seems a little nit picky.

Quote:
- Do you believe the temporary wine ban was a solid victory for AB?
I don’t think it was ever going to be a solid victory. I think it was done to see if BC would capitulate on their position against pipelines but failing at that it was probably a smart move for Notley not to get into a trade war with a province who has way more leverage than we do in that kind of fight. Especially during the worst recession in our province’s history.

Quote:
- Do you believe it is fair for the NDP to campaign with 1+m of tax payers money?
Is that actually the case even? If you have a source on this I’d like to read it. To be honest I don’t think it would be the worst idea if elections were publicly funded. Take all private money and PACs out of the process and create a level playing field so the candidates with the best ideas or those whose platforms resonate the most with voters are more likely to be elected. It’s a pipe dream at best but I also think it’s in the best interest of the people and democracy.

Quote:
- Do you believe making it more difficult to do business in AB had anything to do with any companies leaving?
Economic conditions are always in flux but I’d say any effect by whatever you’re labeling as making it more difficult to do business in AB was negligible when compared to the impact caused by the collapse of oil.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #3002
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I know one of the editors at PP personally, and while I'll be the first to admit they 100% have a hard left bias and slant, they have never reported false claims.
Well a glowing endorsement from you is just what we needed!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #3003
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #3004
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm having memories of 1996 BC where the NDP came off the ropes and stole that election from the Liberals. Notley doesn't have to overcome any internal scandal inside her own party like Glen Clark did. She just needs enough noise around Kenney who doesn't exactly have broad appeal to begin with and I think she can exploit it.

The old Conservatives under estimated her last time. There doing it again. They continue to do the same things they've done in the past 12 years that eventually drove themselves out of power.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #3005
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'm having memories of 1996 BC where the NDP came off the ropes and stole that election from the Liberals. Notley doesn't have to overcome any internal scandal inside her own party like Glen Clark did. She just needs enough noise around Kenney who doesn't exactly have broad appeal to begin with and I think she can exploit it.

The old Conservatives under estimated her last time. There doing it again. They continue to do the same things they've done in the past 12 years that eventually drove themselves out of power.
Well there isn’t another party to split the vote with so it will be a lot tougher road this time. It really depends if any other parties really get their act together.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #3006
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is an interesting development...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #3007
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nevermind...

Last edited by RedHot25; 03-19-2019 at 07:04 AM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #3008
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Given that this should be an easy situation to deal with, this might ironically be a welcome development for the UCP: a situation they can actually deal with competently, surely.

Quote:
One of the star candidates for Jason Kenney’s United Conservative Party argued white supremacist terrorists face a double-standard compared to Islamic terrorists and echoed white nationalist rhetoric in a Facebook conversation following a 2017 terror attack perpetrated by a neo-Nazi in Charlottesville, Virginia.

UCP Candidate Complained ‘White Supremacist Terrorists’ Are Treated Unfairly, Leaked Messages Show

https://pressprogress.ca/ucp-candida...messages-show/
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #3009
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This party is turning into a stunning tire fire. They basically need to hold a press conference - probably an hour long - to explain, refute, defend and provide evidence-based proof that none of this happened and it's all a misunderstanding.

Although my money is on them doubling-down and going for the hail mary.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #3010
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

UCP scandals are peaking too early
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #3011
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107848223438372869

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #3012
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
UCP scandals are peaking too early

I think people need to brace themselves for the chance they haven't even reached base camp, never mind the peak.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 AM   #3013
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Apparently 10 directors from a constituency association in Calgary have now walked away from the party: https://twitter.com/Aryan_Sadat/stat...112082944?s=19

Dosen't sound like its true and Aryan Sadat made up stories, CTV retracted its story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #3014
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Aryan Sadat.

Send me PM for my off the record comments on him.

Last edited by troutman; 03-19-2019 at 12:11 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 AM   #3015
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107804236127965184
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 AM   #3016
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107905312336633856
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #3017
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Double
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #3018
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Dosen't sound like its true and Aryan Sadat made up stories, CTV retracted its story.

Fair enough and I will delete my post - sorry it was all over twitter .
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #3019
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
“Those words are distortions and not representative of who I am, which is why I’m stepping down immediately after one place reported them. Politics is not war, which is why I’m naming the source who was worried about retribution and laying the blame on him.”

Seems legit.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #3020
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty frustrating we are only seeing activity from 2 parties in this province. It sure seems there is room for a 3rd full time party that doesn't suck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: