Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2023, 10:27 PM   #8361
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau not elite and lacking the individual skill in one day is something else.

If Florida offered us Huberdeau for Johnny or Tkachuk and a 1st in the 2021 offseason people would have jumped at that.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:27 PM   #8362
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Rooney signing was beyond puzzling from Day 1.
Yeah just made no sense whatsoever. I loved the rush out the gate to get him too, like we was just some coveted ace or something. Bizarre.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:47 PM   #8363
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have points in 14 out of the last 17 games, we're starting to turn a corner. Huby put up 115 pts last year, on a line with players who put up 58pts, and 49pts respectively- he absolutely earned the contract he got, and he will get better.

To be fair, Rooney looked pretty good in the pre-season, and had some of us believing that he might be worth his contract. We all talked about how he had surprising speed, and how he was using his size well. Not sure what happened....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 12:55 AM   #8364
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Huberdeau not elite and lacking the individual skill in one day is something else.

If Florida offered us Huberdeau for Johnny or Tkachuk and a 1st in the 2021 offseason people would have jumped at that.
For Gaudreau, yes. For Tkachuk, no.

It's great that Huberdeau got 115 points last season for the Panthers. Now the Flames get to pay 115 point money for a player currently on pace for almost exactly half that total. We didn't benefit from that season, but we will be paying for it.

There was always a really good chance that a 29 year old player having a career year would never reach that total again. His main strength over the years has been how consistent he could produce over a whole season, but I wouldn't say he is an electrifying player who takes over games. He was just really good from game 1 to game 82. A lot of electrifying game breaking players go in slumps, but Huberdeau seemed to never go on slumps, with the exception of his sophomore season. Hopefully he is on the right track now, as he has been productive lately.

That's a really good player. I am just not sure, from what we have seen, that it is a $10.5 million player for 8 years. For that kind of money, you want a player that can carry a team on his back from time-to-time. Has Huberdeau ever been that kind of player? He wouldn't be the first player in the league with a 100 point plus season who was forgettable and that never comes close the replicating that, there are actually a few of them.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-08-2023 at 12:58 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:03 AM   #8365
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The top guys in the league will be making 15-16M soon

Should probably give him more than 40 games too, he is turning into an elite defensive forward. You really need to consider the style of play for the Flames. If he even gets back to PPG and keeps up the other side of the game he is more than worth it.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:30 AM   #8366
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the opposite opinion on huberdeau of many it seems. He looks much better to me lately. I'm much more on the build around him with French players to increase comfort level team. Kadri is the player that fits weird in the lineup if we're being overly critical about contract signings this summer.

But we'll be ok either way!

My new pet acquisition target is Dubois. Fits great in Winnipeg this season but still no extension and that lingering idea that he won't re-sign there. Huberdeau-dubois would be a phenomenal pair.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:09 AM   #8367
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm of the opposite opinion on huberdeau of many it seems. He looks much better to me lately. I'm much more on the build around him with French players to increase comfort level team. Kadri is the player that fits weird in the lineup if we're being overly critical about contract signings this summer.

But we'll be ok either way!

My new pet acquisition target is Dubois. Fits great in Winnipeg this season but still no extension and that lingering idea that he won't re-sign there. Huberdeau-dubois would be a phenomenal pair.
Don't know where the money would come from but Dubois-Kadri-Huberdeau would be quite lethal.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:59 AM   #8368
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just reading that Nashville is potentially going full scorched earth rebuild, looking to move Ekholm, Saros and others. Anything of interest for the Flames there? Would love Forsberg just don’t know how to make it work
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #8369
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Just reading that Nashville is potentially going full scorched earth rebuild, looking to move Ekholm, Saros and others. Anything of interest for the Flames there? Would love Forsberg just don’t know how to make it work
How recent is that? They have won 3 in a row and are right in the wild card mix:

7) COL .566 P%
8) CGY .563
9) NAS .553
10) ED .549
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #8370
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
I'd go after Cody Glass. Young enough to work into a long term picture. Big, RHS C/RW and cheap. NSH rebuilt his game and has had decent results with them this year in a bottom. Six role .

Yakov Trenin is an9ther worth a look.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #8371
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
How recent is that? They have won 3 in a row and are right in the wild card mix:

7) COL .566 P%
8) CGY .563
9) NAS .553
10) ED .549
Read on NHL Trade Rumors this AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #8372
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would love to find a way to get Travis Konecny, I know it won’t happen but think he would be a great fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #8373
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be a great get but better be willing to lose some good assets for Konecny
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:10 AM   #8374
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames could have had Konecny ++ for Gaudreau... during the 2020-21 off-season. His $5MM cap hit would look really nice on the Flames right now.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 11:20 AM   #8375
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I wonder if the Flames could have had Konecny ++ for Gaudreau... during the 2020-21 off-season. His $5MM cap hit would look really nice on the Flames right now.
Doubt we could have gotten the plus plus.

Johnny was coming off 2.5 years of poor regular season play and 2 awful playoff showings. He really tanked his value with his on ice play plus he was a UFA.

We get a signed player back controlled for the next 3 seasons don't think Philly adds much or if anything.

Also wonder if Philly was interested in him. They could have moved JVR with a pick to clear room and sign him but elected not to.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #8376
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Johnny had 107pts in 126 games (0.85ppg) the 2 seasons before that offseason Konecny had 95pts in 116 games (0.82ppg) the same 2 seasons. There would have been no ++. Konecny had 52pts last year compared the the 115 Johnny had.

Interesting enough Konecny is having a huge season this year with 40pts in 33 games compared to the 38 in 38 for Johnny.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #8377
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
For Gaudreau, yes. For Tkachuk, no.

It's great that Huberdeau got 115 points last season for the Panthers. Now the Flames get to pay 115 point money for a player currently on pace for almost exactly half that total. We didn't benefit from that season, but we will be paying for it.

There was always a really good chance that a 29 year old player having a career year would never reach that total again. His main strength over the years has been how consistent he could produce over a whole season, but I wouldn't say he is an electrifying player who takes over games. He was just really good from game 1 to game 82. A lot of electrifying game breaking players go in slumps, but Huberdeau seemed to never go on slumps, with the exception of his sophomore season. Hopefully he is on the right track now, as he has been productive lately.

That's a really good player. I am just not sure, from what we have seen, that it is a $10.5 million player for 8 years. For that kind of money, you want a player that can carry a team on his back from time-to-time. Has Huberdeau ever been that kind of player? He wouldn't be the first player in the league with a 100 point plus season who was forgettable and that never comes close the replicating that, there are actually a few of them.

Hubby is playing much better now. Unless Sutter stacks the first line like he did last year there is no chance hubby gets 115 points under a Sutter system. I don’t think some people realize last year our top line was made up of 2 elite wingers and a #1 Center. Hubby right now is playing with a 1b Center and lucic.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:23 PM   #8378
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
wranglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Don't know where the money would come from but Dubois-Kadri-Huberdeau would be quite lethal.
Would like to see how Pelletier would do on a line with Huberdeau.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #8379
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd go after Cody Glass. Young enough to work into a long term picture. Big, RHS C/RW and cheap. NSH rebuilt his game and has had decent results with them this year in a bottom. Six role .

Yakov Trenin is an9ther worth a look.
Glass is starting to turn a corner, with 7 points in his last 10 games. If there was a chance to grab him, I would pay a hefty price.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:18 PM   #8380
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Hubby is playing much better now. Unless Sutter stacks the first line like he did last year there is no chance hubby gets 115 points under a Sutter system. I don’t think some people realize last year our top line was made up of 2 elite wingers and a #1 Center. Hubby right now is playing with a 1b Center and lucic.
I don't think it was realistic to expect 100 points for Huberdeau again this season. Especially with the big change, I think people forget he was caught off guard with the trade. He was planning to be a Panther for life, not a Flame. The two guys who left Calgary had decided to leave long before so their adjustments are a lot different.

Is Huberdeau a 100 point player going forward? He probably is but he wont be under Darryl Sutter and thats not a knock on Darryl, its pretty much how its been during his coaching tenure in the NHL. All the Kings players won under Darryl, but had career years after he left. Jarome won under Darryl but had career years after we had different coaches.