Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2022, 11:23 PM   #7161
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like Samsonov, but maybe they woke up to the realization that picking up Matt Murray was a horrible idea....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:27 PM   #7162
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
if stuart skinner can be thrown into the deep end behind horrible D and swim don't know why our guy with better acolades can't .. but yes it is a risk . then again every move comes with that
Skinner has played three full seasons in the AHL though. Wolf is just entering his second. Plus Skinner had 14 games experience coming into this season. Wolf has none and has backed up maybe a couple of games.

I have high hopes for him but I would be terrified if they traded Vladar and Markstrom ended up getting hurt.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:14 AM   #7163
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Skinner has played three full seasons in the AHL though. Wolf is just entering his second. Plus Skinner had 14 games experience coming into this season. Wolf has none and has backed up maybe a couple of games.

I have high hopes for him but I would be terrified if they traded Vladar and Markstrom ended up getting hurt.
Not all goalies are created equally and some need the curve track to the NHL to be shorter, Stuart Skinner was "meh" in the Dub and AHL so his curve needed to be long, Dustin Wolf has won almost every award a goalie can achieve the last 3 years so his curve might just be shorter.

I think it was Ken Dryden who said a young goalie needs to up his competition every year for the path to a successful NHL career.

You need not to be terrified though, the Flames won't trade Vladar to play Wolf, they will do what the Flames always do, screw up another prospect goalie.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:38 AM   #7164
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You are not getting a bonafide 1RW for a package involving Vladar. The cap wouldn't work and he is still too green.

Markstrom would have to be traded as he has more value and is an established #1. The cap circus needed to.bring in the the player would also be drastically reduced.

Plenty of teams have won with subpar goaltending but I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a Vladar/Wolf combo.

Anywho Markstrom, our first and a player like Dube could probably bring back a very capable player.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:41 AM   #7165
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

"Plenty of teams have won with subpar goaltending but I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a Vladar/Wolf combo."

I don't know if I'd agree with that statement at all. Won what? In the regular season? Very few teams have won a cup with sub par goaltending. Precious few.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #7166
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mean if you don’t believe that Dustin Wolf has a high chance of being a NHL starter, y’all sniffing paint. this guy has the same ceiling as Saros (Size and Skill). He’s dominating ever leagues he’s played in and outside of two bad games to start the AHL he’s got a 916 save percentage. Goalies are voodoo but wolf is a Unicorn and a special one.

Large goaltenders are honestly slowly becoming the thing of the past. They can’t handle the work load and more importantly it’s hard on the body. The game is fast, we are seeing it with markstrom. Make him move laterally and he lets in some questionable stuff or has no chance unless he pulls a Hasek.

If a desperate team offers you a top 6 RW of youth(22-26) and term. You do whatever it takes to make it work.

Markstrom is still at .895 Save percentage. You could argue Vladdy at .881 has been equally as reliable so far this season.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #7167
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
I mean if you don’t believe that Dustin Wolf has a high chance of being a NHL starter, y’all sniffing paint. this guy has the same ceiling as Saros (Size and Skill). He’s dominating ever leagues he’s played in and outside of two bad games to start the AHL he’s got a 916 save percentage. Goalies are voodoo but wolf is a Unicorn and a special one.

Large goaltenders are honestly slowly becoming the thing of the past. They can’t handle the work load and more importantly it’s hard on the body. The game is fast, we are seeing it with markstrom. Make him move laterally and he lets in some questionable stuff or has no chance unless he pulls a Hasek.

If a desperate team offers you a top 6 RW of youth(22-26) and term. You do whatever it takes to make it work.

Markstrom is still at .895 Save percentage. You could argue Vladdy at .881 has been equally as reliable so far this season.
Goalies are never a sure thing. I don't think Wolf necessarily has a high chance of becoming a starter, I'd have to see him for extended periods at the NHL level.

Are large goalies becoming a thing of the past? Do you have any evidence of this trend?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #7168
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You need not to be terrified though, the Flames won't trade Vladar to play Wolf, they will do what the Flames always do, screw up another prospect goalie.
I don't think the Flames have ever really screwed up a goalie prospect. They just haven't panned out the way we hoped they would.

There's nothing wrong with giving Wolf atleast another year in the AHL. If he tears it up again then you look at bringing him up. I don't think Vladar's new contract should mean Wolf is stuck in the AHL another three seasons either. it just means he has to work for it instead of just being given it.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #7169
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
If/when Markstrom gets hurt this season, and we would have to use only Wolf, we’d be done. Not to mention killing Wolfs development and confidence at the same time.
Agreed. There is absolutely no chance the Flames would trade Vladar this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
You are not getting a bonafide 1RW for a package involving Vladar. The cap wouldn't work and he is still too green.

Markstrom would have to be traded as he has more value and is an established #1. The cap circus needed to.bring in the the player would also be drastically reduced.

Plenty of teams have won with subpar goaltending but I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a Vladar/Wolf combo.

Anywho Markstrom, our first and a player like Dube could probably bring back a very capable player.
Normally I would agree. But there is a shortage of goalies right now, and a few teams have struggled in the playoffs recently (Leafs included) at least in part because of goaltending, so goalies are more valuable right now than they have ever been.

The phrase 'selling high' gets used too often in trade threads, and often for the wrong reasons. But the value of goalies right now might be the highest it's ever been.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #7170
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Hold on, I'm confused. The Leafs have weathered the storm of having both their NHL goalies injured. Murray is scheduled to start on Tuesday. Samsonov's injury wasn't that bad and should be back soon.

So why are they trading Nylander for a backup goalie?
There was speculation from some reporter that the Leafs might be interested in Vladar. There is no chance the Flames would trade him, however, someone asked what a trade might look like. So I proposed one.

For discussion, and fun.

Also, Vladar might be better than anything the Leafs have.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #7171
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

HFBoards being HFBoards

Spoiler!
Old 11-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #7172
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed. There is absolutely no chance the Flames would trade Vladar this year.

Normally I would agree. But there is a shortage of goalies right now, and a few teams have struggled in the playoffs recently (Leafs included) at least in part because of goaltending, so goalies are more valuable right now than they have ever been.

The phrase 'selling high' gets used too often in trade threads, and often for the wrong reasons. But the value of goalies right now might be the highest it's ever been.
Yes but at the same time Cap is king.

Vladar does have value but that value would be negated in having the other team eat the required cap to bring in a true top 6 RW.

Cap in for Cap out (or roughly equivalent) is the ideal situation. Having to pay for retention will drastically effect the value of the players traded.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #7173
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s sure too bad Kylington and Stone are out. The Leafs are now desperate for D. A deal could have been made pretty easily IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #7174
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Yes but at the same time Cap is king.

Vladar does have value but that value would be negated in having the other team eat the required cap to bring in a true top 6 RW.

Cap in for Cap out (or roughly equivalent) is the ideal situation. Having to pay for retention will drastically effect the value of the players traded.
of course, which is why I made a proposal that was cap balanced
Old 11-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #7175
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
HFBoards being HFBoards

Spoiler!
No thanks

And it would screw up the cap for next year

With that contract, I would not trade Lucic for Anderson straight-up (no pick included)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #7176
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol habs would have to give us the pick for that trade.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #7177
C_of_Red28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it just me or is St Louis the obvious trading partner? Will we see Tarasenko in a Flames jersey? If so what do you think the package will be going the other way to make the cap work?
C_of_Red28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #7178
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Few weeks ago talking with someone who works in the Flames operations department made an off hand remark watching the oiler Blackhawks game where Kane scored that Patrick Kane is plan A and B for the team when it comes to adding talent.
This was the opinion based on general workplace talk and conversations not as someone sitting at a decision making seat at the table.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #7179
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane would be a beautiful add, but I certainly can't see him waiving for us while underperforming. We need to be a no doubt contender IMO. Otherwise he'll hold out for an american club.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #7180
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s sure too bad Kylington and Stone are out. The Leafs are now desperate for D. A deal could have been made pretty easily IMO.

Noah might bring a huge return...the Leafs being the Leafs.

Could be interesting.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote