Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #2201
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The nature of that media advisory definitely makes it sound like a new international route. Travel Alberta and Tourism Calgary are partnering on the announcement. Having those partners on board suggests to me a new international link with a new tourist market for Alberta, so Europe is unlikely. I can't see enough demand for a South America route, but a Westjet link to Japan or China might be possible here. Hainan is still flying direct (and even has a price deal for next year right now), and I think AC is still doing OK with the Tokyo direct flight (even though I believe it's seasonal now).

WJ also has 7 more 787-9's on order so perhaps they saw some success with the Dreamliner flight between YYC and Toronto, and are prepared to set up an international route from Calgary with one of the new planes on order.

If I had to guess it would be Calgary's first direct flight to Hong Kong or Shanghai.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #2202
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hainan has turned the Beijing route seasonal too, just like Air Canada with Tokyo-Narita. It just ended on the 26th for the winter.

Air Canada would sometimes run the YYC-NRT flight YYZ-YYC-NRT. So curious if you are onto something there Ozy with WestJet. Maybe they do YYZ-YYC-Hong Kong or Shanghai?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #2203
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
For crying out loud. I live on the west side of Calgary and you barely hear them. Most jets are in flight idle or close to it when they are passing overhead. I'm not sure what more people expect. There's practically no noise now as it is. Especially compared to the days prior to the parallel runway opening.
I'm also on the west side.. I think I hear 2 planes a week. Not enough for it to even register for me.

I get more upset when its actually a clear blue sky day and my dog sees the plane and starts barking at it uncontrollably.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #2204
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Hainan has turned the Beijing route seasonal too, just like Air Canada with Tokyo-Narita. It just ended on the 26th for the winter.

Air Canada would sometimes run the YYC-NRT flight YYZ-YYC-NRT. So curious if you are onto something there Ozy with WestJet. Maybe they do YYZ-YYC-Hong Kong or Shanghai?
Yeah I'm starting to think it's a NRT situation with one of their new Dreamliners, and it will originate from Toronto.

To compete with AC for links to Asia, they set up a YYZ-YYC-Hong Kong flight situation. This would make sense given the hub situation HK provides for shorter flight times to China, the Philippines and Vietnam (large populations in Calgary), as well as a competitive link to Korea. I don't think there is enough demand to fly another route to Japan.

Other option is that it competes with the direct AC flight to Seoul from Toronto, replaces the Korean Air flight from YYZ to Seoul with a new stopover in YYC. This might make sense too as ICN is a huge airport hub, and WJ codeshares with Korean Air anyways (the current plane is 787 but they may be looking at upgrading that flight to a 787-9).
Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #2205
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah I'm starting to think it's a NRT situation with one of their new Dreamliners, and it will originate from Toronto.

To compete with AC for links to Asia, they set up a YYZ-YYC-Hong Kong flight situation. This would make sense given the hub situation HK provides for shorter flight times to China, the Philippines and Vietnam (large populations in Calgary), as well as a competitive link to Korea. I don't think there is enough demand to fly another route to Japan.

Other option is that it competes with the direct AC flight to Seoul from Toronto, replaces the Korean Air flight from YYZ to Seoul with a new stopover in YYC. This might make sense too as ICN is a huge airport hub, and WJ codeshares with Korean Air anyways (the current plane is 787 but they may be looking at upgrading that flight to a 787-9).
I couldn't see Korean giving up a route like YYZ-ICN to let WS operate YYZ-YYC-ICN. However if the demand is there they both continue to operate in that scenario. Kind of like when both Air Canada and Lufthansa operated YYC-FRA for a few years.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #2206
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I don't know about the West side of the city, but I was considering purchasing a house in Inglewood and walked away from it after visiting the house in the evening. I'm okay with living near a flight path but this one was literally *right* underneath the flight path and the noise in the evening was unbelievable. I couldn't imagine living through that.
There was a time where my family had the triple noise threat of Deerfoot, the Airport and the Train line within easy earshot of our house. Honestly, after a few months, it all just faded into the background. The woo girls, hobo fights, and motorbikes racing down 17th when we lived in the Beltline was much worse.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #2207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WestJet 787 announcement here in Calgary on Wednesday:

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10...qocmN4dM0syqqk

New routes from YYC? Converting their option for 10 more frames to a firm order?

If new routes where would you like to see them go? Do they try for Asia or add some more Europe from Calgary? Or throw a real curve and go to South America?

YYC to ZAG or SPU would be grand
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #2208
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Amsterdam?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #2209
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
YYC to ZAG or SPU would be grand
SPU may be a little tricky, that's not a very long runway for the return trip to YYC. Plus it seemed a little tight on the ramp space when I was there this summer, 2 Airbus 320's, 1 757 and the ramp and customs hall was packed.

I'm thinking we may see something like seasonal Barcelona or Rome? Maybe even Bavaria flavoured and we get Munich?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #2210
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
SPU may be a little tricky, that's not a very long runway for the return trip to YYC. Plus it seemed a little tight on the ramp space when I was there this summer, 2 Airbus 320's, 1 757 and the ramp and customs hall was packed.

I'm thinking we may see something like seasonal Barcelona or Rome? Maybe even Bavaria flavoured and we get Munich?
Toronto to Barcelona was already announced last year, and Calgary already has flights to London, Paris and Dublin with Westjet. I can't see another connection to Western Europe unless there was just an overreaching demand for it, and I can't see demand for another connection to Germany given the AC route to Frankfurt.

Rome would be interesting though. That would be a huge win for Calgarians.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #2211
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A point in Barcelona's favour is that WestJet will have the stats on originating passengers on it from the summer. If they saw a good chunk of connecting passengers from out west it may be enough to get them to go seasonal on it from YYC as well.

I'd also like to see another route go year round like London-Gatwick, Paris would be my choice.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #2212
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like the announcement will be non-stop WestJet flights from Calgary to Rome (FCO) beginning in May - starting May 2 once a week, then three days a week beginning May 23. The flight is already bookable on WestJet’s website, and also shows that CDG goes to 6x a week.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #2213
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Interesting! This is great news. I really thought WJ would fly direct to Asia. Getting slots in Fiumicino must be expensive but if they're committing it would be a huge win. Is there even a direct flight to Rome from Vancouver?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #2214
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No, I don’t believe so.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #2215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm always amazed how this stuff leaks out a few hours before the official announcements, was just reading it over at airliners.net too.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #2216
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Hopefully they can fit a few more pizza ovens in the hold of the 787. Get more places doing it right.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:02 AM   #2217
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet starts up the YYC-Maui(OGG) flights again today. Notable difference is that they are using the 787's on the route due to the 737 MAX grounding. That would be a nice way to head over to Maui:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...910Z/CYYC/PHOG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #2218
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s the protocol if your are going to miss your flight while standing in the security line?

Arrived 2.5 hours early for my USA flight here at ####ty YYC and I’ve been in line for 30 mins. Based on the size of the line I’m not convinced I’ll make the 230 flight.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #2219
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What’s the protocol if your are going to miss your flight while standing in the security line?

Arrived 2.5 hours early for my USA flight here at ####ty YYC and I’ve been in line for 30 mins. Based on the size of the line I’m not convinced I’ll make the 230 flight.

Umm, talk to somebody right away and tell them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #2220
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

70% of the people in line probably have flights departing before yours...

It would also be unlikely that you are the only one on your flight stuck in line...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc