Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #21
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Revis has been released, predictably. Back to New England perhaps?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Chiefs sign Berry to a 6 year 78 million dollar deal 40 guaranteed. Very few players in the NFL are as deserving of a long term deal as Berry. He's that rare breed who never takes a day off.

Sad to see JC go. But that's life as a running back in the NFL. He's been a great pro, hopefully he signs with a team that he can still be productive with that's not in the AFC West.
Would LOVE to see JC get a shot with the Packers...but Ted Thompson is almost completely averse to signing free agents who have played in the league before.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Revis has been released, predictably. Back to New England perhaps?
That's a classic Sean Payton/Mickey Loomis move, especially at a position of need. And this is the first time in years the Saints actually have FA money to play with. Don't do it guys!! You already lead the league in dead money, let's not add to that please.

I'll be terrified until he gets signed elsewhere

EDIT: speaking of which, Saints expected to release Jairus Byrd on first day of UFA (top DB in UFA now?). The timing of the move will save them over $3M in cap space, but will result in another $3.8M of dead money to their cap. The rich get richer...in dead money

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-28-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #24
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was reading some articles on Kapernick and where he might land. He and his agent must believe there are teams that would sign him, else why would he opt out and give up that guaranteed money?

Its hard to know his value, had 1 or 2 amazing seasons where he looked like he would change the way the position was played and scouted, then sucked. Most of the articles I read mentioned the age old phrase "good qb on a bad team".

Anyone heard any team that might be more in play than others? With Romo likely to be available as well, those are two quarterbacks with good and bad potential.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Mangold might have been cut by the Jets, but at least he won the internet.

https://twitter.com/nickmangold/stat...95963580985344
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #26
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's amazing that Kapernick is now willing to stand for the National Anthem now that he is a free agent. What a man of convictions!
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So apparently the Saints are actively shopping Brandon Cooks.

I dont get it at all.

23 years old, 3 seasons of learning under him, almost 3000 yds, 20 tds, and speed to burn.

Eagles and Titans are rumored destinations...i would think a team like KC or Baltimore would be all over this as well
Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #28
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So apparently the Saints are actively shopping Brandon Cooks.

I dont get it at all.

23 years old, 3 seasons of learning under him, almost 3000 yds, 20 tds, and speed to burn.

Eagles and Titans are rumored destinations...i would think a team like KC or Baltimore would be all over this as well
He'll be looking for big money and as Brees has shown it doesn't matter who's catching the balls, he will make many of them look a lot better then they are.

Draft a guy, build up his value and trade him for multiple assets. If only Brees was younger Saints could probably build an amazing team through that strategy in thenext few years.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #29
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cooks is also insanely inconsistent. He'll go off one week and then disappear for the next three. I'm not too keen on the Eagles giving up a premium pick for him.

Last edited by rubecube; 03-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #30
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Saints spread the ball around so much so his stats will look inconsistent because of that. If he goes to a team and his the number 1 I can see his stats being more consistent. Wasn't that a reason why he is on the block? Not happy that he wasn't being the guy last year..

That said as a Titans fan I think he would look good with Mariota. Either offer up the 18th pick or swap our 5th for their 11th and we still have 2 firsts and concentrate on secondary
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #31
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

The Jets have cut WR Brandon Marshall after he failed to sign an extension with the team and asked to be released.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #32
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
The Saints spread the ball around so much so his stats will look inconsistent because of that. If he goes to a team and his the number 1 I can see his stats being more consistent. Wasn't that a reason why he is on the block? Not happy that he wasn't being the guy last year..

That said as a Titans fan I think he would look good with Mariota. Either offer up the 18th pick or swap our 5th for their 11th and we still have 2 firsts and concentrate on secondary
Yeah, basically the emergence of rookie WR Michael Thomas becoming the go-to guy in the Saints pass attack has Cooks a little butthurt it seems. I love the guy as I've said several times in the past and he's electrifying, but at his size he's going to disappear occasionally, especially against a more physical secondary. He plays fearless, but just doesn't have the physicality of another small WR like a Steve Smith, so he can disappear when doubled like that

I'm a little grossed out at his behaviour, I didn't know he had that type of "90s star WR" ego to him. It's a shame if that's how it ends up playing out, as a guy like Thomas drawing attention away from Cooks only benefits him as a small WR. Cooks/Thomas could be quite the dynamic duo for a few years if Cooks could just check his ego, really not wanting to see him get dealt. But if he can't handle not being a clear #1, then it's probably for the best.

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-03-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #33
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Marvez saying Eagles most likely to land Cooks.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #34
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Alex Marvez saying Eagles most likely to land Cooks.
Yeah, differing reports on what the pick would be. Marvez saying the price would be a second round pick and Rappaport is saying the Saints want a first. I wonder if a second plus a roster player like Barwin or Kendricks gets it done. I could live with the deal if it was for a second round pick but there are too many good options at both CB and WR at 14/15 to be dealing away that first for a guy who isn't really a true #1 WR in my books.

My first choice is Cory Davis but there's a strong chance he won't be there with the Titans, Cardinals, and Bills all picking before the Eagles.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #35
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Saints ditch Cooks for only a second rounder after trading up in the first round to acquire him only 3 years ago, I will be irate
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #36
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
If the Saints ditch Cooks for only a second rounder after trading up in the first round to acquire him only 3 years ago, I will be irate
That's a bit of a sunk cost fallacy, IMO. You have to consider the context, too. This year is a great draft for WRs, and the FA crop is pretty decent, too. Plus a team trading for Cooks isn't going to be guaranteed of getting more than two seasons out of him. A first, especially in the top 15 of the draft, would be a huge overpayment.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #37
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough, that's why I don't really think it's even worth doing then if that's all you can get, unless he's ripping apart that locker room. He's undersized, but dude is a STUD. You don't trade a 23 year old rising star WR you traded up in the 1st round to get only a couple years later for just a second rounder.

But Payton has quite the ego himself and him & Loomis have shown they like to wheel & deal, so who knows. I'm really hoping they don't do it in general, but especially not for just a 2nd rounder. We'll see what happens
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #38
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it funny how two fans from both teams involved in the rumour don't like the deal. I just think this is a really good draft and it also happens to be deep at the positions the Eagles need the most. Yeah getting Cooks fills one of those needs but I think they can get an equivalent or better player at 14 and not have the contract headache in year's time. That said, Roseman also likes to wheel and deal so I could see it happening.

Last edited by rubecube; 03-03-2017 at 02:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally, agreed. Also prob a case of me overvaluing a guy not only on my favourite team's roster, but probably my favourite Saint the past couple seasons. Whereas being on the other side of the trade, you're from the other perspective and wanting him for as cheap as possible, so looking at it from that point of view. Haha good thing we're not the GMs..nothing would get done

Yeah, if you can just get a solid WR in a deep draft, it's probably not worth it going for a guy who's probably going to want a king's ransom in two seasons or he'll walk. Actually maybe that's what Payton is thinking as well...dealing away Kenny Stills looked bad as he was a young, dynamic WR who didn't look expendable...until it turned out he apparently was. They haven't missed a beat without him (though granted, Stills is no Cooks)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #40
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Totally, agreed. Also prob a case of me overvaluing a guy not only on my favourite team's roster, but probably my favourite Saint the past couple seasons. Whereas being on the other side of the trade, you're from the other perspective and wanting him for as cheap as possible, so looking at it from that point of view. Haha good thing we're not the GMs..nothing would get done

Yeah, if you can just get a solid WR in a deep draft, it's probably not worth it going for a guy who's probably going to want a king's ransom in two seasons or he'll walk. Actually maybe that's what Payton is thinking as well...dealing away Kenny Stills looked bad as he was a young, dynamic WR who didn't look expendable...until it turned out he apparently was. They haven't missed a beat without him (though granted, Stills is no Cooks)
Yeah, to me there are just a lot of warning signs when it comes to Cooks. You take a look at his home/away and turf/grass splits and it appears pretty apparent that he benefits greatly from playing in the Superdome. That's not to say he's garbage. He's quite good, but I don't think he's worth the #1 money he's going to command in a couple of years.