Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #181
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
always love old white dudes lecturing african-americans on what is and isn't an appropriate way to protest hardcore, systemic racism.
lol!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #182
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Always love old white dudes lecturing African-Americans on what is and isn't an appropriate way to protest hardcore, systemic racism.
Oh look it's the smug young liberal (categorizing is the way you like to play I see) here on behalf of the minorities that didn't ask him to speak on behalf of them. I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm just stating why he's out of a job and why I don't blame the teams. I'm on a couple of Oakland Raiders forums that are populated by lots of black people and pretty well all of them condemned him for it there as well. I suppose you are the voice for them as well? You like to believe you are some voice of reason but in reality you have become a pest on these forums always picking out things like this to add your liberal commentary that nobody asked for. Calling poster that you disagree with as "old men" (I laugh at this one all the time as it's inevitable you will be one as well and the tables will be turned 180) and your drive by posts like this that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion. Your self righteous drivel got really old a few years ago and is barely tolerable today. It's a sports forum not a political forum so stick to the OT forum if you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion of NFL.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-26-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #183
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh look it's the smug young liberal (categorizing is the way you like to play I see) here on behalf of the minorities that didn't ask him to speak on behalf of them. I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm just stating why he's out of a job and why I don't blame the teams. I'm on a couple of Oakland Raiders forums that are populated by lots of black people and pretty well all of them condemned him for it there as well. I suppose you are the voice for them as well? You like to believe you are some voice of reason but in reality you have become a pest on these forums always picking out things like this to add your liberal commentary that nobody asked for. Calling poster that you disagree with as "old men" (I laugh at this one all the time as it's inevitable you will be one as well and the tables will be turned 180) and your drive by posts like this that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion. Your self righteous drivel got really old a few years ago and is barely tolerable today. It's a sports forum not a political forum so stick to the OT forum if you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion of NFL.
Have to agree.

These forums have really become subdued from what they were at one point. Many think for the better, and maybe that's the case even if i dont agree.

However, there is a huge double standard that continues to this day.

Racism? Unacceptable.

Islamaphobia (though i have no idea what that is any longer)? Unacceptable.

Misogyny? You better take it back of you say ANYthing derogatory about any female even if a politician.

Bigotry? Be redy to be piled on.

And to some degree, all that is perfectly fine.

But ageism? No problem. Calling people out on their advanced age is perfectly acceptable and even encouraged by a segment of posters here. It's odd because there is absolutely no choice but to get older for even them. Never any reprecussions for it, never publically told to stop.

Massive double standard that is perpetuated by the same people over and over.

Personally i could not care any less what anyone calls me...that whole "sticks and stones" thing i was taught as a youngster. Besides I can usually give a whole lot better than i take.

However, if we are going to go completely PC on every little thing, then I think its time that peoples ages become off limits as well.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #184
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Have to agree.

These forums have really become subdued from what they were at one point. Many think for the better, and maybe that's the case even if i dont agree.

However, there is a huge double standard that continues to this day.

Racism? Unacceptable.

Islamaphobia (though i have no idea what that is any longer)? Unacceptable.

Misogyny? You better take it back of you say ANYthing derogatory about any female even if a politician.

Bigotry? Be redy to be piled on.

And to some degree, all that is perfectly fine.

But ageism? No problem. Calling people out on their advanced age is perfectly acceptable and even encouraged by a segment of posters here. It's odd because there is absolutely no choice but to get older for even them. Never any reprecussions for it, never publically told to stop.

Massive double standard that is perpetuated by the same people over and over.

Personally i could not care any less what anyone calls me...that whole "sticks and stones" thing i was taught as a youngster. Besides I can usually give a whole lot better than i take.

However, if we are going to go completely PC on every little thing, then I think its time that peoples ages become off limits as well.
Yep. The same poster was calling me out as a 50 year old in another thread like it's something to be ashamed of;

Quote:
So this pretty much confirms you're in your 50s, eh?
I'm in my mid 40's yes but that does not mean I should hang my head in shame because I've been on the planet longer than some posters. It's crazy the double standard of how discrimination is frowned on but it's open season when it comes to ageism.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #185
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol.. The best thing is rube can't escape the one thing he seems to be most prejudiced against... Age. I only wish I live long enough to watch the crow being devoured.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #186
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Lol.. The best thing is rube can't escape the one thing he seems to be most prejudiced against... Age. I only wish I live long enough to watch the crow being devoured.
Maybe he does and dies early...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #187
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Maybe he does and dies early...
Hmmm, thats a little too far
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #188
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

... well, this thread has taken an "interesting" turn.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #189
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
... well, this thread has taken an "interesting" turn.
Gotta love the offseason.

In other news, its Texans or retirement for Romo.

Quote:
Report: Tony Romo believes it's Texans or retirement in 2017
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...222253573.html

It would be so much fun to bring Romo in, win a Superbowl, and watch Jerruh have a meltdown.

Last edited by The Big Chill; 03-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #190
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how about the Raiders to Vegas likely being done tomorrow? NFL wants it to happen for one very specific reason, and it's not the taxpayer money they'll get out of Nevada. It's because the Raiders leaving opens up the replacement for Los Angeles as the leverage spot to extort more taxpayer money for future stadiums, since Bay Area team #2 is pretty close to as big a market as it can get for a second team outside Chicago.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #191
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Gotta love the offseason.

In other news, its Texans or retirement for Romo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...222253573.html

It would be so much fun to bring Romo in, win a Superbowl, and watch Jerruh have a meltdown.
God I can only hope Houston is nice enough to save Denver from themselves with a QB disaster two years in a row.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #192
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
God I can only hope Houston is nice enough to save Denver from themselves with a QB disaster two years in a row.
I'm ok with the Texans taking the risk on Romo. There is really nobody else out there that could be had for a reasonable acquisition cost that could be good enough to make the Texans a real contender.

If we can get Romo on a reasonable contract, and draft a QB in the first two rounds, things will be looking a lot better. No guarantees of course, but at least that would give us a chance at having decent QB play any time soon.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #193
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure at all why Broncos fans wouldn't want Romo. They are built to win now, like right now, like they need to blow the team up and start over in 2018 because of age/the cap right now. Praying Siemian or Lynch become at least league average seems like it won't end well. Might as well gamble for one more shot since they realistically only have one more year left in their window.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #194
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The thing is that there's no expectations on Sanchez and Manziel. They would be expected to hold clip boards and if they were ever pressed into action that would be a bad thing for the team. Same with Kaepernick who simply isn't starting QB material. The difference is that with Kaepernick you would be bringing in a guy to hold a clip board that disrespected a large portion of the population. Really there's simply not a lot of upside for teams to bring him in as he won't help them win on the field and he may result in fans cancelling their season tickets.

He was within his rights to do what he did but now he's going to have to pay the consequences. I feel no sympathy to him as I feel in the name of making a political statement he disrespected a lot of good people that put their lives on the line for him and the rest of their country as well as ones that lost their lives protecting US citizens. He just picked the wrong time and the wrong platform and now he's paying for it.
I'll try to do a bit better than rubecube.

I do feel sorry for him. I don't necessarily support what he did. Not because he's wrong, some people are marginalized in the US. Sometimes because of race, or more commonly because of the class they grew up in. But he's wearing 49er gear at the time, representing an organization at that time. That's not the time or place.

People who have a hissy fit because he is disrespectful to troops are very simple. He has said a million times it has nothing to do with troops. If you or others ignore that, then that's your problem. Not his. He's not against troops or America. Just some things that don't seem fair.

And he's not all show. He puts time and money into what he believes are solutions. Much much more time and money than the vast majority of people who criticize him.

It's an odd situation. I respect him more than most the people who complain about him, yet I don't like the protest as he's doing it on company time.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #195
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
I'll try to do a bit better than rubecube.

I do feel sorry for him. I don't necessarily support what he did. Not because he's wrong, some people are marginalized in the US. Sometimes because of race, or more commonly because of the class they grew up in. But he's wearing 49er gear at the time, representing an organization at that time. That's not the time or place.

People who have a hissy fit because he is disrespectful to troops are very simple. He has said a million times it has nothing to do with troops. If you or others ignore that, then that's your problem. Not his. He's not against troops or America.H Just some things that don't seem fair.

And he's not all show. He puts time and money into what he believes are solutions. Much much more time and money than the vast majority of people who criticize him.

It's an odd situation. I respect him more than most the people who complain about him, yet I don't like the protest as he's doing it on company time.

I agree completely he has every right to do what he did...but he also has every right to suffer the reprecussions of it.

As for the bolded part...he can say all he wants he doesnt "mean the troops". The problem is though is that many of them felt extremely disrespected by it. He doesn't get to decide whether or not they feel that way no matter what he says. I get it too.If Im serving my country and at any time can be called into a situation of life and death and i see a guy who refuses to even stand for the main icon that represents that country? Screw him.

Anyhow...thread is derailed and i apologize for my part in it but was just so frickin tired of the double standard that exists.

I think Romo to Denver makes ALL the sense in the word so its too bad he may retire. Though i think he could thrive in Houston as well...but the difference in OLines is where i see him thinking twice.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #196
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Schefter saying the Las Vegas Raiders have all the votes they need to move.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #197
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL has to be a little annoyed. They get there first, but just the nature of when each season kicks off, the Raiders will play there before the Knights do.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #198
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Raiders move there, it won't be for a few years, would it? Where would they play?

As for Kaepernick (and yes, I'm another "old" white guy) I was bothered by his stance initially, but I understood his reasoning when I educated myself on it a little more. Teams are scared because he comes with a little baggage, but it all comes down to how well he can play his position. He wasn't very good at it this past season.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #199
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
NHL has to be a little annoyed. They get there first, but just the nature of when each season kicks off, the Raiders will play there before the Knights do.
Im pretty sure the Raiders will be in Oakland at least two more seasons regardless of approval. Stadium contract is two more years. Enough time for the NHL to get some sort of following?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #200
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really doubt the Raiders stay in Oakland, it's a lame duck team and, well let's face it, Oakland fans are a different breed, it could get really ugly there. If the Chargers can play at StubHub Center for a couple years, the Raiders can play at Sam Boyd Stadium too. The real problem for the NHL team is when the NBA inevitably comes to town. Unless the Vegas team is a Blackhawks level dynasty, it's pretty much dead and they'll be the new Coyotes, albeit with a better arena situation.