Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought it was bumblebees that bite, wasps sting..?
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently bees and wasps (and hornets and yellowjackets) all sting; none of them bite.

Generally (but not exclusively), bees sting once and die, whereas wasps have the ability to retract their stinger from a victim and attack indefinitely.

For much more, click here and here.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #23
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
a) They don't harm beer or meat. You'll never taste the difference.

b) Find girlfriends with bigger racks. Then you'll love it when they jump up and down and run all over the yard trying to evade the wasps.
No, they don't harm the beer. BUT... have you ever accidentally gotten a wasp in your mouth because it climbed INSIDE your beer can and you accidentally swigged it back?? I have. Luckily I felt something weird (i.e. not a liquid) coming into my mouth with the beer and spat everything out as quickly as possible. But it could have been a disaster.

EDIT: And I think it's black-flys that bite. And it hurts!!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've just realized that in my 4 decades here, I've never once been stung by either a bee or a wasp. I'm beginning to feel like I'm missing out on something.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #25
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
I've just realized that in my 4 decades here, I've never once been stung by either a bee or a wasp. I'm beginning to feel like I'm missing out on something.
Listen, it's sheer discomfort in the area. It kina feels like having your hand in a c-clamp and severely frost bitten at the same time, for about 5 minutes. It hurts like an s.o.b.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
Listen, it's sheer discomfort in the area. It kina feels like having your hand in a c-clamp and severely frost bitten at the same time, for about 5 minutes. It hurts like an s.o.b.

Really? Must be different reactions for different people. I've been stung at least 20x and while it definitely sucks, it's not affected me the way you describe. It just makes me swear alot and then find the nearest beer. And then swear again.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #27
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You see...................Wasps are best killed by fire!

Just get yourself some hair spray and a lighter and then...................well you know the drill...... You have about 4 seconds of torch time.

This of course is best done while enjoying some beers.

I like to play "Shot Down in Flames" when I do it...........
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

this thread is making me very pro-wasp. stupid wasp drinkers.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #29
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Re: Mikey_Redneck

Nay. Wasps, like neighbours, are best killed with sugar. We mastered this art back in the day, working at the gas station. There was a wasp nest in the vicinity and the buggers would be hanging around our smoke pit, so we'd bait them with sugar. Packets of sugar dumped out onto the walkway, little bit of pop to really sweeten the deal. Then the punks would buzz around the sugar pit in circles, and we'd just smack them right out of the air and they'd crash land. Then their miserable existence would end looking up at a single Dakota.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #30
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Nay. Wasps, like neighbours, are best killed with sugar. We mastered this art back in the day, working at the gas station. There was a wasp nest in the vicinity and the buggers would be hanging around our smoke pit, so we'd bait them with sugar. Packets of sugar dumped out onto the walkway, little bit of pop to really sweeten the deal. Then the punks would buzz around the sugar pit in circles, and we'd just smack them right out of the air and they'd crash land. Then their miserable existence would end looking up at a single Dakota.
Look man..............I just love fire. There are just getting fewer and fewer legal opportunities for a man to express his fascination with fire......
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

If you truly loved fire, you'd be all about the WD-40, not the hairspray...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #32
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:

My buddy and I did a very similar thing last year. He's got a big pool in his yard and wasps would always ruin the lazy beer drinking sundays in there. We would leave our beer cans around and when wasps came we would shoot them with waterguns until they crash landed, and then we would execute them with a smash from a water skateboard.

I also love killing things with fire.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I made a mini-wasp-waterboarding device so I could find out where they were planning to attack next, and where the queen was.

Waterboarding the queen is useless though she to tough

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I made a mini-wasp-waterboarding device so I could find out where they were planning to attack next, and where the queen was.

Waterboarding the queen is useless though she to tough
She to tough, indeed!

Seriously, when I first saw this thread I thought it read "Men who like Bees and are Against Wasps." My first thought was, "I agree."
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #35
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
She to tough, indeed!

Seriously, when I first saw this thread I thought it read "Men who like Bees and are Against Wasps." My first thought was, "I agree."

And now that you see it is Beer that we like, you should be in for sure!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm against bee's and dogs with bee's in their mouth that shoot bee's at you when they bark.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #37
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a youngster I was swarmed by a hive of yellowjacket wasps, so I am strongly in the anti-wasp camp.
And I am a strong believer in beer ("Beer, is there anything it can't do?") so I suppose I should join this coalition.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #38
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

I like having a beer in the afternoon and bees/wasps can kill me (two close calls in my life already) so I am a natural for this club!!!

Cowperson
Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #39
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
As a youngster I was swarmed by a hive of yellowjacket wasps, so I am strongly in the anti-wasp camp.
And I am a strong believer in beer ("Beer, is there anything it can't do?") so I suppose I should join this coalition.

I was swarmed too as a youngster. I was playing Cops and Robbers with my brothers. We had just received new scooters for the summer from them. Cops got to ride scooters, robbers had to run away.

My brother leaned a scooter up against a tree, and when I went to pick it up, wasps swarmed me. I actually passed in and out or consciousness because of how many times I got stung. My memory is spotty, but I remember my sister crying and my mom trying to get my shirt off, and there were wasps under my shirt and everything.

Back then maybe I wasn't allowed to drink beer, but now that I am older I love beer... and my hatred for wasps grows every single day.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #40
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was climbing through a barb-wire fence. My cousin (who was 8, I was 5) climbed on an rotting old stump next to the fence line and said "watch this" and stamped on it. A side fell off, and underneath was the wasp's nest (I don't believe he knew it was there). We ran screaming up to my grandmother's house (across the road and up the lane). My cousin only got stung 4 or 5 times, but once was around the eye. I was smaller and slower, so I got the brunt. My father pulled my shirt off and was stomping on it on the sidewalk as yellowjackets flew out. I have no idea how many times I was stung, but to this day a bee flying nearby triggers immediate panic. I have to concentrate to stay calm. I know bees are good and won't normally sting, but the irrational part of my brain always seems to notice the bees and wasps first.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , coalition , killwithfire , men , wasps