Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Color me surprised.

Of all the things that could hold up a deal, I sure hope it’s not salary retention.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #22
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The fact that the Flames are still in 100% sell mode while on a winning streak and 1 point out of a playoff spot immediately makes Conroy one of the best GMs in franchise history IMO. In all my years of watching this team I don't think I've ever seen this level of forward thinking
Reminds me a bit of Nashville last season.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:19 PM   #23
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Color me surprised.

Of all the things that could hold up a deal, I sure hope it’s not salary retention.
It is probably the ####ty offer the Devils are giving.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:21 PM   #24
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Conroy know he can trade with teams other than Vancouver and New Jersey?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:22 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If they want him for this season Conroy should demand an absolute ransom. Devils look like an at best bubble team right now, not good enough to compete at all with the top teams in the East and just a borderline playoff team. They have one more year of a cheap Luke Hughes and two more years of a cheap Nemec and after that they have to back up the brinks truck for both. They also have to sign Mercer this offseason and Holtz next offseason. In 24 months they will be shedding salary just to stay under the cap. Their window is the next 3 playoff rounds before they no longer get the ELC bang for their buck on a number of young assets.
Makes me wonder if Mercer or Holtz would be part of the deal? The Devils likely have to feel like they could win it all if they make this move however and probably want Markstrom coming in under $4.5M or less but they would get 3 potential runs with him and they could dump Vanacek as part of the deal.

Mercer+Vanacek+25 2nd (becomes 25 1st if Devils win the cup in 24 or 25)
For Markstrom $2M retained
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:24 PM   #26
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Of course its going to be salary retention being the hanging point. The Flames have retained on a single player in a trade, and that was a few hundred thousand dollars. You're talking about multiple millions for a player that is plying his trade elsewhere. Not Edward's style. That is going to take some major convincing and I'm not sure Conroy will be able to convince Edwards to accept those terms. Amount retained on the UFAs he's traded so far? Zero.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:28 PM   #27
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Of course its going to be salary retention being the hanging point. The Flames have retained on a single player in a trade, and that was a few hundred thousand dollars. You're talking about multiple millions for a player that is plying his trade elsewhere. Not Edward's style. That is going to take some major convincing and I'm not sure Conroy will be able to convince Edwards to accept those terms. Amount retained on the UFAs he's traded so far? Zero.
Didn't Conroy mention in an interview this past summer that he is looking forward to retaining on players to maximize returns? Thought i've seen that mentioned a few times throughout the year.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:28 PM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when people said the Flames wouldn’t sign 8 year deals or do max bonuses etc. I do not buy for a second Conroy wouldn’t have the ability to retain salary if the deal made the team significantly better in the short term future
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:29 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
He hasn't had to though, Kuz/Lindholm were a wash
Old 02-10-2024, 07:30 PM   #30
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Makes me wonder if Mercer or Holtz would be part of the deal? The Devils likely have to feel like they could win it all if they make this move however and probably want Markstrom coming in under $4.5M or less but they would get 3 potential runs with him and they could dump Vanacek as part of the deal.

If the Flames are taking on Vanacek and eat 2 million in salary I would prefer Conroy tell the Devils they have to take Vladar too and add a 3rd to the package on the devils side. Having a 3 goalie circus again next year seems undesirable if you are eating salary. But it would definitely have to be a package like that at a minimum if I was the GM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:31 PM   #31
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the value wasn’t close for Conroy either. Don’t see Jersey trading much more than a 1st for him.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:32 PM   #32
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Not sure why Calgary would retain 2 million, only to bring in an inferior goaltender...seems to me that new jersey makes out like bandits...they are just giving up their useless spare parts for a starting goaltender...any deal with new jersey has to include their first round pick in 2024, or it does not make sense for Calgary, if Nemec or Hughes are off limits, then new jersey has to pony up on a mid range 1st round pick, especially if tanev is included in the deal
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:34 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salary retention for 3 seasons adds up. Calgary paid a first to unload Monahan's 6.375 million. What is Markstrom worth before retention? Is their cap coming the other way?

3 seasons' worth of salary retention also fills one out of the three spots the Flames have.

Salary retention becomes complicated over a number of years. I imagine that talks broke down not because "Murray is too cheap", but because the Devil's aren't willing to pay enough for it. That's my guess. It shouldn't just be included as part of the deal. It limits Calgary's ability to do things over those additional years, and they should be compensated for that, especially since it seems like Conroy has the green-light to act as a middleman between different teams, and will probably have the green light next season too.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:38 PM   #34
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Didn't Conroy mention in an interview this past summer that he is looking forward to retaining on players to maximize returns? Thought i've seen that mentioned a few times throughout the year.
That was after the Zadorov trade that he mentioned this. Was one more reason he liked the Vancouver trade, retained all three retention slots.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Not sure why Calgary would retain 2 million, only to bring in an inferior goaltender...seems to me that new jersey makes out like bandits...they are just giving up their useless spare parts for a starting goaltender...any deal with new jersey has to include their first round pick in 2024, or it does not make sense for Calgary, if Nemec or Hughes are off limits, then new jersey has to pony up on a mid range 1st round pick, especially if tanev is included in the deal
I don’t see many trades where a 34 year old goalie will bring in a 22 year old center who already had a 56pt season along with a potential 1st (likely 2nd).

How is Mercer a spare part?
Old 02-10-2024, 07:41 PM   #36
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He hasn't had to though, Kuz/Lindholm were a wash
Exactly. The Flames have taken on a bad salary rather than retain. That's the way they role.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:44 PM   #37
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trade em all!
Let god sort em out
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #38
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think this is a really bad idea. I’d like for Markstrom to stay here the entire time. Or at least another year or two before a potential buyout. I’m not comfortable having Vladar teach Wolf the ropes, nor do I feel comfortable running 1A/1B with that combo. Markstrom, another story. I think it’s better for Wolfs trajectory if Markstrom stayed.

Edit: tldr: maximize value on Hanifin/Tanev, call it a day.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 02-10-2024 at 07:48 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:49 PM   #39
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Salary retention should not be an issue for the right package.
With 2+ seasons left it would be an issue
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:51 PM   #40
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
With 2+ seasons left it would be an issue
Flames shouldn't be up against the cap in that time. Retain and get a top 6 young C.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote