Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #641
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having watched four episodes now (not completely in order), I have to say the Evolution of Metal is among the best music documentaries I think I've ever seen.

The sheer honesty and openness of the interviews is not something you often see. It's rare to hear musicians be so honest about the commercial side of it all, the influences outside metal, trying to find an audience and so forth. The Glam episode was especially great in this, everybody talks so much about everything else than music that it actually becomes a really interesting look into it all, especially at the later stages when the rides are over.

And they do a great job putting all the interviews together to create a storyline that's pretty easy to follow yet doesn't dumb it down too much.

Plus the music clips. They've really dug out some great old stuff, there was a ton that I'd never really seen before. All these legends and dinosaurs back when they were still young and hungry.

Plus there's some great quotes.

"How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more."
- Yngwie Malmsteen

Last edited by Itse; 01-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #642
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have been watching, but I missed the thrash episode, which I really wanted to see. That guy makes really good documentaries, even my wife that hates metal can watch.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #643
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

New 3 inches of blood track! I like the little direction changes they take as a band while keeping the bread and butter together.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #644
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Yes, search "Metal Evolution" there have been 6 episodes aired so far.

1. Pre Metal
2. Early Metal pt1 - US
3. Early Metal pt2 - UK
4. New Wave of British Heavy Metal
5. Glam Metal
6. Thrash Metal

There will be 11 episodes.

They can be found through alternative means, VH1 Classic is not available in Canada, afaik.

Sam and Scott have done 4 documentaries, you may be thinking of "Metal: A headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal". They have done "Iron Maiden: Flight 666" and "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage".

The Rush doc I thought was really good, because I found an appreciation for Rush through that doc. I previously hated troll-boy with a passion. I was able to look past my disdain for Getty Lee and appreciate their music.

If you liked the Sam Dunn documentaries you will love the series.

They are working on a new doc called "Satan" which I'm sure will be well done.
I am suprised they did the Rush Doc, which, even though I can't stand Rush, was really good, the metal evolution have been fun to watch although the most of the shows about the origins were a bit lacking in knowledge, you definatly got the sense this was just a couple of dudes with a camera and not much of a research budget.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #645
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I am suprised they did the Rush Doc, which, even though I can't stand Rush, was really good, the metal evolution have been fun to watch although the most of the shows about the origins were a bit lacking in knowledge, you definatly got the sense this was just a couple of dudes with a camera and not much of a research budget.
Definitely check out Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. By the same team and in my opinion was a better overall documentary (1hr 30 minutes long). I love watching it.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #646
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favorite transitional metal is cobalt, followed by niobium. Can't stand osmium though.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #647
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
My favorite transitional metal is cobalt, followed by niobium. Can't stand osmium though.
I know, right?! Their last two albums were both awesome.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #648
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha wow did not realize cobalt was the name of a band..
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #649
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
Haha wow did not realize cobalt was the name of a band..
Niobium isn't, but there are 3 bands called "Osmium".
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #650
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really Metal and not even that well heard of but Jerry Gaskill drummer for influential Hard rock group King's X suffered a heart attack on the weekend and has been on a ventilator since.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #651
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The new album by the Japanese band Sigh, In Somniphobia is out there and will almost definitely be my pick for best of 2012 by the end of the year.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #652
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
New 3 inches of blood track! I like the little direction changes they take as a band while keeping the bread and butter together.

http://soundcloud.com/centurymediare...od-metal-woman

and some more. so stoked on this
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #653
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a heads up to any Wintersun fans out there. Their new album Time is set to be released in two parts with the first coming late this summer. I am hoping this thing actually sees the light of day.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #654
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone ever lend an ear to Meshuggah? Their latest effort "Koloss" hit the market a few days ago. It's a tight, nut-incinerating, chugging behemoth, as one would expect from the Swedish vets.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #655
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Just a heads up to any Wintersun fans out there. Their new album Time is set to be released in two parts with the first coming late this summer. I am hoping this thing actually sees the light of day.
Two parts? I know Jari say that he is busy mixing and the CD would be released at the end of summer, but not the 2 part comment. Maybe because the CD is so long? That or he still needs to mix the thing and just wants to release half of it as fast as possible.

If you've read all his blog posts, all the delays are because of BS computer stuff, not enough RAM, plug-ins not being in 64-bit, etc. It sucks that one of the best musicians in the world has spent nearly half a decade trying to get his CD released because his computers can't handle such a massive project. Yet, if this was some crap "radio" band he'd get the money and equipment he needs.

Where'd you get your info? Is there any mention on what two parts means, like tracks 1-4 in summer then 5-8 in Winter?

I can't wait for this CD, I've listened to the self-titled album about 1000 times already (not a hyperbole).
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #656
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh hi, I just thought I'd drop by and post this piece of awesomeness:

Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #657
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Two parts? I know Jari say that he is busy mixing and the CD would be released at the end of summer, but not the 2 part comment. Maybe because the CD is so long? That or he still needs to mix the thing and just wants to release half of it as fast as possible.

If you've read all his blog posts, all the delays are because of BS computer stuff, not enough RAM, plug-ins not being in 64-bit, etc. It sucks that one of the best musicians in the world has spent nearly half a decade trying to get his CD released because his computers can't handle such a massive project. Yet, if this was some crap "radio" band he'd get the money and equipment he needs.

Where'd you get your info? Is there any mention on what two parts means, like tracks 1-4 in summer then 5-8 in Winter?

I can't wait for this CD, I've listened to the self-titled album about 1000 times already (not a hyperbole).
I got it right off his official website. He posted on the 16th and this was the part:
Quote:
"We are very excited to announce that we are going to be headlining the 2012 Heidenfest Tour in October. There was some setbacks with the album during the winter (again), but as usual we have managed to ram through them. (Big thanks to our management for helping us through the tough times!). I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!)“ Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!
On their wikipedia page it mentions that the "second" album should come out about 6 months after the first. No idea where that comes from though. This thing is going to be amazing!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #658
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I got it right off his official website. He posted on the 16th and this was the part:

On their wikipedia page it mentions that the "second" album should come out about 6 months after the first. No idea where that comes from though. This thing is going to be amazing!
Oh yeah I saw that too. I thought maybe he meant a live version of Time or something. I don't think he'll split Time into two parts, unless of course he recorded like 16 songs and it becomes something like Stratovarius' Elements CDs, or Helloweens, Keeper of the Seven Keys.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #659
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

New Napalm Death album is very good!
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #660
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The map of metal for those contemplating their next vacation destination: