Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 02:55 PM   #1161
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Charging $2-5/month would go a long way in improving Twitter. I don't imagine many who are using Twitter to read and/or contribute quality would take issue with that minor monthly charge. The morons on the other hand, it would chase a lot of them off.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:01 PM   #1162
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Sure.

My guess is they would loose maaaaaybe 20% of their current freeloading userbase, including trolls and users who barely come back.

The majority of people on there use twitter for like 2-3 hours a day. They might balk initially, but they would be back.
I'd actually be surprised if they kept 20% of their userbase.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #1163
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The one advantage to having users pay is that it would cut down on the bot/sock puppet accounts. That said, troll farms are big business this days so who really knows if it would clean up the waters.

Personally I think you should have to be a real person on the end of a Twitter account and verify it as such internally with Twitter through an authentication and verification procedure.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #1164
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Am I dumb, or would it not be palatable to just charge a 2$ user fee per month across the board and leave the blue check as an actual verification?

You might lose a few people, but lets be honest, who out here isn't paying 2$ to be on a platform most people spend hours a day on.

This would also help with troll farms, it becomes far more difficult and less likely a troll farm is going to be able to keep making bots when it actually costs money to do it.

Kill two birds with one stone?
you will lose most of the user base, right off the top 25% will just leave, at that point the platform becomes less interesting to another 10 or 15% who are there to interact with the first 25%, they will leave a few months after, at this point the platform is unable to charge much for anything as it doesnt have the numbers, it's the catch 22 of social media, it's interest is user produced, as the users drop it becomes less interesting, then something else comes along that's free and kills it.

Like Facebook Twitter is already a generation restricted platform, the kids, basically anyone under 30 dont bother with it much, Twitter is basically a legacy platform that Musk is going to kill by not realizing that when he bought it, anything Trump posts on to his 55 year old followers is going to be repulsive or wierd to 18 year olds
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #1165
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think you would lose a large percentage - more than 20%.

You also leave the door significantly more open to a competitive paltform that is free.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #1166
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And you could argue that 50 million paying users is better than 100 million non-paying users, but the problem with that is that your advertising revenue goes way down with a smaller userbase.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #1167
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And you could argue that 50 million paying users is better than 100 million non-paying users, but the problem with that is that your advertising revenue goes way down with a smaller userbase.
Depends on your goal. If you want a better product, 25% of the users but they all pay is certainly better, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that Musk actually wants to make Twitter better.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #1168
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Or just charge a fee to remove ads.. Or still charge for verification and blue checkmark as just that and have a different fee for add remove/premium features.

There were tons of more logical ways to do it than what was done.

The biggest thing I didn't like about his vision of the blue check was that he said the algorithms would prefer paying people, so you'd have to scroll way down to see non-payers' opinions.
To me, this is the easy money solution. $10/month with no ads. I’d pay that in a heartbeat, and I’d imagine I’m not alone. Free accounts still see the ads and Twitter gets paid one way or the other. I’m not sure what the drawback is.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #1169
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Depends on your goal. If you want a better product, 25% of the users but they all pay is certainly better, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that Musk actually wants to make Twitter better.
Define better.

It's a business, and he wants to maximize revenue. If a user fee cannibalizes ad revenue, it doesn't make sense.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #1170
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Define better.

It's a business, and he wants to maximize revenue. If a user fee cannibalizes ad revenue, it doesn't make sense.
Better for the users and society.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #1171
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
To me, this is the easy money solution. $10/month with no ads. I’d pay that in a heartbeat, and I’d imagine I’m not alone. Free accounts still see the ads and Twitter gets paid one way or the other. I’m not sure what the drawback is.
But you just scroll past the ads, its not like YouTube where you have to watch them to get to your content, why would you pay 10 a month to avoid scrolling on twitter, I dont understand that?
Old 11-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #1172
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Elon fired the developer that defended himself on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592186302379982849

On one hand I get that challenging your boss in a very public way will probably result in that.

On the other hand if my boss was talking nonsense throwing my code or my team's code under the bus without me being able to respond isn't fair either.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #1173
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
But you just scroll past the ads, its not like YouTube where you have to watch them to get to your content, why would you pay 10 a month to avoid scrolling on twitter, I dont understand that?
Or install an ad blocker. I don't think I've ever see an ad on Twitter, other than where people are paid to mention/promote a product (which a subscription wouldn't eliminate).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #1174
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Heh..

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592020681688244226

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592208880733663233
Old 11-14-2022, 03:47 PM   #1175
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Elon fired the developer that defended himself on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592186302379982849

On one hand I get that challenging your boss in a very public way will probably result in that.

On the other hand if my boss was talking nonsense throwing my code or my team's code under the bus without me being able to respond isn't fair either.

Did he even say anything derogatory towards Musk? Didn’t look like it. Talk about thin-skinned.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #1176
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It honestly really doesn't matter how he wants to charge people, but there needs to be a verification check done for a user that is verified. And the blue check is what people were using to see if someone is verified.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #1177
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Like all horrible bosses I've had like him, you better be a yes man and be on his program or you are gone.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #1178
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point this is going to be an epic Netflix HBO mini series, like Chernobyl but with more idiots and Porsches
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #1179
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Or install an ad blocker. I don't think I've ever see an ad on Twitter, other than where people are paid to mention/promote a product (which a subscription wouldn't eliminate).
Does that kill all the promoted tweets?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #1180
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Twitter teetering on transaction? - UPDATE: Board agrees to sell Twitter to Musk

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
At some point this is going to be an epic Netflix HBO mini series, like Chernobyl but with more idiots and Porsches

Probably more like the Uber series, “Super Pumped”.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote