Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #1121
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am a little lost on this. If your $44b company goes down the drain, how do you begin to make that up through tax write-offs?

Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #1122
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously though, you can't simply make up for losing $44B. But you can crystalize unrealized gains, in order to reduce your tax liability. An overly simplified example:

1) you lose $44B on Twitter (LOL)
2) you have $100B in unrealized gains on TSLA (because you don't realize the gains until you sell the asset)
3) on that $100B, let's say you owe $50B in taxes (for easy math - in reality, it would be less than this)
4) you crystalize $44B of TSLA, matching the loss on Twitter, and subsequently reducing your tax liability by $22B

That doesn't just make the $44B loss magically go away, but assuming that he has unrealized gains (there is zero doubt that he does), he can at least reduce his future tax liabilities, somewhat reducing the hit.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #1123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591698385824018433

Musk getting publicly fact-checked by his own website will never not be funny.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #1124
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The office spouse is always a lot more fun and pleasant to be around then the at home spouse. Plus there are no kids around so that is a huge bonus.
Haha I had this thought too. Yeah another reason management level probably prefers being in the office is they're high enough up the food chain where being in the office is actually fun. Get that jocular office vibe they love, and it's easier to see the side piece when you're going into the office.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #1125
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Seriously though, you can't simply make up for losing $44B. But you can crystalize unrealized gains, in order to reduce your tax liability. An overly simplified example:

2) you have $100B in unrealized gains on TSLA (because you don't realize the gains until you sell the asset)
3) on that $100B, let's say you owe $50B in taxes (for easy math - in reality, it would be less than this)
4) you crystalize $44B of TSLA, matching the loss on Twitter, and subsequently reducing your tax liability by $22B

That doesn't just make the $44B loss magically go away, but assuming that he has unrealized gains (there is zero doubt that he does), he can at least reduce his future tax liabilities, somewhat reducing the hit.
Well that “crystallized loss on his reputation” is the bigger issue. Like there were a lot of people who seem to think he’s brilliant, but this has been a debacle. It’s pretty clear he has no idea what he’s doing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #1126
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Musk is just another tech moron hell bent on creating "things" that basically destroy the work force. Don't know if it is the whole revenge of the nerds thing or what but it's funny...pretty much every tech "founder" wants to pick away at the workforce with their tech. Creating tech to eliminate jobs seem to be their mantra without a single care to the longer term ramifications.

Musk is just another short term thinking pied piper, the only way he will ever make money is to create hype, issue stock, create debt and then steal from the kitty ahead of all others. When the s**t hits the fan, hide behind lawyers.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #1127
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Creating tech to eliminate jobs seem to be their mantra without a single care to the longer term ramifications.
You mean literally the principle on which all human progress in the last couple hundred years is based on?

Musk is a twat, but I personally wouldn't peg it on this specific reason.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #1128
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
You mean literally the principle on which all human progress in the last couple hundred years is based on?

These tractor manufacturers are just trying to drive hard working plowmen out of business.
It's unconscionable!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #1129
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Assembly line, industrial revolution...efficiencies...sure...of course. BUT not at the level of speed technology and tech guys go after it. They seem to create glee out of saying "thousands of jobs will be eliminated by this technology".
Old 11-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #1130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
These tractor manufacturers are just trying to drive hard working plowmen out of business.
It's unconscionable!
They had to break the formidable Ploughman's Union somehow.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #1131
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Musk actually a comedic genius? The fake verified accounts have had me howling at times.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #1132
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I guess Musk and some of his devs had a public, uh, discussion about software performance.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/...tter_rpc_spat/

Mildly amusing for anyone who's had to deal with tech management.

Both my manager and my manager's manager are former technical people but for the most part they're both good in recognizing they haven't dug deep into things for a while and trust me and my team's assessments, so I can't complain.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #1133
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I guess Musk and some of his devs had a public, uh, discussion about software performance.

Both my manager and my manager's manager are former technical people but for the most part they're both good in recognizing they haven't dug deep into things for a while and trust me and my team's assessments, so I can't complain.

Thanks for that...pretty intense actually. Kind of obvious these peeps want Musk to shut up and go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yikes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #1134
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

As long as you keep putting those cover letters on your TPS reports then the managers can stay out of your hair.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #1135
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder how much he really regrets not taking that $1b out. I suppose it would be worse for his hubris than just doing whatever he is doing now with this micromanager showman display.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #1136
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well that “crystallized loss on his reputation” is the bigger issue. Like there were a lot of people who seem to think he’s brilliant, but this has been a debacle. It’s pretty clear he has no idea what he’s doing.
No question - his biggest loss from all this will be to his reputation.

And to be clear, I was not suggesting that he (intentionally) took on Twitter as a tax write-off (LOL). I was merely answering the poster's question of how that works.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #1137
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wonder how much he really regrets not taking that $1b out. I suppose it would be worse for his hubris than just doing whatever he is doing now with this micromanager showman display.
I don't think that was an option. He could have tried, but Twitter would have sued him to make him complete the deal and chances are he would have ended up having to buy it anyway.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #1138
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't think that was an option. He could have tried, but Twitter would have sued him to make him complete the deal and chances are he would have ended up having to buy it anyway.
The more interesting thing is if he just doesn't have anyone who can talk sense into him when it comes to decisions like buying twitter or if he just disregards them all.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #1139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The more interesting thing is if he just doesn't have anyone who can talk sense into him when it comes to decisions like buying twitter or if he just disregards them all.
Someone must have warned him about the risk in waiving all diligence on the transaction.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #1140
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

So,

Option A - Pay $50B in taxes, which go to Health Care, building schools, etc.

Option B - Lose $44B and pay $22B in taxes for a net of $66B out of your pocket and less money for the public good.

What a great, smart human being Musk is by choosing Option B.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote