Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #2521
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
Ha, yeah, here I think I'm a rockstar, then I rode the xc race course on the sunshine coast. It was quite humbling. Same with the test of metal course in squamish. Awesome fun ride, but not easy like the riding is here.

If you go out to Razors Edge, Door Jamb or Black Rock you will be challenged and it won't be easy. Even closer Seeya/5th Horseman/T-Dub/Toothless/Billy Dog are no walks in the park either. Or pick an old classic out of the BBCR bible. If you are referring to West Bragg Creek then I agree with what you are saying but we have all levels around here for sure!
Old 08-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #2522
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
How often would you have to change a chain and cassette on a road bike? I would think you should be able to get 3-5000 kms from a chain and double that for the cassette?
As long as you keep them reasonably maintained, yeah. I usually change the chain and cassette at the same time on the road bike.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #2523
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...vers-1.3190500

Disgusting. So much animosity from drivers towards cyclists in this city. I get that there are bad cyclists, but whatever happened to driving defensively?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #2524
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently down in whitefish for a few days and yesterday we rode at the ski hill and today we did about 25k on the whitefish trail.

I think I am done with biking at ski resorts as I feel like I spend about 85% of my ride time on the brakes, although I might feel different if I had a full on downhill rig rather than my all mountain rig. I should also mention it is very dry at the resort and a lot of time it felt like riding in baby powder.

The whitefish trail was awesome, very buff and the climbs are manageable lots of flows stuff. We did about 25k......

We have one more day here and then home to Calgary on Sunday
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #2525
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to get a GoPro so if some ahole does this to me they won't get away with it. If it's worth it for you to injure and maybe kill someone to save yourself 5 seconds on your drive, perhaps it's time to turn in the license and get a bus pass.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #2526
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
If you go out to Razors Edge, Door Jamb or Black Rock you will be challenged and it won't be easy. Even closer Seeya/5th Horseman/T-Dub/Toothless/Billy Dog are no walks in the park either. Or pick an old classic out of the BBCR bible. If you are referring to West Bragg Creek then I agree with what you are saying but we have all levels around here for sure!
I've ridden Razors Edge, T-Dub, Toothless, and Billy Dog. They are more challenging for sure. My wife rides west bragg with her singlespeed hardtail dekerf 26er. It's all you need there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #2527
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...vers-1.3190500

Disgusting. So much animosity from drivers towards cyclists in this city. I get that there are bad cyclists, but whatever happened to driving defensively?
Gross, and look at the top remark right now. People are messed.

I drive pretty aggressively, but if I see a bike or motorbike near, I treat them differently than a car. I still obey traffic laws, but I give enough space so that IF something happens, I don't take their life away.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #2528
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
I've ridden Razors Edge, T-Dub, Toothless, and Billy Dog. They are more challenging for sure. My wife rides west bragg with her singlespeed hardtail dekerf 26er. It's all you need there.
Love taking the 19lb hardtail to WBC. It's so nice sometimes to smooth all the way up with none of your power lost to suspension. But SS?? Holy hell I cannot image how tough that is without a 32T:40T gearing ratio.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #2529
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Love taking the 19lb hardtail to WBC. It's so nice sometimes to smooth all the way up with none of your power lost to suspension. But SS?? Holy hell I cannot image how tough that is without a 32T:40T gearing ratio.
she runs a 32T:18T. My wife is a freak. She captained her University soccer team to a national championship. Her first year of mountain bike racing, they moved her up to expert within 3 races. I can put on 4 times the miles she does in the spring, and I still chase her...which isn't a bad thing. I like the view.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #2530
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Jensen USA is having a pretty large sale right now!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #2531
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there could be trouble in my house as a result of this sale
Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #2532
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are you getting? I emptied my cart probably three times before I finally orderd.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #2533
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to get a GoPro so if some ahole does this to me they won't get away with it. If it's worth it for you to injure and maybe kill someone to save yourself 5 seconds on your drive, perhaps it's time to turn in the license and get a bus pass.
Yup. In my entire life I've never come close to injuring someone on my bike. I ride defensive as hell on my bike, even on the sidewalk a bunch if I don't want to go on the road. However I'll slow way the hell down to walking pace if I get within 5 feet of a pedestrian. Had cars hit me twice, one I'm pretty sure was on purpose as well as having things thrown at me from out of cars.

I've got a gopro and I use it for security now, not once have I ever come close to putting anyone in danger but I've nearly been killed by others. The dangerous cyclists are in the small minority.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #2534
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
What are you getting? I emptied my cart probably three times before I finally orderd.
There will be a huge disconnect between what I would want to get versus what will I actually get......I'll likely buy nothing, as the wife's patience would be really tested if there is a line item from Jensen USA on the visa bill
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #2535
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else get hit by the ticket bait station setup along 5th st, between 17th and 15th ave sw?

The bike lane is closed with a sign with a bicycle, a sign with a detour right, and some orange cones/barricades angling towards the sidewalk. Every biker veered up onto the sidewalk, due to the suggestive signs, then BAM at the next street a cop writes you a ticket.

I explained how ridiculous it was to bait like that, as it actually had enough suggestion to make me break my habit of walking my bike on sidewalks...

As I was getting written up by a grumpy cop, he kept yelling "this guy is getting a ticket for you!" to each cyclist that passed us doing the same thing. I asked him how this was helping and he said "next time you won't break the law." I told him I don't break this one normally unless there is a misuse of signs that causes a mistake.

I called into the city to file a complaint and to get them to re-do their signage to avoid this situation. The guy said it will take a couple business days to get out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #2536
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's horrible. Way to go good cop! Hope you are having an awesome day making our city a better place!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #2537
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey gang,

Finally purchased a mountain bike (2011 Santa Cruz Tallboy!) - thanks for all the insight and recommendations.
Anyhow, I do have to replace one tire (back tire) - currently has Maxxis Ikon EVO (tubeless). MEC sold out unfortunately. I could order online, but anxious to get going. Any other recommendations? (My plannd riding style is more XC in nature).
A friend suggested Racing Ralph (appropriate for my last name) or Rocket Ron or possibly Maxxis Ardent if can't find those two.
Schwalbe Nobby Nic keeps coming up in some "top tire" lists/reviews. Thoughts?
Open to suggestions (and where to find in the city! Thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #2538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got an Icon that I really like.

Bike shop should have some options for you.
http://thebikeshop.com/product-list/.../29-inch-1106/
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #2539
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

RaRa's are awesome on the rear, unless you have conditions like the last week. Those shallow knobs pack solid with silty-mud and will make you feel like an Initial D drift racer over roots. RoRo and NoNi would definitely be a bit better on the back to cover our current mucky conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #2540
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have nooby nic's on my rocky mtn - they seem fine.

perhaps i am not as connected to my bike as i should be, but to be honest, in all my years of mtn biking i can't say i have ever thought, wow, this tire on my bike is crap.

i have bought tires from walmart, can tire, on-line, LBS so lots of different brands. this is my second set of nobby's.

As an aside, the price of bikes tires in general seems to be getting ridiculous with seemingly limited choices in the under $50 range......not sure i am ready to pay $90 each for rubber. I would also say that the life span of newer tires does not seem as long as it should be.

i am now going to go back and yell at clouds and whatnot

Last edited by Northendzone; 08-24-2015 at 12:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread