Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #421
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Middleton has reached an elite level of whining.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #422
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nearly blew it with some abysmal free throw shooting at the end there, but a win is a win.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #423
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Four in a row!
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #424
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just when I thought playoffs weren’t going to be a possibility this year, the boys pull me back in
Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 PM   #425
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That game got pretty intense in the 4th. Nice little win and the team finally seems to be on a roll. Siakam has been incredible lately.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #426
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The number of 3-point buzzer-beater wins in the league insane right now... those two DeRozan ones, Kevin Porter Jr last night, and now RJ Barrett tonight.

Meanwhile, Utah's now checking in with a mile-long injury report, so the Raptors' run of catching good teams missing stars continues (but I'm not complaining!).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #427
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

wow, the Utah lineup tonight.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #428
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

FVV carrying the Raptors.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #429
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Triple double for Steady Freddie.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #430
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Credit to Utah, that was a very game effort and made that much harder than it appeared. Pretty good chance Van Vleet will be considered the best undrafted player of all-time when he retires.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:58 PM   #431
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

5 in a row. Fred is the man.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #432
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred is certainly the man on the team, but this team is definitely not a playoff contender. It's great that they have a hardworking group and good management, but this is a year they need to tank. There have also been a few publications that boldly predicted Fred would be dealt at the deadline. I'm not against it completely because they'd be selling at an absolute high, but I don't know who you'd replace him with? They have zero confidence is Flynn. Personally he's young enough to keep and build around him and Barnes, so tanking would be the best situation. Anyway, the team is in a tough spot because they're definitely pretenders this year. Gotta get that high pick to build around.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:03 AM   #433
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be shocked if Fred went anywhere. I think there's zero chance that happens. He's Lowry's successor as the emotional heart of the team, and is already a better player than he was at the same age.

I think the tank that needed to happen for this team already happened last year, to come out of that miserable season in Tampa with Barnes (who I think is a future franchise player, but I might be overrating him) was an absolute win. If they finish at the bottom this season I have no problem with that and another lottery pick would be amazing, but I don't get the sense that management is even expecting this. They want to see development and signs that the key pieces on this team can play together and be competitive.

This team isn't a playoff contender right now, but I like the upside of all of our starters and see them as building blocks for a contender. It's the bench scoring and undersized bigs that have been responsible for most of our losses this season and I fully trust Masai's ability to fill those holes without the need of another lottery pick - whether it's a mid-1st rounder, FA, or trade.

Flynn has had plenty of opportunities for a late 1st-rounder, but he's been very disappointing every time I've watched him. I have my doubts that he is NBA-caliber, but the same could be said about Fred at points in his first three years so who knows. On the other hand I really like the tools Banton has, the Raptors probably favour him over Flynn right now.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 12:59 AM   #434
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Fred is certainly the man on the team, but this team is definitely not a playoff contender. It's great that they have a hardworking group and good management, but this is a year they need to tank. There have also been a few publications that boldly predicted Fred would be dealt at the deadline. I'm not against it completely because they'd be selling at an absolute high, but I don't know who you'd replace him with? They have zero confidence is Flynn. Personally he's young enough to keep and build around him and Barnes, so tanking would be the best situation. Anyway, the team is in a tough spot because they're definitely pretenders this year. Gotta get that high pick to build around.
The league is so wide open right now tho. No harm in hanging around and remaining competitive for a few years to see if you can land a big piece via trade or FA to catapult you to contender status again. Or perhaps Scottie evolves into a big time player and one of the good young Canadians decides to come home in a couple years.

I agree the full teardown is necessary in basketball when it's rebuild time but I don't think this team is there yet.

Note to mention they seem put a really high value on the culture within the organization that has been built in the last handful of years and I would be surprised to see them go out of their way to challenge its strength anytime soon.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #435
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think there's any chance the Raptors trade one of their big pieces. It's a tough year for tanking, because of all that parity and because it's generally thought to be a pretty weak draft class.

Like Miles said, the starters are fine, but the bench is thin and inexperienced and lacking a couple critical roles (a true big and a scorer). With a league-average bench, this is a top 4 team in the east.

Heat, Nets, Bulls, and to a lesser extent the Bucks have a short win-now window due to contracts and age. Raptors salary situation is perfectly positioned for a window opening in 2023-24, when a lot of those teams are past their peak.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #436
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

the proper move is to be an organization people respect so depth players will want to sign with you and then hope you can get a big free agent when the time is right (or get lucky on the draft).

There's no real point in going all in on tanking. Has that strategy worked?
Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #437
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
the proper move is to be an organization people respect so depth players will want to sign with you and then hope you can get a big free agent when the time is right (or get lucky on the draft).

There's no real point in going all in on tanking. Has that strategy worked?
In basketball it’s worked endlessly if the tank acquires you a highly talented player. I don’t know what this years draft looks like, but assuming it’s bad as other have pointed out, maybe tanking isn’t the greatest route. But if they do see a top five they want and they can deal Siakam, having a solid four players to kickstart the push would be great. It’s still a star driven league not only call wise, but tendency to win-wise. Gotta have a solid starting five at minimum.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #438
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incredibly entertaining and frustrating game. Hitting even their average on foul shots or open 3s and they probably win this. Suns' sustained defensive intensity was really impressive and something the Raptors should learn from.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #439
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Barnes, No Trent Jr, went toe to toe vs one of the top teams. Raptors will be fine.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #440
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

That Suns v Raps game had playoff intensity. Imagine if fans were in the building. Even with the loss it was a great game.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote