Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #41
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How can Tre be so good at signing RFAs but so bad at signing UFAs?
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #42
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
This was my thought too. I would imagine BT would have tried that option (as it's superior to the buyout IMHO) if it was available.

To me, this points to a lot of teams having cap issues and I am worried that there is not a market for Frolik (who we probably need to keep anyway just to have a warm body at RW)

What a mess

Anyway, good luck Stone. Was always paid too much in my opinion, but certainly was never a problem on or off the ice.

Let's not forget that Stone somehow had a 15 team NTC...
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #43
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has an NHL GM bought out more contracts that he is responsible for signing than Treliving?

Stone is never going to hurt your bottom pair but signing him to a 3 year $10.5 million contract 6 days after acquiring Hamonic was a surprise at the time and another overpay for bottom roster guys.

Luckily with Lucic being buyout proof and no room to sign new players, it should be a while before we see one of these guys again.

Would rather have sucked it up and gotten him off the books at the end of the year but Flames are in a squeeze.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #44
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I still wonder why no one is taking Stone for a late pick with 50% retained.
No team that needs him wants to give up assets for a 1 year contract. It's the same issue with Brodie.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

By the way, this transaction means that the Flames can only buyout one more player in the second buyout window for the remainder of this current CBA.

Also means that the Flames have roughly 2.667 million in dead cap for the next two seasons.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #46
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wish a buyout wasn’t necessary - there is too much dead space on our cap.

Does this mean Treliving isn’t getting the offers he was hoping for on Brodie / Hamonic and so felt this was a necessity to clear cap space? The cap not going up this year really hurt as it made so many teams desperate to get under the cap and not enough teams to take it on.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #47
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
No team that needs him wants to give up assets for a 1 year contract. It's the same issue with Brodie.
Apples and oranges.

5-6 dman at $1.75m when options are available in ufa market at 1/2 price.

Brodie still has value, how much is to be determined. Stone did not.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #48
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't really get the acquisition to begin with. Good luck to him wherever he lands.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #49
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Our problem of Valimaki, Andersson, and to a lesser extent Kyllington all proving to be NHL defencemen and stepping in while Micheal Stone recovers from a career threatening blood clot has nothing to do with the pro scouting being bad, if anything, it's been amazing.

At least we contemplate options like buyouts to ensure we are competitive, versus shipping out for damaged goods and insurance payouts on the cheap like Ottawa.
I think you may be confused with my post. I was critical of the pro scouting, not the amateur scouting. I’ve actually been very complimentary of the work the amateur scouts have done. If anything, we’ve diverted way too many assets from the amateur scouts in favor of the pro scouts.

Who knows, maybe in another world, the Flames never traded for Brian Elliott and the Flames end up drafting Alex Debrincat and then we never sign Neal.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #50
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
I really wish a buyout wasn’t necessary - there is too much dead space on our cap.

Does this mean Treliving isn’t getting the offers he was hoping for on Brodie / Hamonic and so felt this was a necessity to clear cap space? The cap not going up this year really hurt as it made so many teams desperate to get under the cap and not enough teams to take it on.
Looks like there is very limited market for the players we are trying to move due to the lack of cap. Teams with cap space are leveraging their position and probably throwing low ball offers to see who bites. Game of chicken going right now. Have no doubt treliving will be able to maneuver the situation and get us compliant with tkachuk signed.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Brad's got to make some better depth signings.

Difference with this one was it wasn't because Stone was incapable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One can only hope Treliving is learning from his mistakes as these buyouts combined with the Neal debacle have been pretty ugly for the franchise and the self inflicted wounds have made his own job more difficult than it needed to be.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #53
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving's mistakes are starting to add up.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #54
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Apples and oranges.

5-6 dman at $1.75m when options are available in ufa market at 1/2 price.

Brodie still has value, how much is to be determined. Stone did not.
I think that this moves Signals that Brodie stays. The Flames can't afford to move another D-man. Carrying 7 capable D-men is a must. If someone gets hurt, and someone will, the Flames don't have a player to replace them from the AHL.

I am fine with Kyllington, and Valimaki, splitting the season until someone gets hurt. I don't want to see a situation where Davidson, or an unknown KHL commodity has to see regular minutes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #55
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Brad's got to make some better depth signings.

Difference with this one was it wasn't because Stone was incapable.
Yeah, there was nothing wrong with the initial acquisition. Stone was excellent with Brodie leading into the 2017 playoffs and solidified an RD position that desperately needed it.

The issue was re-signing him. Three years seemed a bit much, especially after acquiring Hamonic. Two might've been perfect to allow the rookies to really step in during this upcoming season.

Anyway, Stone will land somewhere, I'm sure. This defensemen market seems like it's straight out of July 1, what with Gardiner, Hutton, Kronwall, Shattenkirk, and Stone all available.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #56
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think he gets another NHL contract.
A few years ago I might have disagreed but with the cap landscape as it is I'm inclined to agree. The only thing in his favour is that he's a right hand shot.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
How can Tre be so good at signing RFAs but so bad at signing UFAs?
Big physical players with relatively limited skating ability. Bouma, Brouwer, Neal, Stone, you can add Hamonic to that list if we give him an extension instead of letting him go as we should, we're already seeing some red flags there.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #58
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I feel like they shouldn't have made this buyout and don't think they wanted to.

Just don't think the trade market is there for Brodie, Frolik, Hamonic and it's painted them in a corner
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #59
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think he gets another NHL contract.
League minimum with Vegas as a favor to his brother maybe.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #60
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think that this moves Signals that Brodie stays. The Flames can't afford to move another D-man. Carrying 7 capable D-men is a must. If someone gets hurt, and someone will, the Flames don't have a player to replace them from the AHL.

I am fine with Kyllington, and Valimaki, splitting the season until someone gets hurt. I don't want to see a situation where Davidson, or an unknown KHL commodity has to see regular minutes.
I think trading Brodie is still on the table. Flames would just have to replace him with someone cheaper. Andersson is ready for a top 4 role, so really we'd be in the market for a depth guy.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: