Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #41
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Try to take off the Flames goggles .
Where can you pick these things up?

Can they be prescription?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #42
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stone lost his spot *twice*.

Once in November, once again in the playoffs.

Beat out for a spot by both Fantenberg AND Valimaki (twice).
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Look at the salaries that Fantanberg and Prout signed for this off season. Gives you an idea what Stone’s value would be pegged at around the league.

Seems pretty clear Peters is not a fan of Stone which limits his usefulness to the Flames unfortunately.
There is a lot wrong with this post. First off comparing Stone who is a solid 5-6 guy who can move up in a pinch to the value of two borderline NHLers is not accurate. He was also hurt for all of last season so speculating on his relationship with Peters is also kind of ridiculous.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #44
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Nah, it was once. Lost it and never got it back. Only played three games down the stretch to rest others.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #45
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
More of a list of things that happened then a time line.

well, okay.
So if you agree that Stone was passed on the depth chart prior to injuries, isn't it clear how the coach views him? I don’t see what you’re trying to argue here.

I’ve said many times that I believe buyouts are a bad idea but we know current management doesn’t think that way. I expect they place very little value on Stone as a seventh defenseman.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
There is a lot wrong with this post. First off comparing Stone who is a solid 5-6 guy who can move up in a pinch to the value of two borderline NHLers is not accurate. He was also hurt for all of last season so speculating on his relationship with Peters is also kind of ridiculous.
It’s not a relationship thing. I believe Peters was icing the best lineup he can and doesn’t take much analysis to see where Stone fit when healthy.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #47
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not being a fan of someone, hockey or life, generally means you don't like them. Peters might think Stone is a good depth player but he was just passed by too many guys in Calgary.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #48
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

I think he just lost out to Andersson

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Is Stone a happy go lucky type off the ice? I'm personally convinced that Peters hates happy people.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #50
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Where can you pick these things up?

Can they be prescription?
No but come in all team brands. Other teams fan's with their branded fan goggles are just waiting for the Flames to flip them a third round pick for their contract mistakes that are actually pretty good players... or were pretty good at some point in their careers or might be pretty good in the future...... but surely would play top-6 top-4 with the Flames.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-31-2019 at 12:18 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Not being a fan of someone, hockey or life, generally means you don't like them. Peters might think Stone is a good depth player but he was just passed by too many guys in Calgary.
Why does it matter what Peters thinks of Stone as a person when we’re talking about icing a hockey team? If I didn’t know better, I’d guess you’re trying to parse words to prove some kind of made up point.

Just so it’s abundantly clear, I have no idea how Peters views Stone as a citizen. I do have a reasonable idea of where he sees him fitting in the lineup though.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #52
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look at the salaries that Fantanberg and Prout signed for this off season. Gives you an idea what Stone’s value would be pegged at around the league.

Seems pretty clear Peters is not a fan of Stone which limits his usefulness to the Flames unfortunately.
Pretty well establishes "Strange Brew" as a Ricardodw alternate account. Notice you didn't quote yourself this time!!
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #53
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why does it matter what Peters thinks of Stone as a person when we’re talking about icing a hockey team? If I didn’t know better, I’d guess you’re trying to parse words to prove some kind of made up point.
Not as a person...
Old 07-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #54
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Getting beat out by Andersson doesn't mean you're not an NHL D. I still believe Stone is a solid bottom-pairing RD. His main issue is that we have 3 top-4 quality RD ahead of him on the depth chart.

That being said, I think the more relevant fact is that Prout got ice time ahead of Stone down the stretch. It could just be that Stone hadn't seen game action since November, so Peters was more comfortable having Prout in. Or it could be that Peters had Stone behind Prout in his rankings, which would be pretty damning for Stone.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #55
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
That being said, I think the more relevant fact is that Prout got ice time ahead of Stone down the stretch. It could just be that Stone hadn't seen game action since November, so Peters was more comfortable having Prout in. Or it could be that Peters had Stone behind Prout in his rankings, which would be pretty damning for Stone.
Flames defense pairings had chemistry going into the playoffs, and Stone was returning from a major injury. I think those were major factors in him not playing significantly towards the end of the season.

Irrespective of that, the Flames d-core the upcoming season is going to be stronger than the beginning of last year, with Valimaki and Andersson improving over the course of 2018-19. Stone probably will find himself out, and at 3.5million that is an expensive #6/7. Doesn't mean that he isn't a serviceable bottom pairing d-man. He just is lower down the flames depth chart.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #56
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Getting beat out by Andersson doesn't mean you're not an NHL D. I still believe Stone is a solid bottom-pairing RD. His main issue is that we have 3 top-4 quality RD ahead of him on the depth chart.

And then Fantenberg got ice over Stone and Prout.

And then Valimaki got ice over Fantenberg, Stone and Prout.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #57
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
No but come in all team brands. Other teams fan's with their branded fan goggles are just waiting for the Flames to flip them a third round pick for their contract mistakes that are actually pretty good players... or were pretty good at some point in their careers or might be pretty good in the future...... but surely would play top-6 top-4 with the Flames.
Just so tiresome that you have to label/diminish those that disagree with you rather than just making the case that the player doesn't have much value.

It's not just you, others do it too. But I just disregard the rest of the comment from that point on as dribble.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #58
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
And then Fantenberg got ice over Stone and Prout.

And then Valimaki got ice over Fantenberg, Stone and Prout.
All of that after missing almost the entire season with a blood clot. Not sure he was ever in the mix to steal a job down the stretch given his inactivity
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
All of that after missing almost the entire season with a blood clot. Not sure he was ever in the mix to steal a job down the stretch given his inactivity
I agree.

A guy on the bubble couldn't get back in after being away from the ice for 40 games.

But he had already essentially lost his job to Valimaki by November. If he had the same contract as Prout, does he even make it to November ahead of Valimaki? I don't think so.

Flames rookies were pushing and he was the first casualty.

The situation hasn't exactly improved for Stone either.

Buyout seems more or less inevitable.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #60
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Just so tiresome that you have to label/diminish those that disagree with you rather than just making the case that the player doesn't have much value.

It's not just you, others do it too. But I just disregard the rest of the comment from that point on as dribble.

It diminishes the value of the ingore function when people keep quoting certain posters
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post: