Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

SPC 13(c)(ii):

For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings
pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day
following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time
; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'll be sad if Stone is bought out. I know he's had blood clot issues. But didn't he play towards the end of the season (maybe I'm wrong)? Seemed like the issues were behind him.

I still think he's a useful option for many teams. RHD are always needed and are usually one of the most in-demand assets in the league. 2 years left at 3.5 for a middle 4D with a big shot isn't too bad.

I will honestly be shocked if there isn't much interest in him and it comes down to a buyout. I know many teams have cap issues and are looking to move players around. Stone being bought out is purely a business-move and nothing to do with his on-ice play. But someone, somewhere has to have a need for a D like him.
I still think trading him with even 50% retention is better than a buyout. Very slightly bigger cap hit this year but none next year. Does any team want a solid RHD at $1.75 for only one year? I'd think yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #23
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lol... so no one (except for the Flames and the NHL - we hope) really knows what the exact timeframes are for the buyout period. Seems to me that everyday is a "business" day for the NHL except for major holidays.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Interesting to note -- the Flames can only perform three of these August-ish buyouts over the course of this entire CBA.

They have used one thus far, on Troy Brouwer.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #25
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I still think trading him with even 50% retention is better than a buyout. Very slightly bigger cap hit this year but none next year. Does any team want a solid RHD at $1.75 for only one year? I'd think yes.
Yes... any trade that we retain 50% or less is better than a buyout for sure... we may even get a pick or prospect in return, which would be icing.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Lol... so no one (except for the Flames and the NHL - we hope) really knows what the exact timeframes are for the buyout period. Seems to me that everyday is a "business" day for the NHL except for major holidays.
The CBA says that if there's a reference to day, it includes all days. Unless otherwise specified. And the contractual provision in question doesn't specify business days. It just says if the deadline falls on a Sunday, it goes over one day.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #27
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If a team is interested, I think they would rather have a chance to sign him to a league minimum (up to 1 million) after he is bought out. Or at least wait for training camp and see how he performs. I was, and still am, a big advocate for Stone. I would love for the Flames to find a way to keep him, or trade him for assets.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #28
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Interesting to note -- the Flames can only perform three of these August-ish buyouts over the course of this entire CBA.
Wow... never knew there was a limit on this. I wonder if this agreement gets extended, if these limits get reset or modified - I'm sure they'd just copy the agreement and make it a "new" one (with minor modifications I'm sure).
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'll be sad if Stone is bought out. I know he's had blood clot issues. But didn't he play towards the end of the season (maybe I'm wrong)? Seemed like the issues were behind him.

I still think he's a useful option for many teams. RHD are always needed and are usually one of the most in-demand assets in the league. 2 years left at 3.5 for a middle 4D with a big shot isn't too bad.

I will honestly be shocked if there isn't much interest in him and it comes down to a buyout. I know many teams have cap issues and are looking to move players around. Stone being bought out is purely a business-move and nothing to do with his on-ice play. But someone, somewhere has to have a need for a D like him.

Try to take off the Flames goggles . In his best year as a Flame 2017-18 he played all 82 games and his 16:44 was clearly #5 D man minutes on a team that finished 10 pts out of the play-offs.

That would be what the rest of the league would see. and then they would look a 3.5 and say they want a clear cut 3/4 like Hamonic for that sort of cap hit.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Stone was pretty good in 2017-18. He might have played 17 minutes a night, but they were effective minutes at both ends of the ice. His heatmaps are very impressive -- he was a positive influence.

He was pretty bad last year in a very small sample size, but I'm willing to give him a pass for that. I think our memory of Stone is very short; he's an excellent bottom-pair option and I think he'd be an ideal partner for Valimaki.

Also, buyouts are stupid and should be avoided whenever possible.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-31-2019 at 11:39 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The delay might be when the Flames actually filed the contract with central registry. They may have announced the deal on Saturday but may have not filed it until Monday.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #32
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The delay might be when the Flames actually filed the contract with central registry. They may have announced the deal on Saturday but may have not filed it until Monday.
Gives them a couple more days to work out a deal or two to help out the cap issue.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #33
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not sure what deal for Stone might materialize now in the final hours when the team is more desperate that didn't exist before. Why get fleeced now?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not sure what deal for Stone might materialize now in the final hours when the team is more desperate that didn't exist before. Why get fleeced now?

Brad knows what interest is out there for any of his options I'm sure... we just don't know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Stone was pretty good in 2017-18. He might have played 17 minutes a night, but they were effective minutes at both ends of the ice. His heatmaps are very impressive -- he was a positive influence.

He was pretty bad last year in a very small sample size, but I'm willing to give him a pass for that. I think our memory of Stone is very short; he's an excellent bottom-pair option and I think he'd be an ideal partner for Stone.

Also, buyouts are stupid and should be avoided whenever possible.
I'm guessing you mean Valimaki?

Agreed, buyouts are stupid. Pretty sad that GM's mess up so bad they can't even trade some players at half the salary.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the salaries that Fantanberg and Prout signed for this off season. Gives you an idea what Stone’s value would be pegged at around the league.

Seems pretty clear Peters is not a fan of Stone which limits his usefulness to the Flames unfortunately.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #37
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stone made the opening night roster and played all the October games to start the season. Got hurt, got passed by younger players, only played four game the remainder of the year. Wouldn't want to assume Peters dislikes him, he's just been passed by better options.

Hoping they don't buy him out and other solutions are still available. Stone only has one more year left, just eat it and enjoy the full 3.5 next summer.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Stone made the opening night roster and played all the October games to start the season. Got hurt, got passed by younger players, only played four game the remainder of the year. Wouldn't want to assume Peters dislikes him, he's just been passed by better options.

Hoping they don't buy him out and other solutions are still available. Stone only has one more year left, just eat it and enjoy the full 3.5 next summer.
You don’t have your facts quite right. You have him getting hurt and then passed by younger players. His blood clot was discovered November 22. He had dressed in 11 of 22 games and had been healthy scratched in 11 of his last 12 games before getting hurt.

I obviously don’t know what Peters thinks but not much of a stretch to infer some conclusions from basic facts. Has nothing to do with “liking him”.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #39
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More of a list of things that happened then a time line.

Quote:
Seems pretty clear Peters is not a fan of Stone
well, okay.

Quote:
Has nothing to do with “liking him”.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #40
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Unfortunately given Stone didn't play for pretty much all of last year and makes $3.5M (I believe), I have a hard time seeing there being a big market for him.

I bet he would only fetch a late pick at best so hopefully we don't have to buy him out and have dead cap space over a longer term.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote