Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 8 4.73%
Dustin Wolf 55 32.54%
Eetu Tuulola 53 31.36%
Jeremy McKenna 4 2.37%
Josh Nodler 3 1.78%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 3 1.78%
Lucas Feuk 6 3.55%
Luke Philp 5 2.96%
Milos Roman 17 10.06%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 1 0.59%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 3 1.78%
Ryan Lomberg 11 6.51%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Yeah, Tuulola's weakness currently is his skating, although he's an intriguing prospect because of his size, handedness and his "pissing off his opponents" -tools.
Future Lucic replacement?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Lets be honest.

Zag, Wolf, and even Nick 'frickin' Schneider should have gone ahead of Gillies.
Agreed.

I honestly don't think you could give Gilles away at this point. I imagine he will pass through waivers before opening night.

If you offered Wolf or Zagidulin as prospects for free, a lot of teams would take them. Personally, I would have put Wolf and Zag ahead of Parsons too, but not in the top 15 either.

Having said that, I went with Roman. He seems to be progressing well and I see him having a higher ceiling than Eetu.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #23
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Future Lucic replacement?

He doesn't know how to fight IIRC, but he's skating at least should be better, and yeah, he's been active in body checking.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #24
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Probably because there's a thread right now showing recent success for Wolf, and nothing for those guys?
Does two games in the middle of July really mean anything though? Or just recency bias?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Does two games in the middle of July really mean anything though? Or just recency bias?
It is purely just a matter of exposure, I think. I honestly had nearly forgotten about Wolf in the poll today, and upon seeing news of his performance at the USA WJC Selection Camp this past week was practically influenced to change my own vote. Exposure plays a huge role—more than most of us are comfortable admitting or even recognizing—in how we make these decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I had him in and around this point since I heard he was invited to those two days in July.

Making these lists is a pretty good indication of being on the radar and with that having a chance that likely exceeds his draft position.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is purely just a matter of exposure, I think. I honestly had nearly forgotten about Wolf in the poll today, and upon seeing news of his performance at the USA WJC Selection Camp this past week was practically influenced to change my own vote. Exposure plays a huge role—more than most of us are comfortable admitting or even recognizing—in how we make these decisions.
Yeah the thread didn't hurt his vote count.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #28
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went with Lucas Feuk. His name is fun to say, and he's not a goalie.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #29
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jeremy McKenna
Whether he should be on the list is debatable, but I'm voting based on the players that appear on the list.

One dimensional goal scorer but scoring goals is the most difficult skill in hockey. Excellent at getting open and finding gaps in coverage which allows him to get his hard and accurate shot off. Also terrific on the powerplay. But, his defensive shortcomings significantly reduce his probability of success. Hockey is full of junior snipers who didn't pan out, but there are a few who have turned into mighty good scorers. Over 5 shots per game is insane.

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

After McKenna I don't see anyone else as having anything more than a remote probability of playing above the third line. While McKenna has higher likelihood of busting than some others, his ceiling remains the highest. In other words, his error bar carries more variability.

This is the point in voting where ceiling, to me, starts to give way to playing any games at all in importance. This is also the point where prospects can make big gains or losses in a one-year period of time.

The Pack

Lucas Feuk
Spoiler!

Milos Roman
Spoiler!

Ryan Lomberg
Spoiler!

Luke Philp
Spoiler!

Eetu Tuulola
Spoiler!

Josh Nodler
Spoiler!

Carl-Johan Lerby
Spoiler!

Rinat Valiev
Spoiler!

Dustin Wolf
Spoiler!

N/A
Nick Schneider

No hope
Spencer Foo
Mitchell Mattson
Linus Lindstrom
Andrew Nielsen
Justin Kirkland
Pavel Karnaukhov

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #30
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Lomberg again and again.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #31
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Lets be honest.

Zag, Wolf, and even Nick 'frickin' Schneider should have gone ahead of Gillies.
Not one of them has the past success, experience and progression that Gillies has.

Zagidulin has one good VHL season and one good KHL backup season and has never played outside the Russian hockey system. Not even 1 internationally at some U16 tournemet even.

Schneider has an average-ish WHL career and a two week AHL hot streak sandwiched between some below-average ECHL play .

Wolf is an undersized goalie with one great statistical year on a junior team which pretty much is, and has been for many years, the very definition of defense-first play.

I like that we have all of them. I am intrigued by Zagidulin and Wolf is exactly what 7th round picks are for. Take a high-risk, high-reward chance on someone who maybe should have gone a few rounds higher.

But none of them are even close to a 6'6, 220lb two-time All-American NCAA champion (Frozen Four MVP), two-time World Junior team member (! gold as a backup), 130 AHL games (53-56-7 on some poor defensive teams) and 12 NHL games played (4-5-1) goalie.

Absolutely there is cause for concern. He has been below average the last two years. He hasn't shown that he can overcome a lot of adversity yet. Stockton looks like it might be a young team again this year which isn't great for goaltenders. He may not have the next level. But I really don't think that is known yet. But suggestions that we couldn't give him away or that Wolf and Zagidulin are already top 10 prospects seem a little ridiculous to me.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #32
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
Not one of them has the past success, experience and progression that Gillies has.

Zagidulin has one good VHL season and one good KHL backup season and has never played outside the Russian hockey system. Not even 1 internationally at some U16 tournemet even.

Schneider has an average-ish WHL career and a two week AHL hot streak sandwiched between some below-average ECHL play .

Wolf is an undersized goalie with one great statistical year on a junior team which pretty much is, and has been for many years, the very definition of defense-first play.

I like that we have all of them. I am intrigued by Zagidulin and Wolf is exactly what 7th round picks are for. Take a high-risk, high-reward chance on someone who maybe should have gone a few rounds higher.

But none of them are even close to a 6'6, 220lb two-time All-American NCAA champion (Frozen Four MVP), two-time World Junior team member (! gold as a backup), 130 AHL games (53-56-7 on some poor defensive teams) and 12 NHL games played (4-5-1) goalie.

Absolutely there is cause for concern. He has been below average the last two years. He hasn't shown that he can overcome a lot of adversity yet. Stockton looks like it might be a young team again this year which isn't great for goaltenders. He may not have the next level. But I really don't think that is known yet. But suggestions that we couldn't give him away or that Wolf and Zagidulin are already top 10 prospects seem a little ridiculous to me.
Gilles will easily pass through waivers some time before the end of camp. Is that not the definition of not being able to give him away for free? And I don't think it's been suggested by many (any?) that Wolf and Zagidulin should be top 10. Gilles generously was put 15th this year, he probably should be 20th or so, with Zag and Wolf in the mid to late teens.

Edit: Even Zoller would probably admit that Nick Schneider should be lower, that was a bit hyperbolic.

Last edited by mikephoen; 07-29-2019 at 07:19 PM.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #33
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have high hopes for Dustin Wolf!
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #34
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

E2 2lola!
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #35
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think you folks are sleeping on Milos Roman. I would have him on top 10 frankly.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #36
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
I think you folks are sleeping on Milos Roman. I would have him on top 10 frankly.
Does Milos have a contract? Still 19 but 20 in November, most WHL teams don't like using an overage and euro spot on one guy.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #37
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Gilles will easily pass through waivers some time before the end of camp. Is that not the definition of not being able to give him away for free? And I don't think it's been suggested by many (any?) that Wolf and Zagidulin should be top 10. Gilles generously was put 15th this year, he probably should be 20th or so, with Zag and Wolf in the mid to late teens.

Edit: Even Zoller would probably admit that Nick Schneider should be lower, that was a bit hyperbolic.
No it doesn't mean the definition because end of camps is when several good future NHLers get waived.

Binnington is the obvious here. If you treat him like an outlier (which he probably isn't, especially for goalies) then Nedeljlkovic, Ho-Sang, C McKenzie, Hyka, Lindberg, Dansk, Milano, Letestu, Puempel, Frk, Sateri, Barber, N Walker, Prosser, Porter, Kossila, Conacher, Bracco, Kaskusio... are also worthless.

Several of them are going to be in the NHL next year and a few are going to hit big.

A guy who gets sent down at any other point in the season, especially after the first month when injuries and struggling teams looking to make changes, and passes through can maybe be defined as ungiveawayable (boy that doesn't sound like a real word) but not anyone during camps.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #38
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? a round 18 runoff. Cant we just flip a coin lol.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote