Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #21
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 2019/20 - Flames Opening Lineup

Tkachuk - Monahan - Gaudreau
Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Dubé - Czarnik
Lucic - Ryan

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Yelesin
Kylington

Rittich
Talbot

Jankowski, Frolík, Brodie, and Stone are dealt.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think Frolik was perfectly in the right to speak up. Neal was playing like crap, being gifted time, and hurting the team. Frolik’s agent advocated for his client who was being healthy scratched. It wasn’t an extended sideshow or anything.
And Brad had him traded at the deadline...Frolik isn't above being scratched. The fact that it's been such a struggle to unload him should tell him and his agent that teams aren't exactly knocking down the door
Old 07-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #23
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
And Brad had him traded at the deadline...Frolik isn't above being scratched. The fact that it's been such a struggle to unload him should tell him and his agent that teams aren't exactly knocking down the door
That’s precisely why I’d keep him. If the Flames cannot get good value for Frolik and Brodie, then they should keep them. Frolik and Brodie are good players, and they can help the team. The team can make it under the cap if they sign Tkachuk to an AAV of 8 and Mangiapane to an AAV of about 1, buyout Stone, and go with 13F, 7D and 2G.

Last edited by Nelson; 07-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
That’s precisely why I’d keep him. If the Flames cannot get good value for Frolik and Brodie, then they should keep them. Frolik and Brodie are good players, and they can help the team. The team can make it under the cap if they sign Tkachuk to an AAV of 8 and Mangiapane to an AAV of about 1, buyout Stone, and go with 13F, 7D and 2G.
That cap situation would likely be untenable as a season long solution... But yeah, just having more time to come up with a better solution would be okay at this point.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So bring back the same team that got destroyed in the first round? Calgary needs to upgrade the top six
Old 07-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #26
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IMO you can't have Monahan, Tkachuk or Lucic on the same line as each other, it would just make the line too slow. They all need to be paired with two strong skaters.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Why change a line that worked so well? Lindholm helps take faceoffs, and is a big help with the defensive side of things, he also adds speed to that line.

Tkachuk-Backlund-?
Backlund is a possession beast, and even though there are times I wish he was stronger offensively, the fact that he gets the puck going in the right direction more often than not is a big reason Tkachuk is able to do what he does best, create offense. The RW on this line depends on if Frolik is moved or not, I think Frolik is enough of a professional that he can come back in after everything that happened last season and still be very effective. Sounds like at best we would get a 3rd for him, unless we had nother options to.create cap space I would rather just keep him than take a 3rd. If he is traded I can see Bennett getting a long look in this spot.

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett
Ryan was our 3rd best center last year and is an underrated playmaker, pairing him with Lucic and Bennett would give both players a very responsible and skilled center, and for Bennett he really hasn't had that since his rookie season. If Bennett is used on the 2nd line you can use either Mangiapane or Czarnik in this spot fairly easily.

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik
Mangiapane and Jankowski had chemistry in the AHL and I think Czarnik and Mangiapane can drive the play which should help Jankowski a lot. If Mangiapane or Czarnik move up the lineup than Dube comes up and is used on this line.

Giordano-Brodie
If Brodie gets moved than Andersson takes this spot.

Hanifin-Hamonic
They worked well enough together last season so may as we stick with it.

Valimaki-Andersson
If Andersson moves to the top pairing, Stone slides into this spot.

Part of me is fine with Brodie moving on, but if he does my biggest concern is rushing Andersson into a top pairing role. It's only his 2nd season in the NHL and regardless of how well he played last season that's a big ask for a young player. I do wonder if it's better to play Hamonic with Girodano and out Hanifin and Andersson together as a 2nd pairing, so as to not rush Andersson and giving him a lighter workload.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #27
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Peter will try Lindholm as a center. Last year I wanted Bennett to fill Ferland's role as Bennett has almost same style of play as Ferland except shooting.
So my lines will be:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Char
Jank-Backlund-Lucic
Mangi-Ryan-Dube
I Think Frolik will be traded before season, Brodie at trade deadline.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #28
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I think Peter will try Lindholm as a center. Last year I wanted Bennett to fill Ferland's role as Bennett has almost same style of play as Ferland except shooting.
So my lines will be:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Char
Jank-Backlund-Lucic
Mangi-Ryan-Dube
I Think Frolik will be traded before season, Brodie at trade deadline.
When I first heard Peters mention using Lindholm as a center next season, I was onboard because I thought it might mean that you can get Tkachuk away from the defensive matchups that Backlund plays. When I look closer at it I think Backlund is severely underated for what he brings to this team.

Backlund had two less points at 5v5 than Lindholm (38 & 36), but had 7 more primary points than Lindholm (30 & 23).

I would leave Lindholm and Backlund where they are as they have shown to be very effective in those roles.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:26 PM   #29
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing that becomes pretty clear to me with this exercise is the depth that this team has, I know people would like to have more, but I am already having trouble finding enough ice time for young guys that I think deserve more ice time.

I look at Mangiapane, Bennett, Dube and Czarnik and I part of me wants to fit all of those guys into the top 9 or at least deserve more of a role on this team compared to last season.

I think all 4 guys would excell if given a bigger role or more ice time, I just don't know that that is going to happen.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So don’t carry a full complement of 23 healthy players around? Can you even do that?

I don’t think that’s a viable strategy even if allowed. It’s a long season and if your cap situation is so bad you’re not carrying the full number of players allowed, it will catch up with you quick.

I don’t imagine the plan is to simply get under the cap by a dollar either. There has to be about $1 million of room to make some adds.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So bring back the same team that got destroyed in the first round? Calgary needs to upgrade the top six
Yes. And if there’s a hockey trade like the Kadri trade or the Zucker trade to do that, I’m definitely for getting a top 6 forward. But I’m also against trading Frolik or Brodie for less than their full value for cap reasons. I think the Flames could easily have more money than in my proposed scenario by signing Tkachuk and Mangiapane to slightly lower AAVs (ex: $7.7M and 1M would mean slightly more than $500K cap space), all while keeping both players until they can get good value. Heck, if you don’t need Brodie, he might fetch a 1st rounder plus at the deadline.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of shocking to me that Frolik/Brodie/stone are still here. I fear my opinion of the prior 2 having strong league wide appeal may be exaggerated unfortunately...

My view is that treliving had this as his offseason to do list :

- improve top 6: failed due to kadri nixing the deal
- goaltending 1a replacement: done
- remove neal: done
- sign tkatchuk: pending
- sign other RFA’s: so far so good, just mangiapane left

It's looking more and more like the area of improving the top6 isn't going to happen before camp.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #33
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
It's kind of shocking to me that Frolik/Brodie/stone are still here. I fear my opinion of the prior 2 having strong league wide appeal may be exaggerated unfortunately...

My view is that treliving had this as his offseason to do list :

- improve top 6: failed due to kadri nixing the deal
- goaltending 1a replacement: done
- remove neal: done
- sign tkatchuk: pending
- sign other RFA’s: so far so good, just mangiapane left
Treliving has also said he wanted to improve our physicality. Lucic does that.

Quote:
It's looking more and more like the area of improving the top6 isn't going to happen before camp.
Yup. Hopefully Mangiapane or Bennett take a step up.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #34
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the objective will be upping intensity through the line up. In: tuulola, lomberg, Lucic, mangiapane. Out: Hathaway, frolik, czarnik, neal

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-backlund-bennett
Lucic-Dube-Mangiapane
lomberg-Ryan-Tuulola

Defense:
Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-hamonic
Stone
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'll be really surprised if Tuulola makes the NHL without playing any N.A. pro games first.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #36
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I think the objective will be upping intensity through the line up. In: tuulola, lomberg, Lucic, mangiapane. Out: Hathaway, frolik, czarnik, neal

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-backlund-bennett
Lucic-Dube-Mangiapane
lomberg-Ryan-Tuulola

Defense:
Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-hamonic
Stone
Jankowski?

I think it is wildly optimistic to think that Tuulola makes the NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #37
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'll be really surprised if Tuulola makes the NHL without playing any N.A. pro games first.
Fixed that for you
Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #38
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t count him out so soon Backcheck, he does have a pretty unique toolbox and is a bit more of a desired player in terms of size/style within our prospect pool. I’m with Scorp, he needs some AHL games under his belt to see if there is anything there but he’s still only 21 and has taken positive steps in the league he’s been playing in. Still a long shot no doubt but not unequivocally a player that doesn’t play in the NHL one day; at least not at this time IMO.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 AM   #39
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Jankowski?

I think it is wildly optimistic to think that Tuulola makes the NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also out. Jankowksi was awful in the playoffs. Zero intensity to his game. Don't really seem in the teams plans going forward. Dube is better option at center.

I think eetu pulls a dube and gets a cup of coffee; probably doesn't stick around for long, but I see him on the opening roster. He's fits the mold of a fourth line agitator; might as well give him a taste.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #40
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Supposing the Flames can't move Frolik or Brodie, sign Tkachuk to just under $8M and need to be cap compliant:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Lucic
Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington

Rittich-Talbot

Kylington acts as a rover, given he can play F/D. He can step in if there is an emergency need.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote