Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #601
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on Mike Fiers for standing up and helping to blow the whistle on this. I wish more athletes would stand up for the integrity of the games they play(*cough* Patriots players *cough*).

As mentioned before, the whispers have been there for awhile, and this further cements that the Astros are doing their best to be a pretty deplorable franchise. I hope the drop off is swift and fast for those cheating cheaters.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #602
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Just so much to absolutely despise about that franchise.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #603
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just when you thought you couldn't hate them more. That's gaming in the wrong way.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #604
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Good on Mike Fiers for standing up and helping to blow the whistle on this. I wish more athletes would stand up for the integrity of the games they play(*cough* Patriots players *cough*).

As mentioned before, the whispers have been there for awhile, and this further cements that the Astros are doing their best to be a pretty deplorable franchise. I hope the drop off is swift and fast for those cheating cheaters.
Ehh. It's hard to fully credit Fiers for bravery when he went along with it in the moment, got his championship, then started commenting two years after he left.

That said, he's still several steps up from Justin Verlander, who just cannot stop going out of his way to be a hypocrite.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #605
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You don't replace a guy who is dealing with someone you hope will deal. Give him a short leash, sure. Have an arm ready the moment the next hit happens, sure.

This was basically what that coaching decision was:

Just saw this post and not sure what you’re talking about. Greinke had just given up a homerun and a walk. He had a short leash and he reached the end of it. The go ahead run was at the plate. And the guy they brought in had been lights out all season and playoffs. Funny picture but I don’t see how it applies. Lots of brilliant people after the fact of course. But Hinch played it perfect. Bring in Harris to finish the inning and have Cole pitch 8 and 9.

As for the cheating the Astros have been doing, yeah they are definitely guilty. No excuses. Not about to call Friers some kind of hero for what he says two years later though. Their punishment should be comparable but less than the Cardinals who actually committed criminal acts.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #606
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Dyson, the Reliever who famously gave up Bautista’s bat flip home run, is being investigated for Domestic Violence. I knew that guy was a POS for the way he pouted and generally acted like an ###hat after giving up the homerun. This further cements that fact.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #607
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well MLB dropped the hammer on the Astros and might for the Red Sox too.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1216797555717263360
https://twitter.com/user/status/1216800658411728899
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #608
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh yeah, inject it right in my veins.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #609
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

And fired

https://twitter.com/user/status/1216813978988490752
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #610
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's crazy.

I feel like that has to be an asterisk on the Astros, and potentially Red Sox World Series wins.

Couldn't imagine being a LA Dodgers fan. Your team makes the World Series back to back years, lose both times, and now it looks like both teams you lost to were actively cheating.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #611
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until those titles are stripped though that's still a trade every franchise would make: it's dignity, some picks and a couple million for an actual title.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #612
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ok so how hard is the MLB going to come down on the Red Sox and Cora? Just a recap: the Red Sox were punished in 2017 for using technology to steal signs, prompting the MLBs Joe Torre to issue the clear memo to teams about how’s its forbidden to use technology to steal signs, Red Sox hire another seasoned sign stealer in Cora, the mastermind behind the Houston method, Cora brings his sign stealing ways to the Red Sox and despite being caught already, the fine, the memo from Joe Torre they continued to use technology to steal signs. 5 million fine plus the 2020/2021 1st and 2nd picks plus lifetime ban for Cora?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #613
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They should strip the titles too.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #614
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Until those titles are stripped though that's still a trade every franchise would make: it's dignity, some picks and a couple million for an actual title.
Well said. Came to post exactly this.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #615
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well f*** me. Texans blow a big lead and now the Astros news.

I thought the punishment would have been more in line with the Cardinals hacking, where someone actually broke the law and went to prison, but MLB rightfully pissed that this happened after the warning about the Red Sox apple watch cheating went out. So the Astros can't complain especially because so many knew about it.

Hinch has a reputation for being totally classy and he is the only one who had a mature response to the AGM's unacceptable behavior in the fall. Sounds like he made some attempts to stop this but ultimately, he let it continue. I'm disappointed.

Luhnow is one of the smartest people you will ever meet and is driven to win. His infamous "zero sum game" interview sure looks prophetic now. I'm not surprised he didn't try to stop this.

Jim Crane trying to look statesman like. I don't want to say too much other than I have no doubt he is doing what is best for Jim Crane. But I'm glad this is the action he took.

Be better Astros.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #616
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully the Red Sox are next
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #617
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
They should strip the titles too.
Looks like a joke from the outside looking in. As not a big follower of the sport, it doesn't look credible - wouldn't be something I'd be interested in watching or attending.

Last edited by chemgear; 01-13-2020 at 05:16 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #618
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't say it was such a bad penalty levied by MLB. I read something that there was a cap on how much they could be fined, so $5MM isn't that big a deal. Relievers get that money. The 2 firsts and 2 seconds were a start. Frankly, MLB should have done 4 firsts, and 4 seconds to ensure it had some real teeth of it not happening again in the future, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure most teams would cheat if they got off with what the Astros got, so crippling them with picks was a good start, but being MLB where there are a ton of rounds really takes away from it being a deterrent.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #619
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should suspend all the players involved too.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #620
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Who's the franchise though? The GM and manager are probably not thinking it was a good trade. The fans feel like they have a tainted title. No the organization is in a bad spot. They fired all their scouts to go all in on the Wall Street/analytic/moneyball thing, and now have all lost all the guys. They lost their ace, their next best pitcher will be 37 this season.

They looked like they were set up to be a top contending team for a while, but could be in for a quick and hard fall.

Title aren't everything. Do Marlins fans really care they won 2 WS? Can you find one to ask?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote