Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Cheapest flights to Europe

I forget who the travel guru is here, so hopefully you see this!

I decided to accompany my dad while he's in Sweden... I'll be leaving around March 10th and will be there for around 3 weeks.

What i'm hoping to do while I am there though is see a Celtic FC match in Glasgow, and if I can find an affordable airline in Europe, I would love to see other teams as well, before I head north to Sweden.

Anyways, i'm looking for the cheapest flight to Europe. Preferably Glasgow, but i'll settle for the main hubs like Frankfurt or London or wherever. I remember seeing/hearing crazy deals on the FAN 960 for certain companies but havn't been listening for a while.

Does anyone know any good deals right now?

Thanks!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I think the guy you were thinking of is sample00, but I dont think he does that anymore...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
cheung31
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know some friends who used this:

http://www.flyglobespan.ca/index.asp?lan=CA
Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

ya, sorry dood, I sold the travel agency.
but you can reach her at dawn@yellowheadtravel.com
she would still be happy to help you out.
thanks
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Globespan. airtransat and flyzoom all have pretty reasonable flights from Calgary to Glasgow. I've never flown globespan but I hear its ok. Out of transat and Flyzoom I much prefer Flyzoom. Try air canada as well.. my last few flights they have been cheaper than all 3 of those, althought you will have a stopover in London . Try ryan air for flights from glasgow to Gothenburg or stockholm. My brother managed to get a flight from gothenburg to glasgow and return for about 10 pounds (not including tax) when he was studying in sweden.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've used zoom 4 times, to and fro europe. The royally p'd me off twice. You really get what you pay for with them. But they are cheap, and they do fly directly to Glasgow from Calgary.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Somewhat related - when is the best time to book a trip to Europe (specifically, I'm flying into London). I'm looking at flying in late September, coming back Mid-October. I've been watching the prices the last few weeks, and it's looking like British Airways is winning the price battle for the days I want (looking at approximately $1000). I'm not really interested in Zoom/Air Transat given stories I've heard, but would make an exception if they were 3-400 cheaper, which I haven't seen yet. Should I be waiting a while to book a flight? Or is this going to be close to the best I can get?

(and sorry to distract from the original poster...I was about to post a similar thread, but decided against it...mods can split if they want)
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't know when the best time to book is... Both times I flew to and from europe, I booked less than a month in advance. The prices were still good. But I very highly recommend paying a little extra for a real airline especially for a long flight to the UK. It is 8-9 hours.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote