Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Some of you guys...I guess if you just pay attention to the big moves that (kind of) worked and ignore all the bad moves, Treliving really is a genius!

Was trading Kulak for Taormina and Valiev good asset management for the Flames, yes or no? I'd say no. The Canadiens have done well with our cast-offs at no cost.
Where did you see Kulak fitting in the lineup and, assuming he's below Andersson, Valimaki and Stone, what did you think Treliving could get for him, (with other GMs knowing that there was a huge logjam in the bottom pairing).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Some of you guys...I guess if you just pay attention to the big moves that (kind of) worked and ignore all the bad moves, Treliving really is a genius!

Was trading Kulak for Taormina and Valiev good asset management for the Flames, yes or no? I'd say no. The Canadiens have done well with our cast-offs at no cost.

Byron was one thing - But Kulak is definitely another. There was a cost - 2 lesser assets for one.

Kulak would have been what, #8 at best coming out of training camp? I don't recall if he cleared waivers before the trade, but he for sure would not have made it through. He also would not have received the ice time he got in MTL, meaning less of a payday for him. Kulak for nothing vs for 2 AHL guys - seems like a win for everyone to me.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #23
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I still maintain that things went sour during the arbitration hearings. The comment Treliving made about people wanting a raise after missing the playoffs and being as poor as they were I think was aimed at Kulak (among others).

They played it off as an amicable trade, give the player a chance elsewhere etc but I believe neither side wanted to stay together
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #24
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is something to be said to about a GM that is willing to cooperate with a player and give him an opportunity elsewhere too. That kind of stuff goes a long way.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kulak cleared waivers on Oct 1, 2018 and was traded the same day.

The entire league could have had him for just the waiver pick up fee.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #26
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So free agents look at clubs that will trade them for nothing if they can't crack the roster? It's not the GM's job to find better opportunities for players in our system. What a waste of development of a solid NHL dman at a reasonable salary.
Sooo....better to play Kulak (#6/7) in the NHL and let Andersen, Kylington, & Vilamaki spend the year in the AHL - slowing their development.

Not sure what people saw in Kulak? Was/will he ever be better than #5 on any teams chart? The games I saw him play he was ok, not "a solid NHL d-man" yet. Surely not the difference between getting to round 2 vs missing the playoffs.

It is absolutely the GM's (and coaches) job to find the best opportunities for players in our system - clearly the best opportunity for Andersen & Vilimaki was playing in the NHL for CGY - and if they cannot, then move them along rather than let them fester, stagnate, and decline - Good luck / congrats Kulak.

It works for CGY, it works for Kulak. Be happy for the guy - it could be the best contract he ever gets.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Kulak is a good NHL depth defenceman.

Kulak wasn’t cracking the Flames D line up.

Both of those statements are accurate. Good for him and the Habs.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly, good for him. He put in his time with the Flames. He showed he was an NHL defenceman. Good to see him get a shot with the Canadiens.

It is kind of cool looking back at the 2017 prospect ranking. Unless something significant derails these guys careers, they had 5 future NHL dman in the system that summer. I think that was also the summer Brandon Hickey was traded, so potentially 6 if he puts together an NHL career. There haven’t been many times when the Flames had that much defensive prospect talent in the system.

3. Andersson
4. Valimaki
5. Kylington
7. Fox
11. Kulak
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post: