Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:
Default Moving to Calgary - Looking for accommodations

So, my son got a job in Calgary and is looking to move there

Its been many years since I lived in Calgary and I'm not sure which area he should live in.

His job is in Country Hills and his girlfriend is going to school downtown.

He's incredibly excited about the opportunity and he's particularly thrilled about moving to Calgary.

Price is going to be a determining factor as the position is entry level and income is limited.

A one bedroom apt would be preferred. However, he would willing to look at a bunch of options.

Calgarypuck has always been a great resource for us. Any input would be appreciated.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sample00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow - working far away from downtown! What's his budget and whats he doing for work?

I'd suggest he look at sunnyside. Good ctrain links, close to downtown, walkable to food and drink, close to parks, lots of apartments to choose from. Will be going against traffic for work and won't have to cross the river.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Wow - working far away from downtown! What's his budget and whats he doing for work?

I'd suggest he look at sunnyside. Good ctrain links, close to downtown, walkable to food and drink, close to parks, lots of apartments to choose from. Will be going against traffic for work and won't have to cross the river.
Thank you very much. Really appreciate it.

The budget is as lil as possible without getting sketchy.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunnyside likely won't be the right option then. It is trendy, and you pay for it.

There are lots of apartments in the NW/North Central near the train line that would likely work well for getting downtown.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In a trendy area - For a one bedroom (that comfortably accomdates one person) I'd say that minimum number is $1,000 +/- $50 depending on time of year. For a one bedroom that comfortably accommodates two people, the number is probably $1,200 +/- $75.

It's funny - people from Toronto and Vancouver are shocked at how reasonable it is. Everyone else has sticker shock the other way.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Imo, theres a lot of new super nice new condos in sage hill/panorama that area that would be very close to his work and I imagine fairly cheap.

But I prioritize my daily commute over living in a trendy area.
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sandstone, Panorama and Country Hills are decent areas. And easy bus access to downtown. In Sandstone there is an express to downtown (route 64), Panorama and Country Hills (300 or 301).

Last edited by Jiggy; 03-24-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
So, my son got a job in Calgary and is looking to move there

Its been many years since I lived in Calgary and I'm not sure which area he should live in.

His job is in Country Hills and his girlfriend is going to school downtown.

He's incredibly excited about the opportunity and he's particularly thrilled about moving to Calgary.

Price is going to be a determining factor as the position is entry level and income is limited.

A one bedroom apt would be preferred. However, he would willing to look at a bunch of options.

Calgarypuck has always been a great resource for us. Any input would be appreciated.

Is the girlfriend is okay taking transit downtown?

Country Hills and Panorama have a few condo developments, close to Vivo (rec centre), movie theatre, etc. There is the 301 bus to downtown as well as express buses during AM/PM peak times. Son could walk/bike to work depending on how close you get.

2) If your son will be driving to work, I'd also consider something a little more closer to downtown. The apartments around Thorncliffe and Huntington Hills are older and higher on the "sketch" meter. South of McKnight is a mix of old and new, moreso as you move closer to downtown.

Search on rentfaster.ca -- you can search by map and narrow down the criteria/price range. Good luck!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginla View Post
Imo, theres a lot of new super nice new condos in sage hill/panorama that area that would be very close to his work and I imagine fairly cheap.

But I prioritize my daily commute over living in a trendy area.
He's looking at a condo in Sage Hill right now. The price is more in line with what he can afford.

Thank you
Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Is the girlfriend is okay taking transit downtown?

Country Hills and Panorama have a few condo developments, close to Vivo (rec centre), movie theatre, etc. There is the 301 bus to downtown as well as express buses during AM/PM peak times. Son could walk/bike to work depending on how close you get.

2) If your son will be driving to work, I'd also consider something a little more closer to downtown. The apartments around Thorncliffe and Huntington Hills are older and higher on the "sketch" meter. South of McKnight is a mix of old and new, moreso as you move closer to downtown.

Search on rentfaster.ca -- you can search by map and narrow down the criteria/price range. Good luck!
Thanks for the rentfaster tip. We did the search and have found a couple of options for him

Much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have this one currently available - just across Deerfoot from Inglewood, so close to downtown for her and the Deerfoot for his commute.

https://www.rentfaster.ca/ab/calgary...features-97373
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
He's looking at a condo in Sage Hill right now. The price is more in line with what he can afford.

Thank you
If there is a choice, don't go for Sage Hill. It will add at least 15-20 min driving and 30+ on transit commuting to downtown compared to Panorama, Harvest Hills.

Given your son's and his girlfriend's situation, I will recommend staying close to Center St.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
I have this one currently available - just across Deerfoot from Inglewood, so close to downtown for her and the Deerfoot for his commute.

https://www.rentfaster.ca/ab/calgary...features-97373

Thank you very much.
I believe they are looking at a few but I’ll pass yours along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Sample00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.rentfaster.ca/12463

i have a 3 bedroom main floor available!

moncton golden flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thing I would figure out is who wants to do the most commuting/who can drive and park/who needs to take transit.

Those will answer where they should be looking to rent.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Sandstone, Panorama and Country Hills are decent areas. And easy bus access to downtown. In Sandstone there is an express to downtown (route 64), Panorama and Country Hills (300 or 301).
There are actually multiple express buses downtown from the Four Hills area (each neighborhood of Country, Coventry, Panorama and Harvest have their own express bus), along with the 301/300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #17
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
There are actually multiple express buses downtown from the Four Hills area (each neighborhood of Country, Coventry, Panorama and Harvest have their own express bus), along with the 301/300.
Also, don't go north of Stoney Trail to communities like Evanston, Sage Hill, etc, that will add 15-20 min to the commute automatically...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote