Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:
Default Rule Change

Folks effectively immediately if you are trading strictly cap in a deal - GMs may not deal cap without something returning. That is to say - you can't trade $20K for nothing. At minimum the same amount of cap should be traded back in the following year.

The league also reserves the right to reject any deal where something is being given up without anything being returned. We may allow deals where no value players are being supplied for AHL roster purposes.

Oct 9 2020 update:
- If a NHL team signs a college or European free agent, that is not property of a CPHL club, that player goes up for bidding using standard free agency rules and processes. The definition of this is an official announcement by the NHL club, or official report from media such as TSN that the player has been signed.
- If a NHL team drafts an overager, that was not drafted in the CPHL draft or not previously signed by a CPHL team, that player will be made available in the supplemental draft. In advance of the NHL draft, overagers can be signed as they can be now. This only applies to unsigned ones that then get drafted in the NHL.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-09-2020 at 08:59 AM.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you please define 'no value players'? That's very subjective.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Can you please define 'no value players'? That's very subjective.
AHL/ECHL players that are obviously garbage, not a guy with legit potential?

If you can't get rid of guys though through giving them away, it'll be a big hindrance for some teams as they might not have the cap space to buy out someone in lieu of signing a new player.

Maybe before dumping a player, you have to post in the trade thread that x prospect is available for a 5th and if they don't get any interest after 24 hrs then you can throw them in the freebie bin?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 12-12-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like Giordano who went undrafted and people thought were garbage?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

20k doesn't increase in value, scub AHL players can. I think the league has completely missed the mark on this while trying to flex their muscles to make a point.

Ah well, Hesla you want 20K for next year, apparently it's a big deal.

Last edited by MJK; 12-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

On this I disagree MJK. 99.9% of those scrub players will never see their value increase, The cap however always has value in this league. Even 20k.

I was out 10K just the other day after the Jagr trade. I traded Poulin (24 year old with potential) for Clemmenson with no future in the nhl cuz I had no cheese left.

CC, lets not try to complicate things vy posting which scrubs are available.

Give cap for getting cap. Trade scrubs as usual for nothing to fill roster spots.

Moving on!
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
JiriHrdina

Exp:

DC nailed it.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
20k doesn't increase in value, scub AHL players can. I think the league has completely missed the mark on this while trying to flex their muscles to make a point.

Ah well, Hesla you want 20K for next year, apparently it's a big deal.
We aren't flexing our muscles. We are filling a gap in the rules. There is zero reason why someone getting cap should not give up some the next year and 90 per cent of the league operates that way already
Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hesla and MJK, CPHL trendsetters.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rule change makes sense.

I gave MJK 20k earlier on in the year so just wondering how commishes will deal with this type of situation?
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
The rule change makes sense.

I gave MJK 20k earlier on in the year so just wondering how commishes will deal with this type of situation?
Those deals stand
Old 12-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Knut

Exp:

I am fine with it , but small dollar amounts between GMs is not a big deal IMO.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
JiriHrdina

Exp:
Default Rule changes!

In response to the concerns being expressed recently about asset imbalance in the league, and to just improve our game overall, the commissioners are happy to announce the following rule changes that will come into effect immediately. I will review the changes we are making and also comment on some things we considered but are not doing, and why.

First some general comments
  • We do not want to over-engineer this game. Too many rules restrict trading, not promote it
  • We do not want to punish or most active GMs by taking away parts of the game they enjoy
  • It is clear to us that the most effective way to improve the asset base of your team is to be more active. The game is intended to be challenging and reward those that participate the most. So ask yourself if you are doing all you can to improve your team.
- It is also clear that, as with all sports, there are cycles. Example: The Islanders won back to back championships in 2012 and 2013 – now they are one of the worst teams from an asset point of view. There is a price to be paid by going for it – but the goal of the game is to win championships. That trade off between “win now” and “building for the future” is one of the core things that spark trades. But it also means there will be teams that weaken from an asset perspective when they go for it. This is all OK

Rule Changes

All of these rules are effective immediately

1. ECHL Contracts.
a. Starting with players drafted in 2015, all 1st round picks will be given 2 year ECHL contracts. Players drafted in remaining rounds will still be given 3 years ECHL contracts. These contracts will be based on CPHL draft position, not NHL draft position.
2. Draft
a. Following the draft, the league will now hold a supplementary draft. This will be for players drafted in the NHL but not drafted in the CPHL. It will be in reverse standing order and will be held on the forums over the following week. Only non-playoff teams will be included. Each will have the chance to pick a player or pass. If they pass, the draft is over for them. We will hold multiple rounds until all teams have passed. The league will not supply a list of players – GMs are expected to do this work themselves
3. Awards
a. We are removing end of season cap awards for individual player awards and playoff wins. This is one of the biggest factors in creating the disparity as there is a huge range in cap available with the better teams having, in some cases, significantly more cap. We will still do the player awards, for fun, but the $s that come with them are being eliminated
b. Weekly POW awards will remain
c. Sponsorships will remain
d. In addition, we will start giving all teams $100K in cap space for the following season for every point improvement they make in standings. For instance, if you improve by 20 points over last season, you will get $2M extra the following season. This is a great way to reward teams that improve. We will include these awards for performance improvement for the 2014/2015 season.
4. UFAs
a. We will no longer allow teams to trade UFA rights during the off-season. If a pending UFA is on your roster at the trade deadline you will have a choice to re-sign them if you have the available cap space, or let them hit free agency.
5. Waivers
a. We will adjust our current waiver rules regarding players aged 23 and under and above a set ratings threshold (set each off-season after re-rates). No longer will teams be allowed to move players down to the AHL temporarily. They will be required to have those players, above the set rating threshold, on their roster approximately a week after re-rates are released. Essentially we aren’t going to allow teams to “hide” players in the AHL to create temporary cap space to be used for free agency
6. Re-rates
a. We make an adjustment to our off-season re-rates. More focus will be on the most recent season performance. 3 year performance will still be factored in, but even more weight will be given to the most recent season. The overall aim will be to provide younger players with higher ratings faster.

Changes considered but rejected
1. Once a player reaches 100 NHL games they have to be on the CPHL roster.
a. We can manage this through our existing waiver rules coupled with reducing ECHL contracts from 3 to 2 years for 1st rounders. Teams should though be able to use their AHL teams for depth.
2. 2 year contracts for first rounders after their ECHL deal expires
a. This would mean that first round picks are hitting RFA status in just 4 years. For most players that is just too quick based on the development of most of them.
3. Re-draft across all the CPHL: Just not an option. We aren’t going to blow up our entire game.
4. Reducing ECHL rosters: Provides less flexibility and would limit trades too severely
5. Mid-season re-rate: Too much work and introduces too much variability into the sim.

So that’s where we’ve netted out.
Quesetions/comments?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
2. Draft
a. Following the draft, the league will not hold a supplementary draft. This will be for players drafted in the NHL but not drafted in the CPHL. It will be in reverse standing order and will be held on the forums over the following week. Only non-playoff teams will be included. Each will have the chance to pick a player or pass. If they pass, the draft is over for them. We will hold multiple rounds until all teams have passed. The league will not supply a list of players – GMs
Sorry, I edit documents for Exec's for a living (not making any comments, insinuations or the such about what or how you've written, just trying to achieve clarity)

I assume it is "now" and isn't "not", correct?

Also, it seems like something is missing at the end. I'm guessing GM's will have to keep track for themselves of players not drafted or something along those lines?
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

overall, really good changes. good work coming up with meaningful change. the only thing that didn't sit right with me was the concept of money for points improvement while also eliminating performance improvements for playoff wins. Seems to me that the top teams get zero reward for being a continual top team (ANA). While i agree that we need to help teams climb the ladder i also don't think we need to stack the deck against teams already near the top. I hope this doesn't come off as self-swerving...remember ive been the worst team in the league as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Sorry, I edit documents for Exec's for a living (not making any comments, insinuations or the such about what or how you've written, just trying to achieve clarity)

I assume it is "now" and isn't "not", correct?

Also, it seems like something is missing at the end. I'm guessing GM's will have to keep track for themselves of players not drafted or something along those lines?
Yes correct on both. Updated. thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #17
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rules overall look OK...BUT

I think implementing the UFA rule immediatly is a farce. For the active GM's like myself that have made moves all year to build a solid team with current UFA rules in mind, only to have that taken away a week out from the deadline becomes a complete waste of time.

How do I know by the trade deadline I want to sign Rick Nash when I don't even know what his rating will be? Especially considering that rule is also changing.

The UFA rule in particular should be for 2015-16 season, to do this a week out from trade deadline is ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #18
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

How do I join this?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
overall, really good changes. good work coming up with meaningful change. the only thing that didn't sit right with me was the concept of money for points improvement while also eliminating performance improvements for playoff wins. Seems to me that the top teams get zero reward for being a continual top team (ANA). While i agree that we need to help teams climb the ladder i also don't think we need to stack the deck against teams already near the top. I hope this doesn't come off as self-swerving...remember ive been the worst team in the league as well.
The top teams, if they have strong asset bases, are very well equipped to make moves an be competitive. The approach here is not to punish them, but also not to provide them with even greater abilities compared to lower teams.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #20
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Rules overall look OK...BUT

I think implementing the UFA rule immediatly is a farce. For the active GM's like myself that have made moves all year to build a solid team with current UFA rules in mind, only to have that taken away a week out from the deadline becomes a complete waste of time.

How do I know by the trade deadline I want to sign Rick Nash when I don't even know what his rating will be? Especially considering that rule is also changing.

The UFA rule in particular should be for 2015-16 season, to do this a week out from trade deadline is ridiculous.
All these changes impact GMs and they will have to adjust.
You still have the option to re-sign the ones you value. I would imagine you'll be re-signing Rick Nash.