Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #621
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching Dark Phoenix. It was...alright. Pretty much on par with the last couple X-Men group movies (Apocalypse, etc). I was left wanting more, and I'd been hoping that they'd get the Phoenix storyline done well. It just kind of...is. Wasn't impressed, sadly.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #622
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Just finished watching Dark Phoenix. It was...alright. Pretty much on par with the last couple X-Men group movies (Apocalypse, etc). I was left wanting more, and I'd been hoping that they'd get the Phoenix storyline done well. It just kind of...is. Wasn't impressed, sadly.
Not sure how you can do the Phoenix Saga and not have Wolverine!

Also does anyone else think the actor that plays Beast would be better suited to play Cyclops? He looks exactly like him. Not whoever played Cyclops in this movie.

The cartoon did it the best and that's a fact!

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #623
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Also does anyone else think the actor that plays Beast would be better suited to play Cyclops? He looks exactly like him. Not whoever played Cyclops in this movie.
I was kinda thinking that Beast and Cyclops should have traded actors in this one!

Having sat on it a bit now, I think what bugged me the most is that you could clearly see the 'big 3' really mailing in their part. It's very evident every time one of them is on the screen that they feel they are way beyond this franchise anymore and want nothing to do with it. Really screws around with the suspension of disbelief.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #624
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
For a Netflix horror film The Perfection was pretty damn good. I liked it a hell of a lot more than the 2017 Australian piece of crap Boar.

I thought The Perfection was a very pleasant surprise, even if the end was a little over the top- the rest was pretty fantastic
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #625
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starfish. Cross it off your list. What a horrible piece of trash.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #626
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quite enjoyed Godzilla King of Monsters. I agree the human characters were annoying, but boy did the over the top story lines really make up for it.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #627
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Under the Silver Lake is great if you have a weird sense of humour, which I do.

Great cinematography, score, performances. Sometimes it's a bit too weird for its own good but overall I loved it. It's an unraveling mystery type plot like Chinatown or The Big Lebowski with a similar slacker type main character. The locations really made me want to go back to Los Angeles for a visit.

From the same writer director as It Follows, which in my opinion is a horror masterpiece for the first 45 minutes or so until it goes off the rails a bit.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #628
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Under the Silver Lake is great if you have a weird sense of humour, which I do.

Great cinematography, score, performances. Sometimes it's a bit too weird for its own good but overall I loved it. It's an unraveling mystery type plot like Chinatown or The Big Lebowski with a similar slacker type main character. The locations really made me want to go back to Los Angeles for a visit.

From the same writer director as It Follows, which in my opinion is a horror masterpiece for the first 45 minutes or so until it goes off the rails a bit.
I agree. The LA locales chosen for its location shoots (Griffith Observatory, Echo Park Lake, The Last Bookstore, etc.) definitely made me recall Chinatown and The Big Lebowski (as well as The Long Goodbye). There is a long history of noir films shot in LA so I'm sure that's what Mitchell was trying to capitalize upon.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #629
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dark Phoenix was horribadful.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #630
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm bored at work, here are some movie reviews:

Free Solo: Holy ####! was my first response after watching this. This left me on the edge of my seat even though I knew the ending. It was an unbelievable accomplishment to film this unbelievable accomplishment making it one of the greatest documentaries of all time. I'm only taking off half a point because that Tim McGraw song at the end annoyed me. 9.5/10

Polar: Wow this movie is a mess. The "stylish" and graphic parts with the organisation of assassins is one of the stupidest things I have ever watched and doesn't even fit into B movie or so bad it is good territory. Also, whoever decided to cast Matt Lucas as the bad guy should never work in Hollywood again. Then you have the slow burning revenge drama with Mikkelson and Hudgens which is actually enjoyable and has a lot of potential. The ending left me wanting a sequel which puts this as possibly the worst movie I have ever seen that I actually want to see more of. 3/10.

First Man: Damn this was a good movie and way sadder than I was expecting. This hits you in the feels from the first scene. I appreciated the movie focusing on both Neil Armstrong's accomplishments and his personal life to give me the full picture of this incredible man. The performances of Gosling, Foy, and the supporting cast are top notch and the music and FX are great. This is a must watch. 10/10

Always Be My Maybe: Okay Netflix movies you have been redeemed. This was very funny, very touching, and overall very enjoyable. Yeah it has the same tropes and predictability found in the romantic comedy genre however is boosted up with great writing, genuinely funny comedy which doesn't resort to crude humour, many heart warming moments, and great romantic and comedic chemistry between Ali Wong and Randell Park. 9/10
Old 06-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #631
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Godzilla was rough but with a fist pump ending. You'll find it especially amusing how they use the old pilot guy that looks like he walked over from the bar into a sci-fi film as walking exposition to explain all the crazy, confusing #### going on that will hurt your brain to make sense of. Just don't try.

Shaft was a good time, way funnier than expected, if you are able to remain unoffended by the jokes. Clearly "old timer" humor that's a bit behind the times. But its hard to not find it hilarious still coming from Jackson. Anybody else and people would be up in arms. Felt like one of those 90s classics that you've seen several times over the years because it's so watchable.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-14-2019 at 02:17 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #632
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Godzilla was rough but with a fist pump ending. You'll find it especially amusing how they use the old pilot guy that looks like he walked over from the bar into a sci-fi film as walking exposition to explain all the crazy, confusing #### going on that will hurt your brain to make sense of. Just don't try.

Shaft was a good time, way funnier than expected, if you are able to remain unoffended by the jokes. Clearly "old timer" humor that's a bit behind the times. But its hard to not find it hilarious still coming from Jackson. Anybody else and people would be up in arms. Felt like one of those 90s classics that you've seen several times over the years because it's so watchable.
It is a 90s classic; he literally did the same movie in 19992000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #633
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was kind of disappointed by Godzilla. I think it suffered from some of the same issues as Pacific Rim 2. In Godzilla 2014, the monsters felt huge, they moved slowly. They felt real. They had weight. The camera angles were from that of the humans.

While Godzilla 2019 looks great, it feels less authentic. It seems like the monsters can turn on a dime now. You can see that these are huge monsters, but you don't feel it the same way as in Godzilla 2014.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #634
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I just saw Godzilla. I found it really boring and almost fell asleep a few times.

Only good part was "Seven". Does anyone else get Natalie Portman vibes from her? I think she grows up to be a great actress.

Oh yeah one other thing about the movie...Everytime I heard Godzilla's roar inside my head I would hear the opening chords to Brain Stew Green Day. That Godzilla soundtrack was pretty great when I was 14.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #635
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Isn't this new one a sequel to the 2000 film?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #636
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's a sequel, hence the lack of reference to the first one.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #637
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

24 Frames

The last film from the late, great Abbas Kiarostami. I would not consider this one of his more accessible works like Certified Copy so if you were introduced to Kiarostami by that film, this one may not be for you. The premise of the film was to take 24 of his still photographs (mostly of landscapes within window frames, door frames, etc.) and animate it into short films, re-imagining what may have occurred a couple minutes before and after the image was forever captured. While watching this, I was thinking some of these "frames" would make great instruction tools for a film class, showing how tension or empathy or mystery can be generated from a dialogue-free, single static shot using sound effects, score, movement, composition, etc. It's a gorgeous film but I found it hard to sit through all 24 frames (and I think the last frame acknowledges this) but admired Kiarostami for remaining so avant-garde right to the end.

Birds of Passage

If you look up the synopsis of this film and find out that it's about the rise and fall of a family crime organization involved in illegal drug trading in Colombia, you probably think you know what the movie is about. In one sense, you do know because the plot does rely too much on cinematic tropes. But this is not a movie about the Medellin drug cartel and ruthless drug barons but rather about the very early days of drug trafficking in Colombia by indigenous communities who got in way over their heads. There is quite a bit of focus on the culture and traditions of the Wayuu people so a good chunk of it is an ethnographic film as well. It's a weird mash-up but I was never bored.

Booksmart

After having watched PEN15 and Eighth Grade over the past year, I found this movie to be really phony. Most of the actors/actresses seemed much too old to be playing high-schoolers and those grad parties were, to say it mildly, too unrealistic, which is a problem when much of the plot involves the protagonists going from one party to the next. And when one of the protagonists gets thrown in jail and her best friend bails her out instead of her parents, I threw in the towel. The bit involving Mike O'Brien as the pizza delivery driver killed though.

The Perfection

This film was alot of fun and the first act crackles like a son-of-a-b****. The rest of the movie can't sustain the same level of tension once the audience realizes the plot is a variation of the Rashomon effect -- although Richard Shepard (The Matador, The Hunting Party; great to see him back making movies again) did clearly make an effort in keeping the rest of the movie nasty and fun. Kudos for the casting of Allison Williams opposite Logan Browning, an African-American actress. I'm pretty sure part of the the tension I experienced was because of the residual fears I have for all black people when they are around Allison Williams. That sequence on the bus culminating in a, um, kitchen implement being pulled casually into frame will no doubt be one of the highlights of the year for me.

Shoplifters

Took me a while to catch up with Hirokazu Kore-eda's latest just because I've seen nearly all his films and they are starting to feel overly familiar to me. This is another one of his family dramas but I thought Shoplifters was especially well observed (even though the premise of how this makeshift family was formed is difficult to believe) and Kore-eda was able to pull me so deep into the daily rhythms of this family that I felt pangs of loss when their lives were disrupted. Great performances from the ensemble cast.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #638
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Watched Hereditary last night. Toni Collette was terrific as the mom. The youngest kid was creepy as hell. The movie itself was not very good. On top of not being very good it wasn’t scary. It was kind of silly looking back on it. 1.75/5
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #639
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Watched Hereditary last night. Toni Collette was terrific as the mom. The youngest kid was creepy as hell. The movie itself was not very good. On top of not being very good it wasn’t scary. It was kind of silly looking back on it. 1.75/5

Saw that in theatres, and yeah - I’d even take off an additional point. Nothing really “worked” at any point in that movie.

One of the worst movies I’ve seen in theatres in recent years.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #640
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always chuckle when my reviews show up on the same page as snoochieboochies. His choice of movies compared to mine makes me feel like an uncultured rube.