Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a season ticket holder, and decently old CP user, I’ve always kind of appreciated the fact that people could get seats at face/discounted values on here. I’m definitely not against allowing above face value, I’d just hope the existing culture of “CP discounts” manages to stick around.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is legal so I dont see why the seller cant decide their own price. If they jack things up too high then people just won't buy them and it will sort itself out.

People will eventually catch wind and sign up for the sole purpose of selling tickets but I'm sure you already have that happen occasionally and that's why theres certain posting rules in place.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted nothing above face value, but if it's going to happen I'd like to see a cap put on it, like 10% above face max or something
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted no? But I also feel that given that at any time playoffs are not a guarantee. So yes to playoff ticket free market?

That said, I've also been granted a fair share of freebies from STH'ers here on CP when I was looking for tickets so perhaps maybe a vote change to yes so those kind enough can make some portion back from the freebies they give out from time to time? Fair balance and all. CP ticket exchange has been a great community tool and usually good on prices.

I don't know. Tough call. Just adds a work load on mods I think for the hawks that can roll in and just screw it up for everyone.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I voted nothing above face value, but if it's going to happen I'd like to see a cap put on it, like 10% above face max or something
This is seems like a logical option. My fear is that there would be too much haggling, or bartering.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #26
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As others have said, let the market decide. There is no guarantee that the seller will get the price they're listing the tickets for, and will eventually have to lower their price if it isn't selling. The option to sell above face for premium games gets offset by the less popular games where I have to sometimes take a loss.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #27
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't buy/sell tickets on CP very often but I will add this: the notion of "face value" is flexible, as evidenced by the Flames raising and lowering the price of tickets based on demand. Something to consider.

I do think this is a reasonable compromise; the reality is that playoff tickets are always in huge demand and that may not always align with "face value":

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I will second this:

Regular season - max at face value
Playoffs - can go over face value, but a cap on the max (maybe 50% or 100% over face value?)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #28
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I have no horse in this race.

I don't have tickets to sell, and I don't live in or can travel to Calgary, so I have no need to buy them either.

On the one hand, I like the idea that this place is for Flames fans, and we support each other. For the most part, you're not selling tickets to John Doe, but a poster with a history of support. Selling at face value is a way to ensure the ticket is going to someone that will appreciate it as much as it is getting rid of the ticket you cannot use.

On the other hand, I have no issue with selling tickets at market value. Through the avenue of CP there are no fees, currency exchange rates, or additional taxes. Meaning a $500 ticket here is a better value than a $500 ticket on a reselling site.

I honestly don't know where I fall, but perhaps face value be a regular season rule, and playoffs allow for market value?

I don't know how to enforce this, but if the site does opt for allowing market value selling, perhaps a small fee/payment to the site to pay for site maintence, upgrades, hosting fees, etc, could be implemented.

*Note I've been typing this on my phone, in the car, in between driving the fam from store to store, I hope its coherent.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted no because my biggest concern is that it then potentially attracts non-contributors to the forum just because they are trying to scalp tickets and they know they can hit their demographic on CP - and then the Buy/Sell forum just becomes Kijiji V2.

Maybe there can be some rules in place to help allow it since I do think it would be nice to allow the guys that are actual fans just trying to make a few extra bucks get some money back for games they would rather not go to (ex. Leafs games).

Maybe only longer term contributors can post for above face value (on CP for 5+ years), or as others mentioned maybe a max cap on how much above face value you can ask as well as to not attract the true sleazeball scalpers (20%).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-22-2019 at 02:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Laissez-faire

With the exception that you must be a regular contributor to do so, which provides somewhat further piece of mind. As ^^ mentioned, you don't want kijiji V2 types coming here and taking advantage of the community either. I would feel much better buying from CP than anywhere else and don't want secondary sales sites to reap the rewards with all their BS fees.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #31
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don’t like the idea of profiting from other fans. That said, I don’t like the idea of people lowballing sellers either.

It is tough, but I vote no.

PS I am likely to be in the market for playoff tickets and will probably end up paying well over face.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #32
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I have always looked at it is the tickets at or below face value at CP is because of the community and you are putting a flames fan in the seat. If I am wanting money then there are venues out there for that.

I've sold some of my premium games on the ticket exchange because I know I can get a decent chunk if I can't go. It is a plus for me that the amount goes as credit towards my tickets.

I am probably in the minority, but I attend almost all the games (including preseason probably missed 7 to date) so I can't see myself selling playoff tickets as I sure as F am going to be there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #33
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I just don’t like the idea of profiting from other fans. That said, I don’t like the idea of people lowballing sellers either.

It is tough, but I vote no.

PS I am likely to be in the market for playoff tickets and will probably end up paying well over face.
This post will really be my last comment on the matter lol.

Sellers are really only looking to maintain their cut that stubhub would otherwise take from them. If they try to earn more profit then the buyer would just buy from stubhub. If you are going to pay well over face wouldn't you want it as cheap as possible? You benefit and the seller benefits, and stubhub and TM loses. I really don't see any downside for CP community at all.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #34
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be someone who may be able to drive in for a playoff game or two. I can go to the ticketmaster re-sale site but I'd prefer to buy here.

I'd suggest face value or a set % above face value here. If a seller wants more they can go to ticketmaster and do that as well.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #35
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have no horse in this race.

I don't have tickets to sell, and I don't live in or can travel to Calgary, so I have no need to buy them either.

On the one hand, I like the idea that this place is for Flames fans, and we support each other. For the most part, you're not selling tickets to John Doe, but a poster with a history of support. Selling at face value is a way to ensure the ticket is going to someone that will appreciate it as much as it is getting rid of the ticket you cannot use.

On the other hand, I have no issue with selling tickets at market value. Through the avenue of CP there are no fees, currency exchange rates, or additional taxes. Meaning a $500 ticket here is a better value than a $500 ticket on a reselling site.

I honestly don't know where I fall, but perhaps face value be a regular season rule, and playoffs allow for market value?

I don't know how to enforce this, but if the site does opt for allowing market value selling, perhaps a small fee/payment to the site to pay for site maintence, upgrades, hosting fees, etc, could be implemented.

*Note I've been typing this on my phone, in the car, in between driving the fam from store to store, I hope its coherent.
if you start adding fees here, then what's the point?

has to be kept simple. either "face value" or let the market decide.

no extra rules depending on the game or time of year.

the bonus would be knowing you're likely selling to a flames fan and the ticketmaster/stubhub people are not getting their huge gouge.
the buyer is still saving money. if I paid $150 for a $100 ticket, at least there isn't another $50 or more in service fees added to it.

I bet there are more than a few people who want it to remain face value that have had no problem for the past few years not caring if the STH is losing money, and snapping up cheap tickets. give the STH a chance to make up for all those times.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #36
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, if i was willing to pay over retail price for a ticket, i'd rather give my money to someone here and hope that they post pictures of themselves enjoying the money so i can see how foolish i was to pay over retail for a 3 to 4 hour event.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I bet there are more than a few people who want it to remain face value that have had no problem for the past few years not caring if the STH is losing money, and snapping up cheap tickets. give the STH a chance to make up for all those times.
This is the biggest thing for me. If people are fine with picking up a $200 ticket for $50, don't be upset when the door swings the other way when the demand warrants it.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is a very good point. I've bought plenty of tickets here for less than face, and often less than STH price. Many generous sellers here not trying to gouge.

Why can't it work both ways if the market dictates it.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #39
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think its a win-win if you can get more season ticket holders selling their tickets on here. Then nobody (seller or buyer) has to pay the ridiculous ticketmaster markup fees.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #40
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a very fair point.

Think the key though is we need to still somehow limit it to actual CalgaryPuck contributors.

We don't want the trusted CP Buy/Sell forum just to be flooded with less trustworthy scalpers trying to leverage the marketplace if it gets opened up to being able to sell above Face Value. Because that would be bad for both the buyers and sellers on this site.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote